Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Training BLOG

you live near khun khao's school? Sweet. Let us know what happens with the boxing gym
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Re: Enter the wuss...

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice

evening: crunches, pushups, hindu squats (now that my knee is okay) also sometimes taiji iron ball or 13 naughty boys qigong.

Okay, curiousity got the best of me on that one... 13 naughty boys?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I'm up to 320 reps on the Hindu squat - 4-5 times a week. I do calf raises, 40 reps while leaning against the wall at about 30 degrees (PI/6 of a radian for you nutts). I'm going back to jumping rope this month and will begin running sprints in May.

I can only do 30 regular pushups and 9 pullups. I laid off for too long, plus I always sucked at pushups even though I used to bench 260.

Haven't been stretching. Bought Matt Furey's stretching tapes used from Mr. Bao, watched three out of 4. Matt is either punch drunk, on drugs, or mildly retarded. I think some combination. Still, I liked the tapes.

Haven't been training. First I was injured, now life is in the way and will be for some time. Do plan to go back to it someday - maybe in a year!

Joedoe - Not to pick on you, but the best rapper is white? Must be some English or Italian guy.

Yup Seven. Khun Kao knows how to coach. Sweet hands for a thai boxer

I'd like to get out there too (sigh) BJJ takes up all my time.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by SevenStar
    you live near khun khao's school? Sweet. Let us know what happens with the boxing gym
    Yep. Actually, he lives about four blocks from me. But he teaches about 45 minutes beyond that. And since I work 45 minutes in the opposite direction, it makes getting around kinda challenging. (Not that getting around in the DC metro area isn't challenging enough as is.)

Still, he ran a great class when I was there last. So I'd like to manage it soon. Perhaps after I get these grad school apps finished. [groan]

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

I'm going to get up with Khun Kao for a MT 'intensive' next month…

as for revalations in my training…

*5:30 am workouts suck…
    *cardio cardio cardio… easier said than done…
    *I really suck at groundwork…
    *not too many 'regular' people understand the pain I'm going thru to compete… this is d@mn near a second job… sorry I cant hang out I'm REALLY tired ...
    *and as a second job…… the pay sucks...
    *I need to get back into working out with the local Judo club… my throws have went down hill…
    *I really need to start taking advantage of this gym they have here at my job… b'cuz I don’t know how much time I have left here… and my next job might not have such facilities…
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Mon: Morning Stretch legs for 20 min or so
    Lunch Compound Heavy Lifts (Deads, Side Press, etc) 1 Hr
    Heavy Bag work and Conditioning 6 to 7
    Hung Gar 7-9:30
    San Shou and or Sparring 9:30 to 11:00

Tue: Morning Stretch legs for 20 min
    Lunch HIIT for half hour, then 30 min Horse Stance work.
    6 to 7 Forms work
    7 to 9:30 Hung Gar
    9:30 to 11:00 Forms and Sparring

Wed: Morning Stretch legs for 20 min
    Lunch Compound Heavy Lifts (Weights/Shadowbox) 1 Hr

Thur: Morning Stretch legs for 20 min
    Lunch HIIT for half hour, then 30 min Horse Stance work.
    6 to 7 Forms work
    7 to 9:30 Hung Gar
    9:30 to 11:00 Forms and Sparring

Fri: Morning Stretch legs for 20 min
    Lunch Compound Heavy Lifts (Deads, Side Press, etc) 1 Hr

Sat: Forms 10-11
    Hung Gar 11-1:30 or 2

Sun: 10 or 11 for an hour or two, heavy bag, and Forms.

Life outside of Hung Gar? I try to play hard when I get a chance, but I really plan on doing it full time in a couple more years if things permit. I find that you also dont improve so much any one thing a lot more by training this heavily, though you can improve many MORE things incrementally at the same time by keeping a heavy and unbroken schedule week to week.
    -Golden Arms-

Fa_jing - pushups and bench press don't correlate - one is strength and the other is endurance. Don't sweat it if you can't do alot of pushups.

