1 10.00%
  • quick and soon over

6 60.00%
  • not sure.

3 30.00%
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: ALL IRAQ topics here.

RD.

In case you didn't know the USA has the lowest gasoline prices in the world.

Try driving those fuel-guzzlers in another country and you will go bankrupt filling it up.

Nobody is trying to demonize you, just getting you to look at the world without your pro-US shades.

As for gloating, it appears that this thread seems to contradict it atleast in the eyes of non-like minded people.
    The thread title alone sez it all.

Your intent is not as important as how your actions are perceived in your peers.
    And at the moment the USA has 5.8 Billion peers watching its and it's citizens actions very closely.

Cheers.
    Witty signature under construction.

Just a question for everyone that was sparked in my mind regarding the place oil has in our everyday lives. Would it be better to focus more money on the development of alternative, sustainable fuel sources so that we no longer have this dependence on oil? If our very quality of life depends on the price of oil, wouldn't it be smarter to break that dependence?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by joedoe
    Just a question for everyone that was sparked in my mind regarding the place oil has in our everyday lives. Would it be better to focus more money on the development of alternative, sustainable fuel sources so that we no longer have this dependence on oil? If our very quality of life depends on the price of oil, wouldn't it be smarter to break that dependence?
    Fortunately, Australia is actually making some good ground on that subject.

If only it could happen faster. Trouble is, all the money is in oil.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Joedoe.

The wise thing would be to develop additional resources. Oil won't be around for ever and it is one of the biggest pollutants we got.

Japan already has fuel-cel cars on the road and the first hydrogen refueling station is up and running.
    Electric cars and hybrids are taking off well in both Europe and Japan.

The real stumbling block to alternative fuel sources I see is the investement that many got in oil-based products.

Fuel (being a side-product in the refinement process ) is only a small amount of what the oil & gas actually is used for.

We would have to readjust our lifestyles quite a bit in order to escape the oil dependancy.

One thing that fuled the modern way of life is plastic and guess what gets used in it's manufacture??

Cheers.

Hmmm, OK. I thought that oil as a fuel was the main reason for oil consumption levels. Obviously I was wrong
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Would it be better to focus more money on the development of alternative, sustainable fuel sources so that we no longer have this dependence on oil?

Reply]
    YES!, but that is not enough. Oil is used in solvents, lubercants, making plastics, refrigerant's, coolents, and has been integrated it in to our lives SO DEEPLY, that without it, we would revert to a caveman existence in a blink.

Much of our medical tecnology would beome un-functional, because of all the plastics in medical equipment (A syringe is plastic for instance), cars would cease to function without oil to lubercate the engines, transmission, differentials and axials.

Computers would cease to exist without plastics for insulation and the cases not to mention disks, DVD Roms, and floppies.

The refrigerants you use in your house hold refigerator is also derived from oil, and without it, we would not be able to store food, all manufacturing would grind to a hault LITERALLY because the machines used in mass production require lubercants to run. Without it, they seize the same as running a car without Oil. That means we would have NOTHING in the stores. No tooth brushes, not breakfast cereal, not even milk (Unless you have your own cow) No TV's, Vcr's, Sterios, nothing. No soap, anything you buy in a supemarket is made, processed, or shiped by machines that require some form of lubercant. Even the fork lift run on Propane has an internal combustion engine that requires oil to lubercate it's bearings, and coolants to keep it form over heating. We owe our ENTIRE EXISTANCE to oil. Without it, we are cavemen again, and way to over populated to support ourselves without the technologys we have, technologies that DEPEND on oil. Heck, even with food production, the combines that harvest our crops need oil to lubercate their motors, and other mechanical parts. Without oil dependant farm equipment, we cannot produce enough food to feed everyone.

Even the ELECTRIC CAR has bearing in the axials, and in the electric motor itself that are lubercated with oils, or greases derived from Crude oil.

Oil is an absoLUTE nessecety for survival. The smartest thing for the US to do, is sit on our reserves until the rest of the world runs out, make sure we have the biggest baddest army there is to fight off others trying to conquer us for the oil we have, and hope by that time some sort of replacement technology has been developed. At least by then, being the only world source for it will ensure our survival, and hopefully buy us the time to figure out how to ensure everyones survival.

