Thread: Taiji sword form

Question Taiji sword form

Does anyone know of a good book on taiji sword forms? There is no one in my area that teaches sword technique that will work into my work schedule.

I know a bit about the jian and it's use, but I would like to learn some forms to practice to use in my workouts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Osito

Firstly, you cannot learn any martial arts from a book especially an internal arts like taijichuan. Secondly, here is the book

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...794139-1692625

This is the most authoritative book on yang style taiji sword form. If you are a beginner, I recommend to buy other book which is bundled with this one.

You didn't specifiy which TJQ style it is for.

Check here:
    T'ai Chi

Plenty of Books and Videos available.

If you get a Book/Video to assist in your studies make sure it is as close to what you are being taught as possible.
    Preferably from the person that is teaching you, or recommended by him.

There are differences even within the same style between teachers and/or regions.

Cheers.
    Witty signature under construction.

I realize you cannot learn from a book, I am just looking for pointers until something opens up in my area that fits my schedule.

thanx for the link.

Osito

theres a good amount of tai chi form clips on the file sharing programs. Alot are from www.taiji.de , I have a few up if you want - Sword form here
    and there is another more normal tai chi freehand form on the site here

really sorry to plug.
    But i'm only trying to help.

let me know if it does.....

greg
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Hmmm

Whilst the Che Wei Ming, is a little bit of a treasure trove, its not really a good book to learn from. For contemporaru Yang Taiji I would have to suggest without out a doubt Dr Tseng Ju-pai's Tai Chi Weapons as it also contains Taiji Broadsword, Halberd, Spear and staff routines. He too studied under Yang Cheng-fu like Chen and so maybe using both books would bring about some very clear clues. Of course as has been stated they are totally for Yang style Taiji.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Osito

granted I got it fr 25$ rather than the regular 50$, Bow Sim Marks video has a long sword form. It also has individual techniques, which I wish every tape had. So it has the form, a breakdown of it, and then like twenty r so basics techniques.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Whilst the Che Wei Ming, is a little bit of a treasure trove, its not really a good book to learn from. For contemporaru Yang Taiji I would have to suggest without out a doubt Dr Tseng Ju-pai's Tai Chi Weapons as it also contains Taiji Broadsword, Halberd, Spear and staff routines. He too studied under Yang Cheng-fu like Chen and so maybe using both books would bring about some very clear clues. Of course as has been stated they are totally for Yang style Taiji.
    I wasn't aware that there is a halbert form in Yang style. For all I know I thought it's only broad sword, spear and long sword. Does this halberd form trace lineage to Yang Cheng Fu? And anyway, is there other weapons in Yang form?

Souljah

how do you open an .rar file? I tried to look at your link, but got stopped there.

Osito

Osito.

Download winRAR or similar.

Vapour.

Quiet possible that they have.
    Chen TJQ has the following:
    # Single Sword (Dan Jian)
    # Single Broadsword (Dan Dao)
    # Pear Blossom Spear - White Ape Staff (Li Hua Qiang - Bai Yuan Gun)
    # Spring and Autumn Big Broadsword (Chun Qiu Dadao/Guandao)
    # Double Sword (Shuang Jian)
    # Double Broadsword (Shuang Dao)
    # Double Hooks (Shuang Gou)
    # Double Mace (Shuang Jian)
    # 13 Long pole (Shi San Gan)
    # Two sectioned pole (Saozi Gan)

For more info about Yang TJQ check T'ai Chi magazine they are currently running a series about those styles.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 03-12-2003 at 08:48 PM.
    Witty signature under construction.

Yang style

Jian, Spear and they definitely do staff forms too. Spear and staff are pretty much the same due the the inclusion of the dagger at the end and more thrusting. Halberd is the same but due to the hooks it has some trapping elements to it too. T.T.Liang was also famous for his double sword form too. However I cannot say that this was definitively a Yang family form.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

yes osito, download winrar - if you dont know its a compressing program, but the main reason I have it is so the vieos dont stream.
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

im going to put the winrar installation file in the downloads section because alot of ppeople have been having probs with this, so check in a while on my site if you want.

Operating winrar is simple, you just decompress or 'unrar' the file in question by right clicking then 'extract to "file name here" ' and you will get a folder appear next to where the winrar folder is.....

tell me if you still have probs
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com