Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: No shadow kick

Wah Lum's Elbow To Toe exercise is, for those that can do it, actually supposed to be Chin To Toe. Similar to the stretching seen in the clip you linked but done in the standing position.

Although our high kicks are with the toe I've always been flexible enough to reach the chin with my heel.

Edit: WL seems to change things when they're too difficult for most students so I would suspect it was probably in our forms but changed to Toe Kick when noody could do it correctly. Just like Elbow To Toe changed from Chin To Toe.
    Last edited by Yao Sing; 02-23-2012 at 07:44 PM.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    The reason it is so special is that you can stand so close to someone and do a heel kick straight up to their chin like a super powerful uppercut, only this uppercut has the power of your leg, not your arm.
    This is not really style specific, does anyone have this kick in their school by this name or another name?
    Brendan Lai taught this kick as the ultimate ideal of the chang tui front heel kick.

Same explanation as from your teacher.
    Last edited by -N-; 02-23-2012 at 08:03 PM.

check out this article:

The Shadowless Kick of Hung Ga Wong Keiying

http://naamkyun.com/2012/01/the-shad...-wong-keiying/

it is a translation of an old Chinese article on the subject - short, informative, reliable
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Wah Lum's Elbow To Toe exercise is, for those that can do it, actually supposed to be Chin To Toe. Similar to the stretching seen in the clip you linked but done in the standing position.

Although our high kicks are with the toe I've always been flexible enough to reach the chin with my heel.

Edit: WL seems to change things when they're too difficult for most students so I would suspect it was probably in our forms but changed to Toe Kick when noody could do it correctly. Just like Elbow To Toe changed from Chin To Toe.
    Chin to Toe is -Dragon eats ashes- in shaolin qigong set.
    It is advanced posterior chain stretch and stretches ligament to accommodate pulling the toes back with heel kick. Also lengthens and strengthens the muscles of the legs, hips and butt. Which are your root.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 5thBrother View Post
    Hi PM,.. anyone else,

Can you name the teachers in the banner image
    3rd from left. Buk Sing Choi Lee Fut sifu: Lai Chou.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Chin to Toe is -Dragon eats ashes- in shaolin qigong set.
    It is advanced posterior chain stretch and stretches ligament to accommodate pulling the toes back with heel kick. Also lengthens and strengthens the muscles of the legs, hips and butt. Which are your root.
    It's actually called Kiss The Toe but I prefer Chin To To Toe.

There's also a Wah Lum exercise that fits the description others posted about the No Shadow Kick. We do a kicking drill that's a heel kick with palm strike (palm forward hand horizontal). The palm could cover the eyes so they don't see the kick.

I actually did that in class during some light sparring. I got frustrated because I couldn't hit my opponent so I put my hand in front of his eyes and hit him. He said that was the weirdest thing to do and was ****ed because he couldn't see what was coming.

Edit: The picture in the article linked to by PM is similar to the Wah Lum kicking drill.
    Last edited by Yao Sing; 02-24-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    3rd from left. Buk Sing Choi Lee Fut sifu: Lai Chou.
    yes sir :-)
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Shadowless or invisible methods apply not just to kicks, but to all kinds of attacks as well as footwork and positioning.

Praying Mantis forms show this a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lews View Post
    I have a question I have seen many Donnie Yen/Jet Li movies, and I know that this technique looks a little funny on screen but I was told that Wong Fei Hung made it famous. Can anyone please tell me what this technique looks like (roundhouse, frontkick, etc.)
    its simply kicking without moving your shoulders, its called no shadow because, they dont see it coming...you practice it by putting two oragne slices or two bowls on your shoulders and start with throwing a front kick and then side kick and then round house, using your waste and supporting ankle as your main source of power generation...it is not a high kick but a mid level one.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    its simply kicking without moving your shoulders, its called no shadow because, they dont see it coming...you practice it by putting two oragne slices or two bowls on your shoulders and start with throwing a front kick and then side kick and then round house, using your waste and supporting ankle as your main source of power generation...it is not a high kick but a mid level one.
    Yep, non-telegraph plus short-range kicks. Quite often, they are executed with a diversion or blocking the vision of the opponents. That makes the kick hard to defense against. Originally, it is a northern kick technique which Wong Fei Hung has acquired through sharing.

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Yep, non-telegraph plus short-range kicks. Quite often, they are executed with a diversion or blocking the vision of the opponents. That makes the kick hard to defense against. Originally, it is a northern kick technique which Wong Fei Hung has acquired through sharing.

KC
    Hong Kong
    Ah, that makes sense. Brendan Lai said that our heel kick version came from Shaolin.

And in general, your description is basically the idea behind all our shadowless techniques.