And I'll agree that one of the best rappers is white - eminem is a fuggin lyrical genius.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

And I'll agree that one of the best rappers is white - eminem is a fuggin lyrical genius.
    *SMH* he's good and all… but c'mon… he cant compare to folks like Black Thought… Talib… Mos… GZA… but I'll give it to him… out of all the cats that get airplay… Em kills 'em…

GA has my schedule beat… by Sunday I cant even move…
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

prana - I agree, I will give up weights as soon as it adversely affects my kung fu training. Until then I figure it can only be good for me. I checked with James and he said that weights are OK as long as I am careful not to injure certain tendons.

7* - Back then I didn't stretch enough, but the other thing I found was that as my muscles got stronger they seemed to get 'tighter'. This was more a problem with my abs and this affected my ability to use my waist to generate power. It appears that this is no longer a problem as I stretch more after workouts and I suspect my technique is better than what it used to be.

fa_jing - hey, it was a quote. I don't really listen to rap I have to admit that I do find Eminem's lyrics interesting though.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by joedoe
    What kind of bodyweight stuff do you do?

In the past I had always found that doing too many push ups and sit ups and stuff had an adverse effect on my kung fu because it seemed to stiffen up my torso, making it harder to generate power. I also found that my shoulders got too tight as well - this also occurred after a weights workout. I guess that is also another reason why I avoided weights.

What I am finding this time though is that despite the weights training I am still able to remain loose. Maybe I am at a stage in my training where my technique etc. can overcome any problems introduced by my 'gym' training.
    What do I do? Pushups, Hindu Pushups (love those guys!), dips, pullups, chinups, jackknives, crunches, back raises, single-leg squats, Hindu squats... probably some more that aren't coming to mind right now!

I stretch a lot and I work on a lot of speed and bagwork before and after classes. I do a lot of work on core body flexibility too so that waist turning doesn't become an issue.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Oh yeah. I'm not particularly into hip hop, but Eminem rules!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

13 (er, ten) naughty boys - no spanking!

13 Naughty Boys is Paul's translation, and you know how those chinese to english translations can be!

We've actually talked a bit about this set before; it's the balance and strength qigong for shuai chiao. Let me see if I can remember them all...

1 Jump into the sea (stand on one leg, stretch the other behind, stretch your arms forward, make your torso parallel to the ground)

2 Send hay to the barn (same as above, with arms stretched behind you)

3 Sparrow flies over the water (in horse stance lean forward until your torso is parallel to the ground and stretch your arms behind you)

4 Three levels (with feet together hold feet, thighs, and arms (forward) all parallel tot he ground)

5 Confused root of decaying tree (in horse stance bend forward and wrap one hand through your legs to grasp the outside of the ankle, raise the other hand high and fix your gaze on it)

6 Reap grain in the wind (balance all your weight on one foot, touch the heel of the other to the ground in front of you, bend over and sweep both hands in circles around your front foot)

7 Immortal looks in mirror (get some free weights, stand in front stance, and do wrist curls with one hand in front and one behind you)

8 Li Hei sharpens his axes (with free weights stand in front stance and push the weights forward horizontally palms down, bring them back palms up)

9 Green onion sprouts in the wild (hold both arms and one leg horizontally in front of you)

10 Rhino looks at the moon (cross your legs at the ankles, bend forward, and with the hand on the side as your front leg reach around to grasp that leg's ankle while the other hand sits on your hip and you fix your gaze on the elbow of the upper hand)

that's all I remember this minute.

I guess Eminem isn't too bad, for the mainstream. But then I also like Ludacris, so I better not talk too much smack about the mainstream.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Thanks Serp. Sounds similar to what I used to do.

BTW I am going to show my ignorance here, but what are Hindu squats & Hindu pushups?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I dunno from hindu pushups, but to do a hindu squat, plant your feet about shoulder width apart then bend your knees until you're almost sitting on the back of your heels. Your heels may raise up a bit for this. Then stand back up. Do it slowly enough to feel tension going both up and down. Don't let yourself 'bounce' at the bottom of the squat. Swing your arms gently to stay balanced. Then paint a red dot in the middle of your forehead and refuse to eat meat (optional.)
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.