Thread: Does anybody do all 10 Bak Siu Lum Sets daily?

HuangKaiVun Guest

Does anybody do all 10 Bak Siu Lum Sets daily?

Does anybody do all 10 Bak Siu Lum Hand Sets daily?

I'm working my way up to it, though #10 promises to be a bear.

Every time I keep working the long sets (1239-10), I learn one and then forget it soon after. Each time, I get a little more under me.

What are YOUR experiences doing or trying to do all 10 Bak Siu Lum Hand Sets daily?

beiquan Guest
    i don't know all ten. i know six of them and they kick my a$$...

GeneChing Guest

the shaolin stairmaster

That's what we nicknamed 1-10. I did them daily for about a half a year when I was prepping for my 1st trip to Shaolin. A few of my classmates have done the daily 10 too. One of my classmates used to bang them out on her lunch break. Now I'm luck if I can do the 10 once a week. It's a great regimen, but you have to have at least a hour a day every day. Like anything, the more you put in, the more you get out.

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

NorthernShaolin Guest
    When I was younger I did all 10 BSL everyday (6,7,8,5,4,1,2,3,9,10). For varity I would mix them up like 6,1,7,2,8,3,4,10,5,9)or lower level set,upper level set,lower,upper,lower,etc. As I got older (late 30's) I divided it up five and five every other day. I made sure I did at least a good mix like 6,7,5,2,9 then the next day 8,4,1,3,10. Now that I'm much older, it is harder to practice everyday so I'm down to 3X/week. But I make sure that I practice each set at least once in the cycle. :) :cool:

GeneChing Guest

1 thru 10

Intersting ordering. I mostly try to do them in ascending order 1 to 10. That always feels the best to me. Sometimes we try reversing the order or doing variations for fun. One of my classmates even got a 12-sided die once, so we could roll for it (and 11 or 12 would be roller's choice or something like that.) I still keep in in my locker, but I haven't rolled that bone in ages...

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

SaekSan Guest

the 10 sets...

I used to practice them daily, but with more sets (weapons, 2 person and "special" ones), Chi Gung, Iron training and keeping up with Ji Ben Gung (daily basics practice) I started doing a cycle method similar to what NorthernShaolin described.

I make sure to go through the 10 handsets every week though.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    I'm not doing all 10 Hand Sets yet, but I'm doing more than 10 sets daily (lots of practice time, for now).

My physique has improved a lot from doing the repetitions, as has the physical/mental stamina.

Kung Lek Guest
    well, I haven't learned all ten yet, but i understand that after you have learned all of them that they are practiced in order 1 through 10. Even though they are learned in a different sequence (as nsl pointed out, 6,7,8,4,5,1,2,3,9,10) with minor variations depending upon a sifus preference. I also understand that they were originally taught in the sequential order 1-10 but Kyu Yu Cheong changed the order at some point.

What I practice everyday is primarily the southern style I have been taught (Hak Fu Pai) and I will generally go through all the handforms (there are 4 but 2 of them are exceptionally long and the shortest has 50 motions)
    After that I will (If I'm feeling pretty good) throw in the Northern forms Tun Ta and Moi Fah.

Other days I will work strictly weapons, and usually I will pick apart a set, extrapolate pieces and work those pieces to try and understand different applications.

peace

Kung Lek