10 66.67%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 24 Simplified Set

Brad:

Mei Ying Sheng
    http://www.geocities.com/meiyingsheng/

Student: Ted Knecht
    http://home.earthlink.net/%7Etwk/

Ted, at one time, lived in Columbus but is now near Cleveland. He has tapes available of Mei Ying Sheng and Mei Ying Sheng was a real disciple of Fu Zhong Wen. Ted is a very good teacher and is fluent in Chinese and knows the culture well. He is a professional translator with both experience and proper academic credentials. YOu could always visit.

You can read more about Mei Ying Sheng in the book:
    Tai Chi Training in China: Masters, Teachers, and Coaches
    Howard Thomas

See you at Arnold's?
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

As for Fu's students..

He Weiqi in New York learned from Fu Zhongwen as well as Madame Wang Jurong.

He Weiqi's neice, Jenny Tang, learned from Fu and also assisted him in his later years.

There are others such as Wu Xiaoping in Houston. She learned from her parents, Madame Wang Jurong and Dr. Wu Chengde as well as from Gu Luxin, Ma Yuehliang, Wu Yinghua, and Fu Zhongwen.

Fu's lineage is a bit harder to find in the US.

Dong's lineage is easier.

Many in China felt that Fu and was more of a successor due to learning for a longer time and assiting YCF than many others...but Dong was qlose to him as well.

Many that claim connection to Yang Zhenduo learned in seminars or a month here or there in trips to China...

So, the real thing on lineage starts with who you learned from...but doesn't end there. There is also how long did you learn, how close were you to the teacher, and did you truly understand what was taught and learn it well or did you muddle through.

bottom line - if you are happy with a teacher and are getting benefit from classes and not getting ripped off or led into a cult...then be happy.

If lineage and exact correct method is important to you, work on basics while you look for the perfect teacher. AND...when you find them, be prepared to move to them. The mountain will NOT come to Mohammed.

CMC

T.T.Liang did learn his form from Cheng in Taiwan. It was after they had been in America for a while that thet parted company. Unfortunately I feel it was Cheng's American students who remained doing Chengs stuff after his eath which caused a lot of disinformation and disruption especially with Liang. Liang like all of Cheng's Taiwanese students were taught the Yang short and Long forms. Cheng taught his 37 posture short form pretty much just to the American students and a simplified sword form.
    I don't want to upset people here but the American students of Cheng did not get as much as the Taiwanese disciples. This could be why the remaining Taiwanese disciples of Cheng who still live in America tend to dissasociate themselves from the American branch.
    As far as amount of time spent with Yang, i've read quotes of the Dong family that thought Cheng spent only 6 months with Yang, but the truth is more like that he spent about 5-7 years in total. After Yang Cheng did not go off and study with anyone else, Tai Chi-wise anyway. there is always the account that he was not looked upon too well by the Yang's because it was found out that he had studied for a while with someone else while under the tutelage of Yang, supposedly a Taoist monk. This, if irrefutable, could constitute the stigma that traditional Yang sty;list have inherited against Cheng, prehaps!!?
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Hi R.Monkey,

I always thought there was a difference between Cheng's american and his taiwanese students, but never had it verified. There have been some students who have trained under american students of Cheng that have come to my current school and they do say there are some differences between what they're taught and what my current teacher learned from Liang.

Thanks for the info.

Ohh.. just wanted to post a linke that I had found while searching for comparisons between CMC and YZD.

See the link below, pretty interesting:

http://www.sataichi.com/compare.html

Short 24

Hi all.

cha kuen, sorry I can't answer you q? as i''m only about half way through this form. But, here's a couple of hopefully useful sites for you to check out that have video, pix, txt etc that cover the 24.

Seeya

http://www.chentaichi.com/

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~maa1/chi/net...hformenter.htm

http://www.taiji.de/taiji/head8e/index.htm

http://www.gilmanstudio.com/OnLine_Class/Lesson03.htm

The difference between those who learned in Taiwan and the Americans...well that may also be the difference between the Chinese and Anglo students. There is a typical approach to teach watered down to non-chinese that may be in effect with Cheng Manching....

