Thread: Wing Chun in Boston

Wing Chun in Boston

Hello folks,

Does anyone know of any Wing Chun schools in Boston? A student of mine is moving there to attend Harvard Medical School and he would like to keep up his training.

Patrick Gordon.

One of the very few places to learn Gulao WCK in North America! (And I'm sure there are others there as well ). Jim Roselando is in Bean-town and likely has the skinny.

there is a WingTsun school in boston that is a branch of a austin school

web site : http://www.austinwt.com/

select the boston link

Moy Ving Wah, a student of Yip Man, lives in Alston right near Boston University.

He doesn't run an open school and has only a mere handful of students.

Since I don't know you or your student, I couldn't begin to guess whether he'd want to talk to you. But, if you are interested, contact me via email. You never know.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Hello all,

Boston is not the Hub for WC but there are a few around!

There are two members of the Fung family from Koo Lo living here but do not teach non family.

Mui Wai Hun (my sifu) works with a few at a local YMCA.

Some of Sifu's pupils work with some people out of their homes.

There is a Wing Tsun study group in Boston.

There is some Moy Yat people here that learned from a student of Lee Moy Shan working with people.

There is are two different students of two of Yip Ching's people here.

Another person who trained the Moy Yat WC (thru the Lee Shan group) also has been training Leung Sheung's WC for a while now is very close to Boston.

I believe Duncan Leung's son was here but I never made contact with him so???

Tom Kagan mentioned a student of Yip Man living in Alston? This could be my sifu's cousin! My Sifu also lives in Alston! My sifu mentioned to me on a few occassions that his cousin was a pupil of Yip Man and maybe this Mui Ving Wah is the guy. I will call him to find out?

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need more contact info.!

Regards,
    Jim

Stanley Jue teaches Pien san (calls it turning style) wing chun in Central Square, Cambridge. Take a look in the yellow pages for the contact info.

Hello,

Turning style is what my sifu called his public teaching of the Pin Sun WC art during the late 70's.

Stanley Jue's school in Central Sq. burned down a while ago and was teaching in Medford for a while but if he is back in Central Sq. I am not sure.

Jerome Majeed teaches Turning style out of his home in Waltham but does not accept new people I believe.

Julio Veliz teaches Turning style out of his home in Somerville but is only working with a couple of people.

Alex Lavoud teaches in Everette but is mainly a Arnis guys now.

Steven Warshaw was the first non Chinese accepted to learn under Sifu and is now living way up in N.H.. He is no longer active but I still maintain contact with him as he has some nice stories about the old schools.

These are the people still teaching Sifu's Turning style in the Boston area. There are other private pupils of Sifu that work with some people teaching the Pin Sun WC.

If this is what you are interested in then you should check out as many as you can and make a decision on which you want to persue.

Regards,
    Jim

Thats really too bad about Stanleys place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roselando View Post
    Hello all,

Boston is not the Hub for WC but there are a few around!

There are two members of the Fung family from Koo Lo living here but do not teach non family.

Mui Wai Hun (my sifu) works with a few at a local YMCA.

Some of Sifu's pupils work with some people out of their homes.

There is a Wing Tsun study group in Boston.

There is some Moy Yat people here that learned from a student of Lee Moy Shan working with people.

Another person who trained the Moy Yat WC (thru the Lee Shan group) also has been training Leung Sheung's WC for a while now is very close to Boston.

I believe Duncan Leung's son was here but I never made contact with him so???

Tom Kagan mentioned a student of Yip Man living in Alston? This could be my sifu's cousin! My Sifu also lives in Alston! My sifu mentioned to me on a few occassions that his cousin was a pupil of Yip Man and maybe this Mui Ving Wah is the guy. I will call him to find out?

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need more contact info.!

Regards,
    Who trains close to Boston ?

Sifu Stanley Jue currently holds his classes at Boston Ultimate Fitness on Harrison Ave, in Boston's Chinatown. He holds his classes on Mondays, Wednesday, and Thursday beginning at 6:30 pm.

Here's his website http://www.wckfa.com/

Very down-to-earth guy, dedicated teacher for many years. Feel free to give him a call for more info.

Wing Chun in Boston Area

As mentioned above, Stanley's 'Turning Style' Wing Chun classes are definitely worth checking out. He's a really nice guy and has been teaching WC a long time. I used to cross train with him before his school in Cambridge burned down about ten years ago. Glad he is doing well in Chinatown.

Jim R who posted above also teaches locally, although I *think* its a private group (correct me if I'm wrong I may not be up to date on this stuff), but he'd be a great guy to train with too, check out his website for more info on Kulo Pin Sun style Wing Chun: http://www.apricotforesthall.com/

As for the other 'Turning Style' Wing Chun guys mentioned above, I believe Alex is still teaching WC on Monday nights northeast of Boston, I could hook you up with a contact if you were out that direction and interested. There's also a guy Frank who is teaching a couple nights a week in Winthrop. Haven't heard anything about Julio teaching in a while not sure if he still does... And Jarome is an amazing guy, I used to train with him and I believe he's still doing some private training out of his home in Waltham. Definitely worth training with him if you got a chance, although not sure if he's taking new students.

As an alternative feel free to check out our Kulo/Pin Sun Wing Chun classes at Redline Fight Sports gym in Central Square, Cambridge. Classes are Mondays at 8:30pm, Wednesdays at 8:30pm and Sundays at 12:15pm. A bit different vibe as its a full MMA gym, so there are tons of cross-training options (open 7 days a week over 60 classes per week), including Chinese SanDa. Sifu Mui Wai Hun oversees the Wing Chun program and he's available for private training sessions beyond the regular classes. For more info on Redline visit: http://www.redlinefightsports.com/

I have no idea about the other styles of WC around Boston??? Best wishes with your search!
    Chris

Semi Private Training w/ Sifu Mui Available

Hey guys, thought I'd pass this along for anyone who is interested. Wai-Hun Mui Sifu, aka Sifu Henry Mui, will be teaching some semi-private small group classes (will be just a few ppl in the classes) here at Redline gym in Cambridge on Sundays, starting tomorrow.

These will be four week sessions, so four Sundays in a row starting at 2:30pm (after the regular Wing Chun class). He doesnt want anyone to miss more than one of the four weeks and then only if necessary. Price is super reasonable, $80 for the four weeks for Redline members or $120 for the four sessions for non gym members. Material will be taught based on the experience level of the students, but will cover some Pin Sun two man sets, chi-sao sparring and eventually some long pole staff.

This is a rare opportunity to learn directly from a genuine master sifu who learned this directly from the Fung family of Kulo village in China.

If anyone local who does turning style or Futshan style is interested in learning this, feel free to PM me or track me down at the gym.

I'd be interested after my hands out of the splint. Is it ongoing?

Jack

<<There is some Moy Yat people here that learned from a student of Lee Moy Shan working with people.

Another person who trained the Moy Yat WC (thru the Lee Shan group) also has been training Leung Sheung's WC for a while now is very close to Boston. >>

Any information on these people? time training/teaching

Hi Jack, yes the idea was to have them ongoing, and we're planning to do more four-week sessions in the future after this first one. Will probably be a break between sessions, not sure for how long or exactly how frequent the blocks of sessions will be, I'll ask Sifu Mui.

You're welcome to join us in the next session after your hand heals up!
    Chris