Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuan Ta Form...

ffab@cyberkwoon. Guest

For ppl interested ..

We also have the "shaolin" version of Duan Da available for free, just go on CyberKwoon and click on "training" in the Articles box, find the "What do Special Members Get ?" article.
    The form is there, fully illustrated ;-)

enjoy ;-) :D :cool:

--------------------------
    CyberKwoon.com Forums
    Martial Arts Databases

beiquan Guest
    JigGa -- i like the book a lot, it has good basic info on the style. the form on the video that you guys have seen is being performed by my sifu, so i have to say that his "flavor" of Northern Shaolin is more familiar to me... my sifu is performing the form much faster than we usually do it, you definitely should practice everything slowly and carefully before trying to add this kind of rhythm in your practice.

good luck!

YoungForest Guest
    that was your sifu? wow, he's good. He's flow is really good. Where is this school located?

YoungForest Guest
    Oh and does anyone have any kind of video clips of Shi Yan Ming?
    Hopefully in a year or two I will train with him in NY.

Shaolin Master Guest

slight correction

Wah Fa Pow Cha HONG (not Siu Lum)
    and KYC Bak Siu Lum is not Hong nor Siu Lum(general) as such.
    The Shaolin Duan Da Form on cyberkwoon is VERY Different and is pretty recent invention.
    Oh by the way FFab Wuziquan(The form you put is not WUZU)...ie not Southern it is Northern.

Anyway yes Forms carry different flavours and can differ slightly from teacher to teacher and generation to generation but the essence should remain.

Regards
    Shi Chan Long

Kung Lek Guest
    Hi-

SM-yes I have heard and read that Hong (red) is considered one of the 5 major branches, but there are only two sets of this left, big red boxing and little red boxing and little else. If someone were to propogate the Hong system with anything more than these two sets they would be adding from other systems or creating sets within the school.

Hong Gia, is not the same thing before anyone brings up that point. Hong Gia is another way of saying "Hung Gar" but it is of a lineage other than the larger more well known and established Hung family lineages.

Sil Lum is one of the 5 Main branches in the here and now and this can be verified through various organizations that propogate Shaolin Kung Fu.

Big and small red boxing is still taught today at the Shaolin Temple. This is really interesting considering a good deal of the material taught at today's Shaolin temple is primarily modern wu shu.
    It is nice to know there is still some traditional and ancient boxing styles being taught.

FFAB- Your site is an excellent resource site for any martial artist beginner to advanced. Excellent work.
    The set you have placed in the area you have mentioned is the short strike in name only and indeed is not comparable to the Tun Ta of KYC NSL.

The set you have there is quite easily recognizable as "Shaolin" however. Those movements are fundaments and basic techniques.
    Surprisingly, most of those moves are found in the first exercises that my sifu teaches to the beginners after they have learned stances, moving in stances and basic punches and kicks. We practice 12 rows (not tan tui) of basic shaolin techniques. all the techniques with the exception of the one legged double palm press shown in your chart are taught left and right side along with a few other techniques.
    Sifu calls this Ta Mo's 12 basic routines. It prepares the students for understanding in the formal sets.

this has turned into an intersting topic with all the contributions.
    NorthShaolin, I have to hand it to you, you have proven to be a really decent source of info on Bak Sil Lum and Kyu Yu Cheong. You do your sifu proud :)

peace

Kung Lek

Shaolin Master Guest
    Actually Xiao Dao Hong Quan are earlier evolutions of Hong Quan.
    And well....Hong Quan (The northern one of the five )does exist. in fact in the Cha Quan system passed from Zhang Weng Guang there are 4 forms of Hong Quan incorporated that are not Cha nor Xiao/Da Hong but rather Northern Hong.

PS : In China the 5 are represented as stated earlier this may differ in HK or US. Doesn't matter not important.

True I must agree and also thank Northern Shaolin for wonderful information always regarding Northern Shaolin.

Regards

YoungForest Guest
    whoa u guys are filled with info!
    Shaolinmaster do you teach or have a school?

ffab@cyberkwoon. Guest

precision ;-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The Shaolin Duan Da Form on cyberkwoon is VERY Different and is pretty recent invention.
    Oh by the way FFab Wuziquan(The form you put is not WUZU)...ie not Southern it is Northern.[/quote]
    I agree, the Shaolin Duan Da we present in the Free version is indeed very recent and has no relationship with the KYC lineage, just wanted to point out various "difference" from a same name / origin (shaolin).

Shaolin Master, I am sorry but unless you saw (means you are a Special Member in CyberKwoon ;-) ) the Wuziquan and have better info than me (always possible ;-) ) I am sure that Wuziquan is classified in Southern China ;-) FYI we also have about 5 forms from Wuzu quan, most waiting to be published ;-)

Kung Lek, Thank you for your kind words ;-) we are just trying to make it THE resource for MA lovers, as I said before maybe our main problem is that we want to focus on MA and not in hype or very noisy topics :-D

I am confident that everyone really interested in Kungfu will join us, one day or another :-P

CyberKwoon.com

--------------------------
    CyberKwoon.com Forums
    Martial Arts Databases

Shaolin Master Guest
    Actually I am not a sp.member, I saw it years ago in ALMA and said what that's my first form of Wu Zi Quan classified as southern how could it be. It wasn't until a few years later that I sourced the book (which was good resource) that was scanned in. But definately not known as southern according to our school, I mean the Hei Hu Quan set itself and Jing Gang Quan etc.... (original styles of the 5 founders) The ones after the three fundamental routines are even more northern than anything. But it doesn't matter it is inevitably your perogative :)

Wuzuquan, well that is definately southern :).

PS : Jig Ga, there are many good places to learn from .... seek and thought shall find :)