Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Why I left Wah Lum

Hmm, I often wondered why the forms were changed often and without any explanation. At first, it was quite frustrating, but just had to learn to except. Now I have learned that Shifu`s add and subtract "stuff" in forms. This for many reasons. Not much time right now to get into.
    My teacher does this sometimes(esp. with Xiao Baji Quan). Sometimes it's because he learned it different ways from different teachers, so he memorized the variations. I also think he teaches some forms a bit different to each of us, depending on our previous martial arts background or different attributes.

Thanks Brad, I knew in WL that they alter forms according to your ability. I can understand this, because the forms were difficult and very stressful on the body. Most of the time these regular changes were minute. Seemed like the changes came about every two years.

More later, need rest.

" and some things will remain in the family. That will stay with me. And even as Americanized as I am, keeping that tradition to me is the most important thing."

So its the sake of keeping a secret because of tradition. But the twist, her dad didnt learn Way Lum from his father, so where is this tradition she speaks of?

K guys,..how about turning to a productive thread to post something on? this gossip page has gone on long enough.
    Way too long actually.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

"what good is a secret form if you don`t know how to use it"

Good point Sayloc, I wonder if Mimi is learning the applications to all these secret forms? For her sake, I hope so. If she is being handed down the family style, this is going to be tuff. Mimi is a very sweet young lady.

My 11 years with Wah Lum were in Tampa with Shifu Art D. and I`m very proud of that fact. Also trained with Shifu Sean Cochran. I feel very lucky to have had such high quality Shifu`s.

I visited the Temple alot, I never saw anyone doing conditioning, two-person drills, applications... there is the WL two-man form though. Wah Lum has tan tui, they do not teach the tan tui exercises. And they don`t even know them. So if any WL posters would like to learn a few of these, look me and 18-Elders up at the tournament. We can show you the single version and if time permits, the two-person. This is a great conditioning exercise, and you will enjoy!
    Last edited by BeiTangLang; 06-27-2004 at 07:48 AM.

"K guys,..how about turning to a productive thread to post something on? this gossip page has gone on long enough.
    Way too long actually"

would kung fu and Preying Mantis be better off if this thread is deleted and not discussed again?

No. maybe it'll save someone some time and money.
    Last edited by mantiskilla; 06-27-2004 at 06:52 AM.
    Just smash it.

Greetings..

One has to wonder... if WL can influence attendees and participants in an "open" tournament.. could they also influence what is discussed in an internet forum..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Bob,..I would like to think you know me better than that from prior discussions,...but this thread has been side-stepping actual mantis style & technique for a while.

Yu Shan, I didn't ask anything idiotic or rude. There have been informational parts to this thread which is why I have let it keep rolling, but its loosing momentum & is being a non-productive gossip pit discussion.

Mantis is like a fine wine; why not discuss the liquid rather than the vessel it came in?
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

I'm sorry, but all I got out of reading why some of you left Wah Lum was....

"Wah wah wah politics wah wah....... wah"

When did Kung Fu become about politics and not about learning Kung Fu? Who cares who hates what and why Sigung Chan wont teach you the "real wah lum"?

If you can't find solace in just learning Kung Fu and figuring it out for yourself (yes you're supposed to figure a good bit out for yourself, not have the teacher lead you by the hand to ever little application or detail) then maybe you shouldnt be learning martial arts at all.

Sorry if you got offended by this, but these are really dumb reasons for quitting a style. If you make it about the politics, then you'll be ****ed off about it anyway... politics are something students shouldnt care about anyway.

the end

I started this thread to dispel the rumor that the 'greats' of Wah Lum all left because they weren't learning apps. I know for a fact that they all had diffferent reasons for leaving so I opened this thread so that we could hear from them personally and not second hand.

Some spoke up, others didn't. It's done. It's over. Anyone still wanting to know I suggest you contact them personally. Why take the word of disgruntled ex-students. Better to go to the source.

BTL,
    I don't really want to delete this thread but can you lock out new posts? I think it's done. There was more than enough time to speak up if any of them felt it neccessary. Thanks for your patience.

Gladly

Thanks for asking. I too believe it is done.
    Well-Done.

Best wishes to all,
    ~BTL
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!