Thread: New Shaolin DVD documentary

New Shaolin DVD documentary

Myths and Logic of Shaolin Kung Fu - it's a clunky title, but an interesting documentary. This is part of the Discover China series - a new line of intriguing documentaries available on DVD. The first thing I should say is that the production quality of all of these if very high. Everything is shot very professionally. It looks like it's all direct to digital, giving that crispness of image, but also the strobescopic shudder in slow motion. I've seen all our new DVD's an found them each entertaining.

Now specific to this Shaolin documentary. This is a good one - one of the best ones so far. It gives a solid overview of today's Shaolin Temple, one that a total beginner or even non-martial artist will understand. If you've seen most of the Shaolin documentaries already, there's nothing that new, but if you're a serious researcher, you'll certainly find it interesting becuase of what they show. There are interviews with Shi Deyang, Shi Hengjun and Liang Yiquan, as well as students of Taguo, but Shi Yongxin is conspicuously absent. The demonstrations range from modern wushu and sanda to traditional shaolin, but where this DVD really shines is the photography. It captures the majesty of Shaolin Kung Fu against the stunning background of Songshan better than any documentary so far. All in all, it will sit well in the library of Shaolin documentaries, especially intriguing since it's the first professional DVD.

OK, end sales pitch Let me know what you guys think after you see it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

yo bro!

wassup brother? i hope you are doing well!
    i can't believe you......once again i spend money to fund my shaolin media addiction! you know it is your fault right?! that dumb add in the WLE catalog for a trip to shaolin(1996), back when i was just a young, dirty south kid from NC
    .....hahahahaha! now look at me...........addicted..........how does it feel to have my addiction on your hands?

take care bro!
    your little shaolin brother,
    kungfud0rk

direct to digital is actually not the highest quality. Film (analog) catches color alot better. Also, Gene r anyne ever seen the movie "kung Fu Diplomacy"? They have it at silky way in Bos, but I've only seen one or two things about it online
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

**** & erh

kfd - Hey bro, I hooked you good, eh? And yer still a young, dirty south kid from NC. Believe me, you can't 12-step off of Shaolin...

j_e - I agree that film is better (especially in slo mo), but digital is chaeper and has been a boon for documentary making, since more obscure subjects can now be documented inexpensively. It's much better quality the videotape, which has been the bulk of martial arts productions.

I haven't seen Kungfu Dipolmacy yet. Why do you bring that up?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

oh yeah, digital is great for non structured (live) situations.

I brought "KF Diplomacy"up just on the subject of Shaolin documentaries. I have one other thing from the Living Legends series that's weird but good (dragon gate chi kung).
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

digital diplomacy

Many digital projects wouldn't even get made if we were stuck with film. Now I work almost exclusively in digital. In previous China trips, I took film and it cost me upwards to $100+ just to develop it all. This time I'm taking digital. I'm debating if I should even deal with conventional film.

Was KF diplomacy the one with Wally Jay? If so, that doc was fantastic.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips