Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hand dependancy

Originally posted by reneritchie

Bad Russian car, used by many taxi drivers in Guangzhou. We devolved into discussing them on another thread.
    That's 'Lada' with just one 'D' .
    Bad Russian car? You Americans are so snotty

Hand dependancy - sifu Philipp Bayer lacks a fist (the left one) and he's still a superior Wing Chun fighter. Granted, it's not an injury per se, but it is a handicap nevertheless.
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

Hey, we had bad local cars too ("Le car"). You can feel snotty about them if you want (And I won't even bring up the Yugo 8P)

Jean-Jacques Machado has only a partially formed (I think right?) hand and he's one of the most feared BJJ and Sub Wrestling competitors going. That's very different from an injury, though, in that injuries can really be made worse if you don't take care of them (and Bayer sifu and Prof. Machado could also be injured).

Captain, reread what I wrote -- I don't think we're disagreeing.

Rene, you are absolutely correct when you say "I say Wing Chun Kuen is NOT fighting. It is a progressive methodology to improve fighting ability."

KJ, you are absolutely wrong when you disagreed with Rene on the above point.

canalong, you are correct when you write "The knowledge level of your apponent my have to be taken into consideration" as skill is indeed relative. But are we training to be able to handle unskilled drunks (if so, how do you test that ability?) or skilled fighters? If you can do it against a skilled fighter, I'd suggest that the unskilled drunk will be a piece of cake (but not the other way round).

crimsonking was correct when he wrote, "there is so much to work on in wing chun that one can do when injured" -- I continued to train while recovering from a dislocated my knee (which occured in training). But he is incorrect when he writes, "it's a 'soft' martial art after all. . . " IMHO "soft" is a poor word for WCK's approach (even our kuit says "hard and soft combine in use"), one that new-agers who don't want to fight have embraced as a mantra -- a better interpretation of the chinese is "flexible" rather than "soft."

Terence

(And I won't even bring up the Yugo 8P)

Yes, please don't .
    I still have to see those godawful things in the streets of Zagreb every day

Jean-Jacques Machado has only a partially formed (I think right?) hand and he's one of the most feared BJJ and Sub Wrestling competitors going. That's very different from an injury, though, in that injuries can really be made worse if you don't take care of them (and Bayer sifu and Prof. Machado could also be injured).
    Yes, it is different. But there's one other difference - injuries heal with time.
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

Originally posted by t_niehoff
    Rene, you are absolutely correct when you say "I say Wing Chun Kuen is NOT fighting. It is a progressive methodology to improve fighting ability."

KJ, you are absolutely wrong when you disagreed with Rene on the above point.
    Clearly, you either a) failed to read what I wrote, b) are otherwise confused, or c) simply must take exception with me even when there is no exception to take ... twice so far in this thread alone.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

KJ,

You are absolutely correct when you agreed with Rene . . . and I stand corrected! Sorry -- this is what I get when I try to respond to more than one person at a time (a lesson learned -- focus, focus, focus). TN

Terence

Thank you, Terence.
    - kj

one hand controls two

Originally posted by mun hung
    wingman - it sound pretty simple in theory does'nt it?
    Yes, it is easier said than done. In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality. But in reality, there is a lot of difference. As WC practitioners, we should strive to bridge the gap between theory and reality.

In your case, you have limited use of one hand. Therefore, you are forced to use only one good hand to do most of the work.

BTW, I'm talking about the WC principle of "one hand controls two".
    Last edited by Wingman; 03-23-2003 at 10:28 PM.
    Defend where there is no attack; attack where there is no defense.

Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.