Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dragon symbol

Question The dragon symbol

What about it?
    What does it represent?
    Are there different types of chinese dragons?
    Why are there balls in his mouth and in his hand?
    Is there a good website where I could find some good informations?

I do not fear the 10000 kicks you practiced once,
    I fear the one kick you practiced 10000 times.

Thumbs up

Dragon is one of the biggest symbols in Chinese culture.
    Dragonīs looks have changed slightly during history if I remember correctly but basically dragon is to be associated with positive things (old superstitious beliefs of dragon affecting the weather,bringing rain etc.) Dragon represents various things as I see (like strength,fertility etc.) it and is hard to break down into certain quality of positive things while certain other symbols of related culture could be simply referred to directly,-bear=man (as you can notice,Chinese understanding of dragon is rather different from Christian/western culture in which dragon is somewhat different and to be associated with evil)
    Yes,there are some different dragons in mythology as far as I know but not of major importance.
    Where dragon came,is not known for sure but it is an "important" figure.
    Dragon is also evident in astrology in which it is referred to as most selfish of all signs,majestetical and of strength.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Thumbs up

The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Hi all,

The original dragon myths likely originated in ancient Mesopotamia. The legend goes that during the early Spring, the evil water goddess Tiawat (Tiamat) would attack humans and try to flood their villages. She personally manifested in the form of a dragon. As Spring progressed, however, Tiawat's benevolent counterpart would drive her back into the rivers, and promote fertility in the land after her passing. The reason "dragons" were believed in is because at that time, they really existed.... in the form of 30 foot long crocodiles! (as some fossils have shown). When the rivers swelled, the crocs were far closer to human civilization.

In Chinese mythology, there are five dragon species: Celestial dragons (who guard the abode of the gods), dragon spirits (rule the wind and rain, and cause flooding), earth dragons (cleanse the rivers and deepen the oceans), treasure-guarding dragons, and imperial dragons (who are said to have five claws, while the others have four). The fact that dragons are often portrayed near water, or among the clouds, shows that they had a strong tie to water. The pearls in their claws and mouths further enforce this.

From this standpoint, it can be argued that the dragons representation of good luck is that they would bring about fertility, and they brought on the spring (when hopes run their highest).

just my opinion.

I wrote an article for KGQG a year or so ago talking about the Dragon symbolism in BaGuaZhang.

The Dragon was the symbol of the Qing dynasty (1644-1911) and only those in the Royal Family were allowed to wear a dragon on their robes. Most of the "royal" bragons that you see on robes, etc, were gold in color.

Chinese dragons also usually have 5 fingers as opposed to Japanese which usually have 3. The pearl that they are usually reaching for is the "Pearl of Wisdom," and that pearl is almost always surrounded by the Fire of Enlightenment.

The Chinese dragon was a symbol of Yang power and fertility. Dragons were seen as rain-bringers (important in an agricultural society) and were considered the holders of great wisdom.

Dragons were also hybrid animals...... I don't remember the exact mix of animalks with now, but it is pretty easy to look up.

Hope it helps

Bill
    May Your Blade Chip and Shatter

The Dragon for my school is the Tsou Ming's Worm. It is a Golden Dragon a bit bigger than a Clidesdale horse. It is very intellegent, and can speak similar to a parrot, only with much more undestanding. It was suposedly discovered on the Silk road by Tsou Ming, a Silk trader for the Imperial family. He captured and sold the worm the Imperial family as pets. Although generall tame and freindly, occasionally one would eat a family member.

I am currently fabricating an ancient legend that states my school learned it's Kung Fu from this Dragon. Considering the whole video course thing I have been doing the last few years, and the sparatic mulit teacher way I learned, it's probably pretty close to the truth.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Thumbs up Nice content!

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate!

I do not fear the 10000 kicks you practiced once,
    I fear the one kick you practiced 10000 times.

Originally posted by TaoBoxer
    I wrote an article for KGQG a year or so ago talking about the Dragon symbolism in BaGuaZhang.

The Dragon was the symbol of the Qing dynasty (1644-1911) and only those in the Royal Family were allowed to wear a dragon on their robes. Most of the "royal" bragons that you see on robes, etc, were gold in color.

Chinese dragons also usually have 5 fingers as opposed to Japanese which usually have 3. . . .Dragons were also hybrid animals...... I don't remember the exact mix of animalks with now, but it is pretty easy to look up.

Hope it helps

Bill
    I'm pretty sure the dragon was the symbol of the Emperor since WAY before the Qing. Regardless, there are 3 fingered Chinese dragons as well. It's IMPERIAL dragons that always have five fingers. The mix of animals goes like this:

deer horns
    eagle claws
    snake body
    lions head. . .

. ?
    I forget.

In Chinese symbolism the dragon is always contrasted with the phoenix, the yin to the dragons yang. The phoenix woyuld be the symbol of the empress. There are carvings of a dragon and phoenix together carved on most steps leading to the inner chambers of the forbidden city. The ball is called a "dragon pearl" and is somehow some kind of source of the dragons power.

Chinese dragons can all shapeshift to take human or animal form.

um. that's all I can think of.

Dragons in Chinese mythology and culture definitely pre-date the Qing.

The pearl indeed represents wisdom, which is why a dragon will always chase the pearl (seeking wisdom) as played out in dragon dances to this day.

Chinese dragons have varying numbers of fingers, with the 5 fingered indeed being the top of the heap, representing the Emporer.

There are numerous stories and legends that can make some fantastic reading. A search on google alone will keep you going for ages.

Dragons are way cool.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

This is a very interesting thread. Thanks!
    K. Mark Hoover

Chinese Dragon

This article might interest you.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Smile All About Dragon

There is a somewhat amphibian creature in remote western China (province of Szechuan?) that resemble the legendary Chinese dragon. It pretty much looks like a half fish half lizzard. It has kind of a eel like body and lizzard like limbs that are functional. Its habitat is in the streams.

Anyway, Horses are also thought to be one of the many manifestations or metamorphoses of the Chinese dragon. That's is why the head or face of a Chinese dragon is that of a horse not a dog. There are actually 3 "dragons" presented in the 12 animals in the Chinese horoscopes (ie dragon, snake, and horse). There are other 2 not too obvious animal also associated with the dragon - the sheep and the rooster. That's kind of a long story. So I will leave it for now. The order of these three represents the changing of time and the intensity of the change.

Horse or the dragon is also a symbol of the subconcious mind. We can find that example in the novel "Journey to the West". The unlikely company of five - the master monk (Buddha nature), the monkey king (creativity/greed), the swine genie (appetite for wisdom/lethary or obsession), the demon (emotional strength/wrath), and the horse (subconsiousness/untaped poweress) each represent apart of our mind.

Also this dragon and horse association is found in the I Ching espiecally in the first 2 hexagrams' text - Heaven and Earth.

That's is a lot more about dragon and the Chinese culture. It definitely is one of the best conversation piece.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

In Journey To The West, Tripitaka's horse is actually a transformed dragon, sent to carry and protect him. Monkey was a little unpredictable as a bodyguard after all!

Originally posted by Sho
    Chinese Dragon

This article might interest you.
    You're quite right! That article interested me greatly.