Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: shaolin staff?

Originally posted by germpest
    the staffs we use are very hard and don't bend at all. My staff is stainded white oak, or something, it's pretty cool, and it's about 6'2". but you get more power from the center grip. pulling and pushing at the same time. For example, if you hit some one in the balls and then hit the in the nose, when their head is coming down from the groin hit, the force of that punch is twice the strength at least.
    I bet you that can be done just as quickly using a single-ended grip, but you would have the advantage of the leverage generated by the single-ended grip.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

no_know - it is, or a punch and a kick, but that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the combined forces. The groin hit causes the head to come down fast. The speed his head comes down and the speed you punch him in the face is much like the pushing and pulling aspect of the middle grip.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    The end staff grip of flexible staff can do the same with a poke and a flick

Or flick shot to the groin then flick shot to down comming head.

But with end gripping it can be as fast as balanced grip only without shifting of the feet or stance. It is more ecconomical of effort and can have at least the same power.

And the grion then face, that seems more like strategy than Power.
    Last edited by No_Know; 03-11-2003 at 03:47 PM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Originally posted by germpest
    no_know - it is, or a punch and a kick, but that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the combined forces. The groin hit causes the head to come down fast. The speed his head comes down and the speed you punch him in the face is much like the pushing and pulling aspect of the middle grip.
    I understand what you are saying.

But the simple physics says that the single-ended grip provides better leverage. Same reason why you hold a baseball bat at one end and not in the middle.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

baseball bat is not 6 feet long. and the time it takes to swing with an end grip is longer, plus it is easier to take away.

You are assuming that you swing the 6' pole like a baseball bat (which isn't impossible BTW). It's all about leverage and fulcrum points.

Look, it is abvious that you are failing to understand the use of a pole using the single-ended grip. It is a simple matter of physics. Look up how levers & fulcrums work then you might understand it a bit better.

I understand what your saying.

Song Jiang Zhen

Germpest,
    Since we were talking about Shaolin staff I am talking about the method I was taught which matches what was written down by people who studied at the Shaolin Temple in the Ming dynasty.
    Later I will do a complete translation of these works for all to read.

In this Shaolin method, since it is not known what type of technique the opponent will use, it is safest to keep the point aimed at the opponent.
    Then, depending on the situation and type of weapon he has you can alter the circumstances.

In Song Jiang Zhen school of weapon fighting it is different.
    They have preserved the movement of troops on the battlefield in their school of weaponry.
    It needs a very large group of people to practice.
    Everyone has a different weapon, be it long or short.

As the people run around each other in strict battle formation they attack according to a fixed plan.
    Each few seconds the opponent, hence weapon, is different.

Their school employs head strike, groin strike, head strike as the main method.

Later it becomes more complicated.
    This Song Jiang Zhen method is different from what was known as the famous Shaolin stick method.

thanks for the information Tainan Mantis. Looking forward to that translation.

We use both
    ======x====x======
    and
    =========x======x=
    in our long fist and shaolin forms.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread