Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Training BLOG

Sorry, I can't do them then - I can't bring myself to cut meat out of my diet

Seriously, how slowly should they be done, like 10 secs per rep or faster?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Yeah, CSN is right about the squats. The push up is like this:

Start with your hands and feet double shoulder width apart and your arse up in the air, like an inverted V. Then bend the arms and lower your head between your hands and then kinda surf forward and extend up till your arms are straight...

Wait a minute...

Here you go.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

With regard to that link above, I do the pushups slightly different cos I go back the way I went forward and I find it works the muscles more, rather than the return as described there. Give them a go, cos they rule!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

As long as you don't just relax and fall on the downward part of the squat, that's what's important. Slow enough to avoid that is plenty slow. 10 seconds per rep is positively glacial.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

OK - I see what you mean. We used to call those tiger push ups - dunno why

So how fast do you actually do each squat? Is it a quick motion, or is it done slowly?
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

I think the pushups are also sometimes called dive bombers. The squat is done relatively quick, but you have to avoid the bounce. Wait a bit and I'll show you them both, mate.

It looks to me like the pushups y'all are talking about are the same as the yoga transition from downward facing dog to cobra (if my long dormant yoga knowledge isn't too rusty.)
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    It looks to me like the pushups y'all are talking about are the same as the yoga transition from downward facing dog to cobra (if my long dormant yoga knowledge isn't too rusty.)
    Yeah, it's almost exactly that. It's also exactly the same as the middle portion of the Salute To The Sun asana.

Tiger Push-Ups, Hindu Push-Ups, and Divebomber Push-Ups are three different exercises.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Originally posted by Serpent
    I think the pushups are also sometimes called dive bombers. The squat is done relatively quick, but you have to avoid the bounce. Wait a bit and I'll show you them both, mate.
    No worries. Looking forward to it.

Originally posted by Stranger
    Tiger Push-Ups, Hindu Push-Ups, and Divebomber Push-Ups are three different exercises.
    I only really know what I do and I call them Hindu's, but they're not quite like the link I provided.

Can you descibe the differences between the three and what their pros and cons are?

Hindu Push-ups:
    (The set-up for proper start position)Start in basic push up position / separate legs wide / walk back your hands until your arse is in the air and you feel the stretch in your hamstrings

(The movement)Swoop down and forward directing your chin, then chest, then abdomen, then groin towards the floor / You should then be well forward and looking up towards the ceiling / rock directly back to starting position / DO NOT RETURN THROUGH SAME PATH AS FORWARD MOVEMENT

Divebomber Push-ups:
    (The set up for proper start position) Same as in Hindu Push-up

(The movement)Swoop forward as in Hindu Push-Ups / Return back along same path as forward motion

Tiger Push-Ups:
    (The set up for proper start position) Heels against a wall / bend at waist sharply until hands are on the ground- you should have your arse way in the air and be in an acute upside down v-angle / slowly rotate both hands inward so that the fingers of one hand point towards the fingerson the other hand- like this E 3

(The movement) bend at elbows and dip straight down / return to start position along the same path
    Last edited by Stranger; 03-26-2003 at 08:42 PM.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Cool, thanks for that. So what I'm doing are actually divebombers by your definitions.

(E 3. You have hands like the Simpsons? )

D'oh!

Monkey vs. Robot

Originally posted by Suntzu
    *SMH* he's good and all… but c'mon… he cant compare to folks like Black Thought… Talib… Mos… GZA… but I'll give it to him… out of all the cats that get airplay… Em kills 'em…

GA has my schedule beat… by Sunday I cant even move…
    eh, I dunno... the more I listen to Talib, the less he seems to impress me. The others are pretty tight though. two more I couldn't leave off that list are ras kass and mad skillz (before he started calling himself "skillz" - I dunno why he dropped the mad part.)
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter