Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sun Toi Kwoon Altar

Here is a simple paper that I put together for my students to explain how we view the shen tai/sun toi in our school:

神 檯
    shén tái/san toi
    Spirit Table

Placement of the Altar

The altar should be placed in such a way that it can be easily seen when entering the training hall and preferably in the Northwest (heaven) or Northeast (wisdom and spirituality)corner of the room. Students should bow toward the altar when entering the training area.

The Altar Proper
    Altars vary greatly from school to school and can be a small temple like structure or a simple table reserved only for use as an altar. The altar serves as a memorial to the art and those who have transmitted the art from the founder to the present day.

Items Associated with the Altar

The Couplets
    Framing the altar from above and both sides are three signboards. The top signboard is hung horizontally and bears the name of the school or style. Often this is written with four Chinese characters. On each side of the altar a signboard or scroll is hung vertically that bears the keyword principles of the style, motto of the style, or a poem. Each vertical signboard should have an equal number of Chinese characters.

Mirror
    A large red ribbon with an attached mirror is often draped across the top front of the altar to scare away evil spirits. Alternately, a mirror can be hung inside the shrine itself.

General Guan Yu
    Within the altar is a statue of the famous general, Guan Yu, who served during the Eastern Han dynasty. He is revered as the patron saint or diety of Chinese martial arts.

Genealogical Momentos
    Some schools place a genealogy chart of their martial lineage within the altar. Others place photos of dead masters of their lineage. A famous saying of a past master is also not uncommon within the altar.

Three Incense Sticks placed in a Bowl of Rice
    Three Joss (incense sticks) are lit and placed vertically in a bowl of rice as a tribute to either Guan Yu or a martial ancestor. If more than one ancestor is honored, each ancestor should be assigned three joss sticks which are placed in the bowl of rice. The number three symbolizes the ideas of heaven, earth and man.

Candles
    Real candles or electric candles with red bulbs are used to awaken the deities enshrined within the altar.

Offerings
    Schools that honor their ancestors through ancestor worship will place offerings of food and drink in or near the altar on a daily basis.

Peac o c k Feathers
    Peac o c k feathers invite good luck, but when attached to the shen tai serve as a sign that the school is open to fighting challenges from outsiders.

At the beginning of each class we bow toward the altar and recite our oaths.

Here is a picture of our shen tai: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 12-22-2011 at 02:35 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

combining a Diety Altar with a Ancestor Altar is a very recent development. Probably due to the limitations of space. Classically their are no less then 5 shrines/altars within a space (house, studio, etc)

One major rule that I see being violated is having the Diety Statue/image either below or on the same level with those of Ancestors. A big no no.

along the same lines as having Jesus next to Uncle Bob.

Another thing is the burning of incense excessively especialy during training, which actually can be pretty toxic if breathed in within such a confined space.

A little bit of knowledge can be dangerous and embarassing so Strongly recommend either confirming with your teacher or seeking outside information from religous organizations that can instruct you in the proper ceremonies, placement, etc.

There is a big difference from following a custom to practicing a religion.

According to Feng Sui principles, altars should be placed in the Northwest (symbol of heaven) or Northeast (symbol of wisdom and spirituality) corner of the main room.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

not always especially when pertaining to certain dieties.

example.

kwan Gung/Kwan Yu is required to have their back to the east as he died facing the east.

and as regards to Fenshui its very difficult and complex with some aspects requiring readjustment on a seasonal and sometimes daily basis.

[QUOTE=ngokfei;1150055]not always especially when pertaining to certain dieties.

example.

kwan Gung/Kwan Yu is required to have their back to the east as he died facing the east.

Are we talking about these dieities?

If so why them and what they represent in the altar, purpose or belief?

Thanks,

I forgot about this thread

We ran a series on Feng Shui and altar placement in 2000: Feng Shui for Kungfu Schools By Wilson Sun. It was a four part series that only appears in print so if you want to read it, pick up the back issues.

Part 1: 2000 March
    Part 2: 2000 April
    Part 3: 2000 May
    Part 4: 2000 June
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

a new site in development on the "Kung Fu Altar"

www.kungfualtar.20m.com

Does any of this make your hands any better?

-jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post

-jo
    Practicing in this type of environment with the proper deities empowering you is the only way to develop the chi blast skill! It worked for me!
    Richard A. Tolson

-jo
    Ha!

No...no it doesn't. It's a cultural trapping and doesn't really do anything for your training or prowess.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Not unless your a religous devotee and practice the rituals etc. will it have a psychological effect on ones views and performance

at www.kungfualtar.20m.com
    we want individuals to be knowledgeable on the cultural symbolism and protocol.

I've seen so many good intentions masked with just plain ignorance and it ends up being passed on.

So if individuals are going to have a Sun Toi in their school gym, etc. then they need to be knowledgeable about it.

Okay here is an example.

Placement of Images/Statues.

top to Bottom (Heaven - Man - Earth)
    1. Diety - ex: Guan Gong
    2. Kung Fu Ancestors (Founder 1st)
    3. Dei Ju - Ground Shrine

right to left.

1. Diety
    2. Ancestors
    Dei Ju is still below on the ground.

If on a shelf the Diety should be raised up above the Ancestors.

Ancestors photos/tablets should go from Right to Left starting with the Elder Ancestor.

this is just one of the major things I see done improperly.

This is not to mention Altar Placement in a School or House.

Rule one is Guan gong should be facing the entrance and not the toilet or bedroom.

Rule 2: Altars have specific height requirements but mainly the platform should be above all tables etc.

For more specifics check back often to see the sites development. It will take some time to load the info so Patience. Any comments or suggestions please feel free to e-mail me.

Never mind about your hands

An ancestral altar is about respect. It's a way to show some respect for those that carried the tradition before you, those that have passed down the legacy for generations, and placed them into your hands.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    Not unless your a religous devotee and practice the rituals etc. will it have a psychological effect on ones views and performance

at www.kungfualtar.20m.com
    we want individuals to be knowledgeable on the cultural symbolism and protocol.

I've seen so many good intentions masked with just plain ignorance and it ends up being passed on.

So if individuals are going to have a Sun Toi in their school gym, etc. then they need to be knowledgeable about it.
    Eric,
    I appreciate your work on this. Thank you!
    Richard A. Tolson

added a new section to Guan Gong

His martial Arts

Guan Yu's Martial Arts
    Last edited by ngokfei; 01-18-2013 at 09:56 AM.