"As far as amount of time spent with Yang, i've read quotes of the Dong family that thought Cheng spent only 6 months with Yang, but the truth is more like that he spent about 5-7 years in total. "

This 5-7 year account is from Cheng and his group in Taiwan. The refutation came from a number of Yang chengfu's closer students including Fu Zhongwen and if memory serves, some of the dong Family. similarly the Yang family at this time do not seem to regard him as being in their lineage.

Interestingly, I HAVE seen film of Cheng doing the traditional set. It may have been what he was showing or any number of reasons (he may ahve been just appeasing the filmer so not showing his best) but it did not seem to compare with people like Fu Zhongwen, or Yang Zhenduo.

The disciple I'm referring is maestro Luis Pedreros, I don't know how much time he learnt form Fu Zhongwen but I think he is disciple of his son too and from others arts like Chen Tai Chi from Chen Xiao Wang and Chen Xiao Xing or CLF Luohan Qigong from Chen Yong Fa.

http://personals.ip.ictonline.es/%2b...os/LUISFUc.jpg

He is on the video:
    http://www.fushengyuan-taichi.com.au/video.htm

Here go's nothing...
    Im gonna open myself up to a bit of fire probarly over this one but seeing as this is an interesting discussion and some very knowledgeable people are posting im hoping someone else may know what im talking about.
    My linage has a Yang 'traditional' two man form, its a fairly long and complicated set and first contact is made when both partys meet palms with each standing in single whip face to face. From then on the form basicaly never breaks contact.

According to my sifu.
    My sifu's Tai Chi comes from his family, his grandfather was a student of Yang Chen Fu in his reasonably early days and was taught along with several others buisnesmen basicaly for a large sum of money. This may sound crass but it was expected that each would be taught proparly and as such the Tai Chi is of a high level and contains all the other hall marks of the style of that time. No short form, long form of 85, short and long sword form, short and long sabre although my sifu now only practices the short, spear or staff, push hands, Doi Da (sounds like that said in Chinese) which is the two man set.
    Again according to my sifu this set *was* taught by Yang Chen Fu but only to some students, he also claims this form was from Yang Lu Chan and not Yang Chen Fu's creation( yeah yeah i know). As a prime example my sifu claims YCF stopped teaching this set later in his life and even within the Yang family only YCF eldest son actualy practiced it. My sifu believes this was mainly due to the intervension of the govenment in many Kung Fu schools and YCF not wishing to come under to much scuritiny changed quite a bit of the outward apperence of what he was teaching. This would also be around the same time YCF's postures became much larger and he stopped performing the form with any fa-ging in public.

Ive read elsewhere that this set was a creation of one of YCF's students. The only thing i cant understand here is my sifu's grandfather learnt from YCF directly so i cant get this link.
    The other thing which supports my sifus claim is by simply looking at the set. Its complicated fairly fast contains fa-ging and can be done in multiple ways to try and offset your partner. The circles are smaller and there is is a fair amount of actual punching and striking as oppossed to just pushing and pulling.

Im just interested if anyone has any experience with this set, i only know what ive been told. Ive read some other explanations and know of some other linages who practice this set including (ive heard) Yang Shao Hao's linage.

Im not trying to imply that what ive stated here is the gospel truth, its simply what ive picked up from broken conversations with my sifu. My sifus english is far from perfect and my Chinese is non existant so there is of course also a chance ive misinterpreted some of this sets history.

Anyway, anyone else know anything about this?
    Last edited by jon; 01-31-2003 at 06:04 AM.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

GLW

How strange that one of Yang Cheng Fu's best and his first and eldest disciple Chen Wei-ming had nothing but good things to say about Cheng and knew of Cheng spending more than months but years with Yang. Yang cheng fu trusted and respected Cheng Wei ming and I feel that his accounts , admittedly not in great detail or length, seem to contradict Dong and other "CLOSE" disciples of Yang. I do respect Fu Zhong-wen and Dong Yijing and there are wiothout a singluar dount good students of Yang, but their animosity towards Cheng seems less like stating facts but more like as I say animosity towards him, which intrinsically could very well give a whole slant on their comments.
    This is natuarlly a lot of conjecture, and Cheng's martial capability were never in doubt. I cannot and do not know wht Cheng did not continue to keep Yang's form intact for all, maybe he as an individual was very much the opposite of someone from the east hoodwinking students from the west, who knows? I think more than hoodwinking, Cheng actually provided for his American students what he felt they could cope with otherwise he would of tried to eleveate them to the standard of his Tawainese disciples, maybe!!?
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

One of the things that may enter into it is Cheng's like for drink.