If you think about this, you will see I am right.

Everyone document your arts on paper now, because when the oil runs out, the videos won't work anymore. (Just to make it on topic He he he)
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 03-23-2003 at 09:41 PM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Joedoe:

Here are some oil-based products:

OIL BASED PRODUCTS
    Materials or goods which have been produced wholly or in part from oil, e.g. petroleum.
    CARGO
    BENZINE
    GLYCERINE
    NAPHTHA
    OIL
    PARAFFIN
    PETROLEUM
    PITCH
    ROSIN
    TAR
    WHITE SPIRIT

And what was said in the post above this one.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 03-23-2003 at 09:22 PM.

I know that there are many products in our day-to-day lives that are oil-based, however I erroneously assumed that fuel was the main source of oil consumption.

You also forgot rubber as an oil-derived product

Yep, latex for Tires and similar is another one.

Actually I reckon we could replace some of those products with some that are not oil derived.

In this centuries the most treasured natural resouce will be FRESH WATER.

Seeya.

Originally posted by Royal Dragon
    Oil is an absoLUTE nessecety for survival. The smartest thing for the US to do, is sit on our reserves until the rst of the world runs out, and hope by that time some sort of replacement technology has been developed. At least by then, being the only world source for it will ensure our survival, adn hope fully buy us the time to figure out how to ensure everyones survival.
    Holy jeezus keeeerist, I can't believe I just read that!

Just hope some replacement technology gets developed, huh? And how much R&D money is being invested in the US to address that probem? Very little, I would imagine, as Dubya has been spending all your money making his toys.

Not to mention his own vested interest in oil.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Of course Saddam's got some WMD hidden somewhere. We should know since we're the ones who armed him the first place

Originally posted by Serpent

Holy jeezus keeeerist, I can't believe I just read that!

Just hope some replacement technology gets developed, huh? And how much R&D money is being invested in the US to address that probem? Very little, I would imagine, as Dubya has been spending all your money making his toys.

Not to mention his own vested interest in oil.

Actually, Australia does something similar. Granted, Australian oil is not the right grade for fuel etc, but we supply only about 20% of our own consumption so that our reserves will last longer.

However, we are trying to do something about alternative fuel sources. I don't know why the Australian govt does not put more money into developing a larger alcohol-powered car market, as Australia produces so much sugar we could use that to produce the alcohol for vehicles. Then instead of complaining about the ethanol content of petrol, Australians could complain about the petrol content of the ethanol

Holy jeezus keeeerist, I can't believe I just read that

!

Reply]
    It's terifiying when you think about it, ain't it?

The promising thing, it there is alot of research going inot this already. Good example, it the electric car being developed at all three major US auto manufacturers. it may not completely eliminate our dependancy on oil, but it will defenetly cut it down enough to double the life of the oil reserves if they get it going.

Also, on the lubercant front, some strides, abet only a few, have been made with Soybean substitues. The problem is they break down really quick, and would cost 100 times that of Crude oil based lubercants. But hopefully, by the time it runs out, we will have figured out how to make it work.

Of course Saddam's got some WMD hidden somewhere. We should know since we're the ones who armed him the first place

Reply]
    I hate to say it (read as admit it), but good point. Of course, when we did that, we didn't know he was a super power mongerig psyco. We just thought he was a normal contianable one. A good part of this war is a cleaning up of our own mess, I think. I mean, I suppose it's better than someone else cleaning up after us...............Right?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Originally posted by joedoe

Actually, Australia does something similar. Granted, Australian oil is not the right grade for fuel etc, but we supply only about 20% of our own consumption so that our reserves will last longer.

However, we are trying to do something about alternative fuel sources. I don't know why the Australian govt does not put more money into developing a larger alcohol-powered car market, as Australia produces so much sugar we could use that to produce the alcohol for vehicles. Then instead of complaining about the ethanol content of petrol, Australians could complain about the petrol content of the ethanol
    LOL.

I agree with your points. All of 'em. Well said.

Re: return to sender

Originally posted by Stumblefist
    Every American death, every Iraqi death is Sadams fault.
    He wants a Holy Bloodbath.
    Bull****. The US is at least as much to blame if not more so.