Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Training BLOG

Originally posted by SevenStar
    I just want to hear your training updates and epiphanies.
    OK. The TKD guys I regularly work out with are from a "Freestyle TKD" system, not a traditional TKD style. They have recently brought in an Arnis instructor and another instructor who also does different Japanese styles, including weapons. And he's a Judoka. I mentioned I was trying to learn a little grappling, and that was all it took.

I just got back from class, and tonight I learned:

*Grappling is an internal art (sort of). We did some Sumo drills for ballance, which reminded me of Tai Chi push hands in that you try to feel his energy and ballance and put your opponent on his butt or a knee.

*I actually managed to work him into an armbar (he obviously let me), which I didn't realize I had untill he tapped. I knew I had the arm, but I was still trying to work for better position and almost gave it up.

*I finally figured out that I should just undo the #@*^ ties on my gi before we start! (Don't laugh, you wankers. Some of us are not as quick as others!)It might not be a bad idea to invest in a Judo gi at some point too. I have a heavy weight gi, but it ain't that heavy.

*We went through some escapes from various holds, locks and chokes. Good stuff, but it sometimes involves sacrificing somethin of yours.

*Worked some takedowns and some principles in the clinch.

All in all a good workout. I hope they keep this up!

Joe, training your kung fu will always improve your kung fu and it will improve your strength and fitnes to a degree. But, I discovered long ago that it is essential to do extra cardio and strength training all the time in order to kinda keep up with yourself if you take your kung fu seriously.

You know that, obviously, but I think that's where you're finding correlations and differences at the moment. Does that make sense?

I've never been into weights really, but I do a lot of bodyweight stuff.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

What kind of bodyweight stuff do you do?

In the past I had always found that doing too many push ups and sit ups and stuff had an adverse effect on my kung fu because it seemed to stiffen up my torso, making it harder to generate power. I also found that my shoulders got too tight as well - this also occurred after a weights workout. I guess that is also another reason why I avoided weights.

What I am finding this time though is that despite the weights training I am still able to remain loose. Maybe I am at a stage in my training where my technique etc. can overcome any problems introduced by my 'gym' training.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Monday/Wednesday 11:45 a.m. until 12:45 p.m. Yoga

Tuesday/Thursday 11:35 a.m. until 12:50 p.m. Concepts of P.E. (weight training or cardio)

Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday
    or
    Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday
    Basically some home stuff such as push ups, crunches, curls when I find the time.

Monday/Wednesday 6:00 until 9:00 Wing Tsun

And in between I just find stuff.
    I have a signature.

and putting on muscle mass will help you lose weight even better, even when you're asleep ! Double whammy.

I have actually noticed in the last week or so that I feel warmer and sweat more readily. Is this a product of more exercise, or the weights workouts?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

both.

Most often your cappillary system increases and hence better circulation.

And also, muscle mass is always burning energy, so you'll also find you wake up hungrier.

Word of advise, if you have troubles sleeping and wake up with a heightened heart rate, ease off.

And stretch and massage relieves DOMS (ie. intense pain 2 days after)

not sure how you can maintain the flexibility for gor jor though...

that is a tough one. After climbing, there was no possibility of gor jor. Stiff as a stick... and not stronger either, just more injury prone.

Personally, I prefer to stick with gor jor if compared to doing weights... but that is only for me, and I respect you're different.

Originally posted by dnc101

OK. The TKD guys I regularly work out with are from a "Freestyle TKD" system, not a traditional TKD style. They have recently brought in an Arnis instructor and another instructor who also does different Japanese styles, including weapons. And he's a Judoka. I mentioned I was trying to learn a little grappling, and that was all it took.

I just got back from class, and tonight I learned:

*Grappling is an internal art (sort of). We did some Sumo drills for ballance, which reminded me of Tai Chi push hands in that you try to feel his energy and ballance and put your opponent on his butt or a knee.

*I actually managed to work him into an armbar (he obviously let me), which I didn't realize I had untill he tapped. I knew I had the arm, but I was still trying to work for better position and almost gave it up.