Such things in life can and do impact one's abilities.

For example, Yang Chengfu was known to be lively and powerful and able to raise his legs high in single stance and kick. However, due to his weight and health, his abilities toward the end of his life lessened.

Cheng's may have softened due to his choices. He may have shown earlier students one way...lost some of his abilities later...and later students another way.

I had one teacher that had hip problems. My group began learning while he did not have the trouble. Our stances looked one way. Then one hip was bothering him and he had a lean due to it. Those that learned then had the lean as well. Later the hips evened but were higher. Those students learning then had even but high stances....so it goes.

As for Chen Weiming you have to wonder why. Dong, Fu, and immediate family vs. Chen in words. Bad Blood...possible. Friendship with one and not another...possible.

Wu De - not willing to say anything but good because it does not affect you...very much in keeping with Chinese culture.

So...who knows.

What is sure is that there have been enough changes from YCF to Cheng's method that they are truly distinct and probably more like separate styles.

I DO question how a faithful student could modify a routine to shorten it after his teacher stated that to make further changes would be disastrous...but that is ME....again, this is fun for thought but in the end, if you like what you do, do it well, and get benefit...whatever works.

1. Opening of Tai Chi
    2. Grasp Sparrow's Tail: Left
    3. Grasp Sparrow's Tail: Right
    4. Single Whip
    5. Step Up and Raise Hands
    6. White Crane Spreads its Wings
    7. Brush Knee, Twist Step: Right
    8. Play the Pei Pa (guitar)
    9. Brush Knee, Twist Step: Right
    10. Brush Knee, Twist Step: Left
    11. Brush Knee, Twist Step: Right
    12. Play the Pei Pa (guitar)
    13. Brush Knee, Twist Step: Left
    14. Strike With Fist
    15. Step Up, Deflect, Parry, Punch
    16. Apparent Closure
    17. Embrace Tiger, Return to Mountain
    18. Grasp Sparrow's Tail: Right
    19. Single Whip
    20. Fist To Elbow
    21. Repulse Monkey: Right & Left
    22. Repulse Monkey: Right & Left
    23. Repulse Monkey: Right
    24. Slanting Flying
    25. Step Up and Raise Hands
    26. White Crane Spreads its Wings
    27. Brush Knee, Twist Step: Right
    28. Needle to the Bottom of the Sea
    29. Fan Through Back
    30. Turn and Strike With Fist (4 times)
    31. Step Up, Deflect, Parry & Punch
    32. Grasp Sparrow's Tail: Right
    33. Single Whip
    34. Wave Hands Through Clouds (5 times)
    35. Single Whip
    36. High Pat on Horse
    37. Right Toe Kick
    38. Left Toe Kick
    39. Turn and Right Heel Kick
    40. Brush Knee and Twist Step: Right
    41. Brush Knee and Twist Step: Left
    42. Step Across and Strike
    43. White Snake Sticks Out its' Tongue
    44. Step Up, Deflect, Parry & Punch
    45. Right Heel Kick
    46. Strike Tiger at Left
    47. Strike Tiger at Right
    48. Right Heel Kick
    49. Turn to Double Temple Punch
    50. Left Heel Kick
    51. Turn and Right Heel Kick
    52. Strike With Fist
    53. Step Up, Deflect, Parry & Punch
    54. Apparent Closure
    55. Embrace Tiger Return to Mountain
    56. Grasp Sparrow's Tail: Right
    57. Single Whip to Side
    58. Parting the Wild Horse's Mane: Right
    59. Parting the Wild Horse's Mane: Left
    60. Parting the Wild Horse's Mane: Right
    61. Grasp Sparrow's Tail: Left
    62. Grasp Sparrow's Tail: Right
    63. Single Whip
    64. Lady Works Shuttles (1)
    65. Lady Works Shuttles (2)
    66. Lady Works Shuttles (3)
    67. Lady Works Shuttles (4)
    68. Grasp Sparrow's Tail: Left
    69. Grasp Sparrow's Tail: Right
    70. Single Whip
    71. Wave Hands Through Clouds (7 times)
    72. Single Whip
    73. Snake Creeps down
    74. Golden rooster Stands on Left Leg
    75. Golden rooster Stands on Right Leg
    76. Repulse Monkey: Right & Left
    77. Repulse Monkey: Right & Left
    78. Repulse Monkey: Right
    79. Diagonal Flying
    80. Step Up and Raise Hands
    81. White Crane Spreads its Wings
    82. Brush Knee, Twist Step: Right
    83. Needle to the Bottom of the Sea
    84. Fan Through Back
    85. Turn and Strike With Fist (4 times)
    86. Step Up, Deflect, Parry & Punch
    87. Grasp Sparrow's Tail: Right
    88. Single Whip
    89. Wave Hands Through Clouds (3 times)
    90. Single Whip
    91. High Pat on Horse
    92. Cross Hands
    93. Right Heel Kick
    94. Strike Groin With Fist
    95. Brush Knee and Strike
    96. Grasp Sparrow's Tail: Right
    97. Single Whip
    98. Snake Creeps down
    99. Step Up to Seven Stars
    100. step back and Ride the Tiger
    101. Turn and Sweep Lotus with One Leg
    102. Draw Bow to Shoot Tiger
    103. Strike With Fist
    104. Step Up
    105. Deflect
    106. Parry & Punch
    107.Single Whip
    108. Closing of Tai Chi

