Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Principles and Concepts in WCK

Originally posted by yuanfen
    Responses in brackets:
    ---------------------------------
    kj sez-Are all interpretations equally valid?

((No way- relativism doesnt carry one too far in martial development. We couldnt even stand up straight if we respected everyones detailed description of their ygkym))

Age old questions, and without consensus, I know.
    Can't we all just get along and agree to do it my way?
    I was watching Sanders knock out Vladimir Klitchko. ...the fair haired boy of HBO and a cople of it's garrulous commentators(not Foreman). Sanders is a south paw- Vladimir a standard European
    right hander. A lefty's greatest power is when he shifts right- a standard right hander more so when he is going lefr- as far the main power hand of each go.Vladimir hasa powerful right- Sanders a powerful left. Vladimir at the onset kept shuffling into the power hand of the leftie. Nature at work- weighting and leverage.
    Vladimir inspite of his PE PhD(or perhaps because of it,<g> understood it less.))
    Thanks for sharing these insights. They sound right to me. Now, I've got to bring them to class and test them.

Regards,
    John Weiland
    "Et si fellitur de genu pugnat"
    (And if he falls, he fights on his knees)
    ---Motto of the Roman Legionary

"Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth
    and you will get neither." --C. S. Lewis

Originally posted by reneritchie
    Sure, just like tan, fook, bong, etc. can be feuled by that same Chung Choi. If it's intercepted, we have to change and ask again, if our opponent requires us to change our horse for positional advantage, we do so and ask again. But if they can't, we won't need to, and it goes back to minimalism again. Maybe like adding clay and then when it hardens, chipping it away again

agreed

Originally posted by reneritchie
    I personally don't see turning or stepping as something energized by pushing the pelvis forward (in fact, I think its often over exagerated and has an inverse effect). Instead, I think the harmony of the legs, waist/hips, and arms energize the turn. The pelvis, IMHO, should be forward only enough to tuck it in, straightening the spine (whether you're using the hollow chest model, or the sternum equalized method).
    ive found that by bringing the pelvis forward, if the spine is kept straight the whole upperbody goes with it. this can allow for really quick, and extremely rooted and penetrating steps. when we (as in my school) practice SLT we keep the pelvis forward - and i think this goes quite a way towards training this energy. when the pelvis reaches a forward point and if the upperbody is used in harmony with it, there is that required bone structure and the KYM is there (albeit one legged) to backup whatever wing chun hand(s) we need at that moment.

whereas in turning pushing one side of the pelvis forward and the other backwards, with the feet/legs gripping the ground provides almost a snaplike energy which can be used in conjunction with the torso muscles and tan/fook/bong. the forward part of the pelvis now also provides the immovable (hopefully) bone structure of KYM (just one legged - again) to power whichever wing chun hand(s) we use.

mabye instead of pelvis, hip would be a better word.
    Travis

structure in motion

True Wing Chun is limitless. There are linear and circular hands and footworks. The techniques must fit the situation. Just as in real life we abide by laws but there always are exceptions. The idea is not to deviate form the law just to allow amendments for special situations. In Fut Sao Wing Chun we have circular hands and footworks which fit the circular evasive movements. http://www.geocities.com/wingchunbuddhahand/index.html