Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No shadow kick

No shadow kick

I have a question I have seen many Donnie Yen/Jet Li movies, and I know that this technique looks a little funny on screen but I was told that Wong Fei Hung made it famous. Can anyone please tell me what this technique looks like (roundhouse, frontkick, etc.)

A kick that doesn't leave any trace in terms of perception until it hits the target.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

From what my sifu has told me, Wong Fei Hung would do criss-crossing swipes at the eyes which would conceal his speedy kick coming from underneath. Nothing other than a visual trick combined with great skill and speed. The times I have seen my sifu re-enact what it allegedly looked like... it seemed to be a nutshot.
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

Re: No shadow kick

Hi Lews,

Originally posted by Lews
    I have a question I have seen many Donnie Yen/Jet Li movies, and I know that this technique looks a little funny on screen but I was told that Wong Fei Hung made it famous. Can anyone please tell me what this technique looks like (roundhouse, frontkick, etc.)
    If you seen all those movies and thought the technique looked a little funny on screen, then I would have expected you knew which kick it was. LOL.

I have not learned any shadowless kick. I don't know if it actually existed as a specific kick. I doubt it. I think Sho was close in saying it is a non-telgraphing kick. Our instructor jokes about it occasionally and it usually in context of a kick you don't see. It is fast and unseen, hence it doesn't leave a shadow. If you are kicked while you are distracted, you never see the kick and wonder what hit you. This is a common trait in wing chun. It is just an application.

Now, some one will probably step in to prove me wrong and identify a specific kick. LOL.

Just my opinion at the moment
    Tom
    ________
    LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO
    Last edited by tparkerkfo; 04-04-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Losttrak....

Losttrak....

Gin Foon Mark is famous for his "Iron Fan Fingers" to the eyes.

This would be more then enough for you to forget his kicks.....until you felt them!

Re: Re: No shadow kick

Originally posted by tparkerkfo
    Hi Lews,

If you seen all those movies and thought the technique looked a little funny on screen, then I would have expected you knew which kick it was. LOL.

I have not learned any shadowless kick. I don't know if it actually existed as a specific kick. I doubt it. I think Sho was close in saying it is a non-telgraphing kick. Our instructor jokes about it occasionally and it usually in context of a kick you don't see. It is fast and unseen, hence it doesn't leave a shadow. If you are kicked while you are distracted, you never see the kick and wonder what hit you. This is a common trait in wing chun. It is just an application.

Now, some one will probably step in to prove me wrong and identify a specific kick. LOL.

Just my opinion at the moment
    Tom
    This too is my understanding of the no-shadow kick.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I have been told that the no shadow kick is something completely different. There are 3 types of no shadow kick: high, mid, lower. It is when you have the guy's hands trapped or in a chin na ...in a way that the guy's head is turned.

Then you can kick (at any speed you want) and the guy cannot see it. I kind of know one of them but was never specifically taught yet.

It's magic.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Cha Kuen is close. It's basically a kick with high hand techniques which obscure/distract from the kick and also create a bridge for it.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

mo ying gerk

it is said that WFH acquired this technique from another master, and that he traded the "iron wire" form for it.
    considering the "iron wire" form is at the very least ONE of the highest, if not "the" highest form in hung gar kuen, i SERIOUSLY doubt that WFH is going to trade knowledge in it for a "trick kick".
    would you trade your highest form knowledge to someone to learn how to distract them with your hands whilst throwing a lower kick? in my opinion, this is absurd. the no-shadow kick is based on speed, not misdirection.

Ben Gash is close.

It's the way I said it was which is more complex than flurrying your hands at someone's face at a high speed.

"The hands hide the feet" Try that concept out in sparring long enough and you will start to find some cool things
    -Golden Arms-

Talking

no shadow kick= turning off the lights and kicking somebody

On a serious note. There are three kicking methods in hung gar and what most people describe as the no shadow kick is actually a gwai gerk (ghost kick). Since these are actual methods, it is not just a simple kick or one technique. It has to do with execution and an underlying theory.

Mok Gwai Lan (WFH's 4th wife) was quoted saying that the mo ying gerk is, "the most murderous technique" she knows and that she would never use it.

GreyMystik

Forms are soooooooooo over-rated when it comes to fighting.

Just what does "the highest-level form" mean to you?

As a way of ranking actual fighting skill?

Does a man who knows half as many forms as another automatically have half the fighting skill?

People are in SUCH a rush to "know" as many form as possible that they "can't see the trees because of the forest!"

I dont see how GreyMystiks answer stressed anything about forms aside from the importance that Hung Kuen places on Tit Sin Kuen itself. I dont see how that mentions anything about forms accumulation. Just think about what was said. Why would somebody trade basically the entire system at the time for just one technique? It would have to be something more.

The reason why Tit Sin Kuen is placed in a high regard is because it exhibits all the principles of the system.