*I finally figured out that I should just undo the #@*^ ties on my gi before we start! (Don't laugh, you wankers. Some of us are not as quick as others!)It might not be a bad idea to invest in a Judo gi at some point too. I have a heavy weight gi, but it ain't that heavy.

*We went through some escapes from various holds, locks and chokes. Good stuff, but it sometimes involves sacrificing somethin of yours.

*Worked some takedowns and some principles in the clinch.

All in all a good workout. I hope they keep this up!
    glad you had fun. And glad you got an intro to what grappling is about. I have said in other threads that it seems to have an internal quality to it. If you're going to grapple on a regular basis though, I'd suggest investing in either a bjj or judo gi.

Often you may have to give up something to gain position. sometimes in will benefit you and sometimes it won't. it's all part of the game.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by joedoe
    I have actually noticed in the last week or so that I feel warmer and sweat more readily. Is this a product of more exercise, or the weights workouts?
    Increased metabolism, I'd guess.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by joedoe
    What kind of bodyweight stuff do you do?

In the past I had always found that doing too many push ups and sit ups and stuff had an adverse effect on my kung fu because it seemed to stiffen up my torso, making it harder to generate power. I also found that my shoulders got too tight as well - this also occurred after a weights workout. I guess that is also another reason why I avoided weights.

What I am finding this time though is that despite the weights training I am still able to remain loose. Maybe I am at a stage in my training where my technique etc. can overcome any problems introduced by my 'gym' training.
    were you stretching properly? I don't have that prob, and I was one of the best kickers in the school.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Monday: 3 6-minute conditioning sets with 3:30 rest between sets. 2 hrs BJJ

Tuesday: 2-3 hrs BJJ

Wednesday--see Monday

Thursday: See Tuesday

Friday: See Monday

Saturday--10:00-2:30 ish BJJ/Vale Tudo type training. Although I've been slacking in the Vale Tudo lately
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Enter the wuss...

I've said for a long time that I basically treat ma as a fun and healthy hobby. Plus the fact that until lately I was recovering from a knee injury and I'm broke all the time means I'm not going to class and only training solo. Plus, I don't do weights (something that really ought to change) so this will look pretty pathetic to most of you.

First thing in the morning: qigong; internal eagle claw and eight silken brocade.

various times throughout the day: chang taiji long form, probably a total of about 4 reps

evening: crunches, pushups, hindu squats (now that my knee is okay) also sometimes taiji iron ball or 13 naughty boys qigong.

sparring/rolling - none

cardio - do hindu squats count? Carrying my books and art supplies around campus? Probably not.

weight training - none

If I suddenly get money and time to do what I want, I'll probably be training at Tai Chi People three times a week, for his tai chi shuai chiao classes and saturday morning qigong, then at the Integrated Arts place I stumbled onto last week twice or three times a week for ground grappling and maybe I'd try his kickboxing, too. If I really wise up, I'll also start running and weights on alternate days.
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 03-26-2003 at 06:04 AM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Wink wuss like me...

Yeah, I'm a hobbyist myself, so what. I enjoy it.

I get in about an hour of yoga, ~ hour of qiqong [hard or soft, alternate], and ~ hour of forms, more or less each day [usually less nowadays ]. Classes run monday, wed, saturday, but I'm off them for a little while. I throw in weapons when I'm hanging out with JMA & WMA friends who do them, which is ~ once a week or so [not at that point in kung fu itself yet]. gotta get more serious.
    Last edited by ZIM; 03-26-2003 at 07:15 AM.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Great idea for a thread SevenStar. Just the sort of information this forum needed.

I only wish I had more to contribute myself right now. Truth is that I've been largely inactive for a few months now. Aside from the odd occassion when Merryprankster manages to drag me out to a grappling practice.

Last night, though, I found an honest-to-god boxing gym up the street from my home. So I'm going there tonight. And I still want to join Khun Kao's muay thai class when I can manage it too. So... more to report later.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.