Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I left Wah Lum

Spiralstair

Your post is interesting and informative. I agree with you on most of what you say except needing the physical training to experience Qi. Perhaps it depends on the style of Qi Gong being taught. I know people who only do standing Wuji. No taiji, no kung fu, no external training what so ever, just standing and have great results. Also, I can agree that some may "want to feel" and thus the feeling is in their minds. I, for one, feel what I feel. Not conjoured in my mind but I know there are those who are not the same way.

Regarding Master Chan. I think you get it wrong along with some others. This is not bashing or fault finding, this is talking facts. MC does not teach Qi Gong and did not allow it in the Temple when I was there. Fact. MC was not open to Qi Gong when I was there. Fact. I don't know what he believes now. MC has never talked about Qi Gong being something that will develop naturally with WL training.

There is nothing wrong with this. How come you need to defend it. It's just stating the truth.

So what's a student to do if there is an interest in Qi Gong (BTW, Qi Gong and Chi Kung are the same, just different romanizations from different dialects)? Can't investigate while at WL. Don't have any knowledge of Qi Gong being part of WL training.

Now I believe MC has trained his Qi based on the reports of some students but it's not something he'll talk about.

You like your Qi Gong, right. As you said it's awesome. Why deprive other WL Students of such an experience?

Why close the door?

Well if your teacher is giving you quality instruction, then its worth the price.

If he isn't, find another school.

The problem is that people tend to become loyal to their instructors (especially if they're Asian) even when its detrimental to their growth as martial artists.
    Yes, he is giving quality instruction, so us more senior guys got together and decided the $80/month ourselves

dialects

(BTW, Qi Gong and Chi Kung are the same, just different romanizations from different dialects)?
    Yes they are differnent romanizations but they both come from mandarin. Chi Kung is the old wade-giles system wheras qigong is pinyin - now the official romonization scheme. same as Tai chi' chauan vs taijiquan

Exclamation Oh boy,here we go again.........

I have been training with Sifu Shelly Huang (Durrell) since 1989 so I've seen and (mostly heard) alot of things and seen alot of people come and go. Being away from the Temple is a blessing and a curse. It's bad because you don't get to draw off of the energy that surrounds the Temple life and the training that goes on there. Also it's good because you don't get wrapped up in politics since you train away from the temple.

I have been to theTemple many many times through out the years and childern and responsibility has taken a toll on my training. I still go 3 times a week, but thats all I can give.

Wah Lum is definately not the end to all, I will agree to that. But you should be in it for yourself and not for others. Get out of it what you can. Physical fitness, flexibility, history, knowledge, self defense, and make new friends.

Enjoy it for whats it' worth and if you like it who cares what every body else thinks. Real or fake forms, politics or not, who' really in charge?, or who got kicked out this month. Does it really affect you? it shouldn't. Just keep putting along and enjoy your training.

Nice photo. Are you kneeling on your right knee, or is leg only collapsed just above the ground?

Robin
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Miami,

Well said friend, your Shrfu has my utmost respect, mostly due to the fact, WL is an all male world. She hangs in there. Tell NM no hard feelings just getting a rise out of folks!

zuo ji elbow

a move at the end of 8 elbows where you kneel on one knee.
    Some people just squat low.

A takedown that can break the opponents leg

A takedown that can break the opponents leg
    Can you explain this a little more? I'm not seeing it from the picture alone.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

what is the difference between qi gong and nei gong

forms & applications

The techniques in forms amaze me since I`ve met your Shrfu, Shr ZhengZhong. He is all about the fighting style of your form. The main reason, why I left previous style. Want to take it to a higher level. Not to bash WL folks, stay where you are. WL has alot to offer.

A simple kneel on one knee!

The picture is nothing special just a cool pose I saw in a movie or on a demo tape, don't remember which. Just a simple knee bend, nothing unusual.....Now that I think about it, I don't see many people posting that want to show a pic of themselves. Whats the big deal, or am I missing something???

Oh, I thought you had learned Jiang Bingdo's 8 Elbow form.
    I would guess you saw this part of the form on video then.

Shaolin,
    About the app, the one to ask is Flem. He has known it since I lived in the states in the late '80's.
    I am not too good at squating down like that.

IS squatting that low effecive? Doesnt it hinder your mobilitY?
    ***SONIC KICK***

Like I said...it's just a cool pose. Nothing more, nothing less.

Talking WHY I LEFT WAH LUM

Because they attacked my favorite "early bird" buffet!

http://www.wahlum.com/photo_gallery/...year11_02.html