Now, you can break this down as many ways as you like because of the repititions (hence the short form). But there you have 108.

Tai Chi is concepts, principles and theories, but don't discount the form of it. The form is very important and in it are contained these concepts and principles through application.

You could probably even ramp up the form to more than 108 if you break it down into the minutia.

Concepts are principles are completely lost to those who do not understand the form first. This is why you learn the form first.
    Then you learn the principles and theories and yin yang as you practice and move forward with this.

cheers
    Last edited by Kung Lek; 01-31-2003 at 04:54 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Sorry Kung Lek,
    I don't see the Shoulder Stroke. You have to count it as it is one of the 13 postures of Tai Chi. So I think concepts and principles are more important than forms. Definately more important than how you "count" and I ought to know.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

apology accepted count.

but, concepts and theories are only words without the practice of form. You can't implement theory, nor can you understand concepts without the framework of the form.

Neither has more importance. They are all one piece. To neglect any of it is to neglect all of it.

besides, I understood there would be no math

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Talking Hee hee hee...

Yes but principles are theories put into action. Who writes better fortune cookies here? I'm just jerking your chain. I learned all the forms but nothing helps as much as isolating the principles and drilling them over and over. Who can say how the ancients trained? I believe forms are an afterthought just like theory is an afterthought.

1. Part the mane 3 times
    2. White Crane spreads wings
    3. Brush knee twist step
    4. Play guitar
    5. Step back and repulse the monkey 4 times.
    6. Grasp the sparrows tail left
    7. Grasp the sparrows tail right
    8. Single whip
    9. Cloud Hands 3 times
    10. Single Whip
    11. High Pat on the horses head
    12. Separate legs right
    12. Double fists piercing
    13. Seperate legs left
    14. White snake creeps down
    15. Golden rooster stands on 1 leg
    16. White snake creeps down
    17. Golden rooster stands on 1 leg
    18. Weeving at the shuttles right
    19. Weeving at the shuttles left
    20. Needle at sea bottom
    21. Fan through the back
    22. Step up parry and punch
    23. Cross hands and push
    24. Apparent Closing

I guess that works as 24, unless you count sparrows tail as 4 techniques Now you can compare with Kung Lek's list and see what's missing.
    Last edited by count; 01-31-2003 at 05:37 PM.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM