Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fighting Spirit

Fighting Spirit

I have seen many fights won by strong minds that just would not give in
    This quote was taken from from an article from Sifu Barry Lee (originally from the "NATURAL ATTRIBUTES" thread).

I know that in my personal experience, I never learned so much about myself as I did the first time I took a real hit to the head and almost went down. No amount of training prepares you completely for that first time you take a hit, or an attempted hit, from someone who REALLY means you harm. My lesson was learned long before I started WC, but it was a good lesson: I don't freeze up. So my WC is more about doing it RIGHT than about doing it, because I know I'll do something.

I know that through training and sparring you learn, among other things (I know there is much more than just this) how to remain calm in a stressful situation and not sacrifice your structure and relaxation.

I am wondering what other methods, besides hitting the streets and looking for a fight (which is NOT a good idea), people use or have experienced that helps build that "fighting spirit." I know nothing teaches it faster and more completely than the real thing, but what if the real thing is not an option?

Thanks in advance!

-Levi

Other options

If the physically combative avenue is not available to train the spirit...

I would have to say that the training of the mind, body and spirit through mediation would be another avenue. This might be a more philosophical and spiritual approach, as opposed to physical training and fighting as the method. Meditating helps the spirit. Some monks have regarded fighting as the highest form of meditation.

A story was told to me about an idiom (REAL general translation):”The center is the origin of everything.” The center of anything is considered the most important part. When you are fighting, the moment you lose your balance, root, and self-awareness you can no longer maintain calmness. You are no longer in control of yourself. Uncertainty clouds the mind and brings fear, doubt, and despair into oneself. In that sense you are not only fighting another person, you are fighting yourself and suffering as a consequence. The monks who tasted the edge of Life and Death realized at that moment, only one thing was clear: certainty. Then suffering became non-existent at that moment.

It is within your center where ‘certainty’ or clarity (might be a better word for the moment) must permeate your being. Meditate on things you know are constant; things you know are universally true, and above all meditate to know yourself. Clear your center of all things uncertain and what is before you will be understood. As Sitaigung Gee says, “Understand the basic nature of all things.”

This is a quote from another user on the Shaolin forum who stated this:

Boddhidarma's teaching:
    "No direct transmission from scripture.
    No dependence upon words and letters.
    Direct gazing upon the soul of man;
    Understanding one's own true nature.
    Thereby achieving one's own Buddhahood."

As this thread is about ‘spirit’ (fighting spirit to be exact), keep in mind ‘your’ spirit is directly influenced by your ‘mind’. Train and mature the mind and you can strengthen your fighting spirit.

Coming from the spiritual side of things on this one…
    -Savi.

I agree.

2-hour stances seem to build a strong spirit.

''2-hour stances seem to build a strong spirit.''
    hi [Censored]
    i don't exactly know how to take that, esp. with your little head job picture at the end, but i will ask if you have ever stood in stance that long, performing nothing more than the first form, to see what sort of mental fortitude it takes?
    vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

Judo is a good alternative especially if you attend a competitive school and enter competions. The lack of striking means it's more difficult for the weaker person so agression and fighting spirit help tip the balance.

I've only done SLT for 45 minutes, but I've done other postures for 2 hours. If you've tried it, then you'll know why I use

[Censored]
    after about a year of training i was asked to perform 10 forms without a break as i was the only one in the class that day not up to the 2nd form, by an hour and 10 odd minutes my legs just couldn't go anymore.
    i was caught trying to sit and recover after about 2 minutes, i was then asked(told) to keep going, well i'll be ****ed if the next hour wasn't quite a piece of cake. after that the half hour we'd spend in stance at training each night was a breeze.
    mentally i think it showed me that i could push myself through the discomfort(pain) i was inflicting on myself and survive and keep going. as to handling pain from outside sources(ie other people) i had already learnt to handle that from many other avenues.
    do you mind me asking what other postures you have had to endure for 2 hours.
    as to fighting spirit, i've always enjoyed and tried to follow the saying 'if you train hard, you'll not only be hard, you'll be hard to beat'
    having been in just a couple of fights i think that you have to prepare yourself well both mentally and physically in as many different ways you can find and then be determined to be the baddest wildest animal there is if you are to survive against someone else who might be trying to cause you great harm.
    vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

do you mind me asking what other postures you have had to endure for 2 hours.

Something like this:
    http://www.chi-kung.org/images/profyu.gif

Kinda similar to the forms thread but basically pushing yourself physically.

We normally do it through exercise so that you build up the mental attitude to go on when you body is telling you no!

Also visualisation might help, ie running through attack scenarios in your head where you get hit and get back up?!?

How do you guys in winchun generate "sprit" (ie:fighting spirit)?
    Are you specifically taught it, or its something that you just learn.
    ***SONIC KICK***

You can develop pride and have the desire never to be embarassed... but the killer instinct and the inbred desire to fight regardless is something you are born with...
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

Streetfighter!!!

Originally posted by Guile
    How do you guys in winchun generate "sprit" (ie:fighting spirit)?
    Are you specifically taught it, or its something that you just learn.
    Hey Guile,
    I do not think anyone can learn it. Because it is apparent that not everyone is 'cut out' to be a fighter, or have the 'Heart of the Tiger'. Maybe that's just a matter of time. It's really what is in your heart, and it is also the person's ability recognize and use what is in their hearts.

In other words, you have to do what you have to do when the time comes. If you can't, your heart is not ready to do what is necessary. Hence the doubt and fear I talked about earlier. Perhaps for some people, it is only a matter of time until they are ready to come into their own.

It is a self-journey. Read up on the ways of a warrior's life if you are interested.

-Savi.

PS: Streetfighter is a cool game, but I'm more of a tekken guy myself...

I do not think anyone can learn it.

Nobody can learn it by using an incorrect method. Anyone can learn it, if they are willing to "taste the bitterness". Some may need to taste more than others. This is my experience, anyway.

Thansk for the info guys
    ***SONIC KICK***