Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why continue this path ?

why continue this path ?

Some of us have studied and trained in martial arts for decades. Some of us even get black belts in multiple styles for some serious cross training. Seminars, playtime, etc.
    So my wife asks me why continue to go and train, am i afraid someone is going to beat me up or something? Can someone remind me why so i can give her a better answer ? KC, you must know, help me out.

Why don't you quit. Then you'll find out what it is you're missing fast. I say this speaking from the perspective of someone who has been forced to miss extensive amounts of training time. Then again, you'll find out how much easier your schedule is to manage, now that you're not spending much time in the MA.

LOL

Tell her "to get out of the house so I don't have to answer stupid questions like that." Actually what I tell myself and my wife, "it's so I can be this good when I'm 90!"
    Last edited by count; 03-07-2003 at 07:32 PM.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

To keep fit and stay in shape and because if you stop your skill devolve and thus you feel that you wasted a lot of time studying it in the first place.

Giver her the alternative of an overweight flabby couch-potato, rather than the energetic you.

Witty signature under construction.

you got something better to do?

seriously though, do you really need to know why you like something? Isn't it enough that you do?

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

As my best friend would say (jokingly), "Just smack her around until she stops asking stupid questions!"

What I have to wonder, is why she even questioning you training? Seriously, I want to know. I study family sociology (particularly dating and marriage), and I think I have an idea at what she's trying to do (*whipcrack*).

Just tell her, it's good for your health, good for your peace of mind, and it makes you happy. If that's not good enough for her, then maybe she does need to be smacked around.
    "Face it. People are fukked. Why would you want a career helping anyone? Go find a mountain and farm sheep for a living." - Serpent on Personal Training

"Its a cool show, but I think this young super man is a very stupid mother ****er." - yenhoi on Smallville

"They could have had the tagline "Watch Joe Millionaire. More stuff will happen," and they'd have been there." - eulerfan on TV watching Americans

"Anyway, I used to pick girls up all the time in the gym when I was in college. We'd hang out until the aerobics classes ended, and then swoop in while all their endorphins were still pumping.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel." - ghthomason on dating

"I would say that there is a greater chance of a paper dog catching and asbestos cat in hell, while in the lost city of Atlantis, Elvis and Ghengis Khan are using butterfly nets to catch the opera-singing monkeys flying out of my butt, but that implies there's still a chance." - Starboy on optimism

What I tell my wife is this...
    I train because I like getting in some big slobs face for looking at her. I train because because I like walking into dyke bars and telling them to go squirt out some kids. I train so I can be a stone cold killer.

Then she nut slaps me and laughs her self silly.

Tomorrow I finally start formal training again!
    Last edited by rogue; 03-07-2003 at 08:27 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Tell her your board when your not training.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Just say to get away from you!!!!
    Or say to see my girlfriend!!!!
    They'll probably get you into trouble but what the hell?
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

Why Not!

GHD

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ok, just to join in....

yea, I'd be like...

"HEY!! You get your bi tch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!! "

too bad you can't upload .wav files

but seriously, if you've been training for 30 years did she not know what you did before you got married?
    Last edited by Oso; 03-07-2003 at 09:13 PM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

hmmm, my wife never says anything.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Tell her you train because you enjoy it. IF that's not enough of an answer, start asking why she does the things she enjoys.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I've was with a woman once that questioned my pursuit of ma.

once.

are you keeping up with your husbandly duties? not just the sex but if she's questioning why you spend time in this endeavor then she's probably feeling like she isn't getting enough attention from you.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

15. Thumbs up

Just point out the hard facts,benefits that may result including the one of enjoyment.Let her meditate on that for a while.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-