Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Alternate States"

Smile "Alternate States"

The term 'aternate states' gets thrown around sometimes when we're talking about qiqong and meditation, and I just wanted to say that I think the term is both inadequate and misleading, and shows a misunderstanding of what qiqong is about.

This psychological area/subject within qiqong is controversial, so i do enjoy taking it on, sure. But lets just get it straight:

'Alternate states' refers [to me] as a temporary thing, and wholly mental/spiritual, a kind of Union with the infinite, esp. within meditation, and its available to anyone of any religious tradition, so there shouldn't be any problems with it. Its transcendental and appropriate to mionks and such. Sometimes ppl blow that up into regions it doesn't belong in, IMO.

What I get from/go after in qiqong is more something that I'd term 'heightened awareness' and transformation- going from one state- bodily- to another on a permanent basis, if i can achieve that. Iron palm is only one example of that, as is health and poise, combat effectiveness.

Anyhow, just a private complaint.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

'K. Thanks.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

In my humble opinion

I agree with you

perhaps though, it may be possible that our everyday state is in fact, an alternate state

My use of meditation is more for breathing exercise and relaxation of my mind than anyting else. So, I don't know much about this topic.

Obviously, there must be more technical aspect to meditation than correct posture and breathing and imagining circulating qi around your body. My instructor did warn me about strange feeling while meditating but I never got to that stage.

Anyway, can anyone explain me technical side of meditation regarding mind. Be aware and relax is a nice advice but bit too simple for me.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

Smile

serpent- I knew this was going to be taken as a bit off... but if you've been looking at some of the threads like 'ninjutsu and christianity' or 'can qiqong make u crazy' you know what i'm saying here. Its a side topic and it didn't really fit in those threads. Anyway, we keep getting into those conversations and so maybe we need to point this difference out.

prana- thats the buddhist take. I'm just highlighting that spirituality is related to, but not the whole of, qiqong. You're seeing that, so thanks!

vapour-
    My use of meditation is more for breathing exercise and relaxation of my mind than anyting else. So, I don't know much about this topic.
    Thats a valid use for meditation. What I'm referring to is the use of meditation for [typically] religious purposes, spiritual qiqong. Its a valid part of kung fu in some cases [spirit possession, etc] but in others it gets off track. IMHO, you can't get to doing 'qi knockouts' using trancedentalist methods and thats what a lot of ppl are selling in the big bad world. A lot of ppl just see qiqong as being that, can't see the difference *and* relation to solid qiqong. It isn't the thing in itself- its a side issue.

That side issue is a sloppy one, Union with the Infinite, etc. Is that the goal of MAs? No, IMHO, though that goal is a good one is & of itself. Kind of a fine line.

The technical side of meditation? I suppose we could go there, although that wasn't what I wanted to discuss.
    Last edited by ZIM; 03-21-2003 at 09:47 AM.
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

I found a neat page on trance meditation

http://www.astralpulse.com/guides/oobe/oobe_3.htm

It also talks about weird things like astral projection, which I dont really know about... but its interesting

Deep Trance
    The level of trance you achieve depends greatly on your relaxation, concentration skills and will power. To enter a deeper trance, i.e., Theta level and beyond, you have to concentrate much more and for much longer, on the mental falling sensation aided by breath awareness. The first level of trance, i.e., when you get very heavy, is quite deep enough for projection. I strongly advise against forcing yourself deeper than a light trance, until you have plenty of experience with the trance state.

How can you tell if you are entering a deep trance? There are four very noticeable symptoms:

An uncomfortable feeling of cold that doesn't make you shiver, coupled with a steady loss of body heat.
    Mentally, you will feel very odd and everything will feel extremely slooooow. Your thought processes will slow down as if you had been given a strong pain killing injection.
    You will feel disassociated from your body, i.e., a strong floating sensation and everything will seem far away.
    Total physical Paralysis.
    Note: These four things, ALL TOGETHER, signify you are entering a deep trance.

