Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No shadow kick

Wong Fei Hong had 4 wives? ****, what a pimp! He sounds like a kung fu version of ROSS on friends! hAHAHhA

Good post Illusionfist. If you want any more of an answer than what Illusion posted, go train and all will be made clear over time.
    -Golden Arms-

so buddy punches right leg forward wieghted and throws a right straight punch. with your left foot quikly stp to the left to evade the punch and then quickly step into your opponent ending up in a right twist stance (weight on right leg) and with your right hand grab the outside of his right wrist and your left hand traps the outside of his right elbow...pull his arm down theoretically setting him off balance, and then pivot on your right foot and swing a left side kick to the outside of his right knee breaking his root theoretically...follow up after.
    Is this a shadowless kicking tactic...pull his arm down and slip in a kick?. I'm asking because hop gar which i got this tech from is supposed to have hungga influences!?.

Anyone know?.

Hmm..could be or could not be....often different arts have similar concepts under different names...a lot of the no shadow stuff seems to be like throwing something in somones face as you hit them with a lower kick that they never see.
    -Golden Arms-

Thanks golden arms, would grabbing the inside of his right arm with your left and slamming a overhead fist into his face with your right simultaneously pivoting on your left and slipping a right stomp kick to his front right knee fit as a shadow technique?.

There's a southern style kicking video that supposedly teaches the "no shadow" kick. I haven't viewed the video but it claims to teach "authentic Southern style kicking techniques and their practical applications, seldom seen or taught even in reputable Southern style schools. Learn how to perform kicks like the no shadow kick, roundhouse nail kick, tiger tail kick, instep shovel kick and much, much more. All learn safe warm up procedures."

http://www.wccma.com/videos.htm

No Shadow Kick revisited

Finally getting through the WFH special issue of Kung Fu Tai Chi and I noticed an article by Johnny Jang where he describes Hung Gar's Mo Ying Gerk (No Shadow Kick)

He shows it as a kick using the rear leg BEHIND the lead leg. (A picture would be so much easier to describe. Guess you have to look at the Mag) This movement is NOT in any of the Ling Nam forms but it is a common lion dance movement.

It's "no shadow" because the kick comes from under and behind.

I have my thoughts about this topic but I wanted to see what the southern community thought of it.

I am a CLF player but I also read the article and was very suprised to see that was the Mo Ying Gerk. It wasn't what I expected it might look like and from the sound of your post I guess it is not like you may play it.

It didn't seem to be all that practical for such a famous kick.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I can't keep track of this. i had first learned it as a concept-that of being deceptive in your kicking. You can use fakes, play with distance,and set ups. Then someone else says it is "screening" with the hands while throwing the kick, as in single leg flying crane. Then someone else says that deceptive kicks are called "Ghost kicking". Someone else says a low snap kick to the groin is the no-shadow kick. Someone else says that is Moon Shadow Kick, Now this article comes and his definition seems way out in left field.
    At this point, I am comming to the conclusion that nobody actually knows. Of course, this is the time for someone to say,"Well, we know, and it has been passed down in our family's lineage,yadda-yadda,,," but won't tell.
    So, let's hear everyone's version, and put our heads together and try to figure this one out.
    I suppose we can start by ruling out Jet Li's WFH version.

We have something in CLF we call "ying sow tek gerk". I guess it could translate as shadow hands kick and might be the same as the "ghost kicking" you were refering to. With us the hand shoots out high with a dan lah for example to distract while the kick comes in low or to the mid section.

mo ying gerk doesn't come from teh rear leg, isn't swung from a hidden post etc etc.

people can say and believe what they like I guess. the decription of no shadow as given by lsw is pretty clear. It doesn't match the one given in the article.

that is all
    Kung Fu is good for you.

that is all? That is what? You didn't say anything. Please describe Lam Sai-Wing's description, so we can have this discussion. Simply throwing that out there says nothing.

I've always delivered the (TM)"No Shadows" kick with the trail leg. I was taught it as a stepping move of a series of low snap kicks delivered with the trail leg while stepping.

Tony, I'm not getting what you sadi. Could you describe this more in detail? I'm not sure what you mean by the trail leg.

TT,

Because its all lies!! I thought no shadow was a kick that is so fast it holds no shadow or you doing something with your hands and the kick has been landed before you could see it?

LMAO does Hung Gar have contest in the WFH tourney who can do the best NO SHADOW KICKS?

Garry