Do not mistake the mild floating sensation you sometimes get with light trance, i.e., as you astral body comes loose. Or the slight loss of body heat from sitting still for a long time and the mild paralysis, i.e., the heaviness, for a deep trance. The sensation of deep trance is quite uncomfortable and unmistakable for what it is.
    A trance feels like: Everything gets quieter and you feel like you are in a much bigger place. There is a very slight humming feeling in your body. Everything feels different. It feels a bit like putting a cardboard box over your head in the dark, you can feel the atmosphere change. It's like everything goes fuzzy or slightly blurred. Any sharp noises, while in trance, feel like a physical blow to the Solar Plexus.

All this was taken from the site.

Thoughts? Personally, I never knew that deep trances were uncomfortable. But then, I've never been in a trance

my version goes like this.

An intense bliss, not too far unlike sexual bliss, with kinda a heat, rising from the center of the body spreading out in all directions. The mind is incredibly crisp, all sounds are clear and alll sensations heightened. The body is clearly a highway of "rivers" but none the river greater than the river that rises from the center to the crown.

prana: i have experienced something very similar to what you just described

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Smile

Thats a dissociative deep trance, sometimes that occurs in relation to hypnosis or self-hypnosis. Its right at that time, the zen master would wack you on your shoulder blades....*thwack* 'Wake Up!', he would shout.

What prana and dezhen mention is closer, IMHO, to what I go after, 'cuz its more one's own body, going as a unit towards a transformative moment, hopefully to be kept permanently. Call it an 'associative' deep trance, if you like.

If you follow those trance steps, keep to the view that you are radiating from your center outwards; that should make it a good deal less uncomfortable. YMMV though, and IMHO.

on edit: transformation: can you discuss/define it for you? For me, I mean literally on a cellular level...
    Last edited by ZIM; 03-22-2003 at 09:04 AM.
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Zim:

i dunno about a cellular level dude - im not there yet But i do know, especially after doing Qigong then Meditation all over my body comes the usual tingling and unconscious muscle twitching until i finally relax... sometimes i can feel my circulation quite clearly and many other things.

More important is what happens to my mind. Ours is natural so it usually takes a while to let my thoughts come and go and quieten my mind. Then just let it be.

i find it very interesting as i am really connected and experiencing many things with my body - though not guiding or forcing them, just observing.

as far as transformation - im thinking more in the results i gain from training, its really quite apparent in me when others see me... the "spirit" in my eyes, posture, mental clarity, focus etc.

dawood

Wink

Does the body rule the mind, or the mind rule the body?

Do you get sick less? Less headaches? Thats what I mean by 'on the cellular level'. Iron palm, etc. also.

The radiating bliss, well, thats connection at a base level, and a host of other things besides.... it all adds up!

So, maybe you are there, but your body hasn't told your brain yet. Bugger all!

Note: I'm really not trying to come off as if the spiritual angle, the mental things, are not 'true' qiqong in some way... I just feel we get sidetracked in the forums so much that it doesn't help understanding...
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

hmmm... i thought u meant something else - of course all that

dawood

Thumbs up

I was just thinking:

If I were 7* I would've started the whole thing off with something like:

"Only people with healthy bodies have balanced minds. Flame on!" [WRT body ruling mind or mind ruling body]

Ah, it's enough. Thanks everyone.
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

14. Thumbs up

What is social psychology´s take on this?
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Greetings..

From my own experience and training.. meditation is the gateway to "direct experience".. silencing the mind, so that prejudice doesn't alter the perception of the experience.. Tingling, twitching, bliss, etc.. are always present, we have simply been programmed to behave in certain ways, to experience in certain ways.. Meditation is a form of deprogramming, a chance to feel and experience the fullness of being human.. we can categorize and label so much of the meditative experience that it becomes another ritual, another deception.. Once the mind is quiet form becomes formless, spontenaeity arises, we become present in the current unfolding experience.. this is extremely beneficial in the MAs, no longer are we strategizing and thinking the art, we ARE the art.. One of the greatest benefits of TAi Chi is it's training for movement in meditation.. training us to respond "naturally", unconfined by preconceived patterns..

Just my penny and a half.. Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"