Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: thai kickboxing vs akido

thai kickboxing vs akido

ok i watched a thai kickboxing class with my cousin yesterday i was very impressed those kicks are vicious and tha combinations were great too my boy has benn taking aikido for almost 2 years
    but the stuff i seen in his class doesn't look like it could handle that like what would a aikido person do against a thai kickboxers attacks and vice versa
    death doesn't end life i do

The Aikido person should run, or accept his/her defeat =]
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !

Firstly, this is Kung Fu forum and aikido is Japanese arts, but you know that already right?

Secondly, let say, both thai kickboxer and aikidoka trained equally hard so the difference is matter of style and tactics.

Main techniques in aikido are lock and throw. Because these two are often combined, when aikido technique is applied with intent to harm, it will either break bones or throw occur without one being able to do break fall which incidentally break bone as well.

But setting up the situation where you can apply aikido technique is the hardest part. Main fighting strategy of aikido is to set yourself where relative position of you and your opponent is such that you are in control of your opponent after you evaded your opponent's attack.

Almost every aikido kata occur after irimi (entering, i.e. forward step) or tennkan (evasion, i.e. turning step) foot works, and these foot works is almost exclusively done with focus of evasion in mind though irimi is obviously far more aggressive evasion footwork.

Main principle idea is ma-ai (distance from your opponent where you are safe from opponent's attack while at the same time you can move in if opponent make careless move). Once you move closer to black belt, you must do aikido technique against dummy knife and japanese sword. Main idea is to train aikidoka with the perception of maai. Once you become black belt, you start using real knife and sword. And in this, you **** up and you get cut. In Britain, insurance compamy nowaday don't insure practice with real japanese sword unfortunately, so most training are done privately between instructor and senior dan grade.

So if two fight in the ring, the deciding factor is the size of the ring. It's not known among general public but the size of ring is not fixed by the rule. In boxing this is the major negotiation point between the managers of two fighter and bookies pay careful attention to this factor aside from the weight of grove. The fight would be most boring to watch, you will see one try to catch the other and the other is trying not get cornered.

On the street, it is far more advantageous to aikidoka because he has unlimited space to move around.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

the main principle in aikido is to control the "centre" of the person. That being the case i have successfully used aikido against MT people by stepping in and palming them in the jaw

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Thumbs up

Comparing the average intensity of training of these two arts,it seems obvious that mt has the edge.

Kicks,seem to be a dark spot for various aikidoka since defenses are often trained against grabs (mainly in the beginning at very least) and strikes,weapons...kick defenses may not be trained in such manner.

Ring is out of the game since this is "against" aikido,basically.

It tends to be easier to just pop and kick hard and fast with efficiency than to train oneīs brain to actually stand out and redirect those shots.
    However,aikido is the art of making the opponent look like a child if known very well.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

I'd have to give the nod to Muay Thai in terms of fighting. On average, MT produces a lot more good fighters than Aikido, mostly because nearly every MT class forces its students to fight in the ring and test out their skills full contact. The Aikidoka would have to be exceptional to stand a chance, because the MT practioner will more than likely be in shape, and be able to pummel the snot out of the overweight hippies in Hakamas in most Aikido schools these days.

There are different branches of Aikido though, even a competitive branch.

depends on the muay thai guy and the aikido guy... i have used aikido to defend against full contact karate people and kickboxers before.

if you can control your distance and angle and have a good guard, then it can be very useful.

Also if you learn "atemi" the striking aspect as well as just the locking and throws its useful too, even if just to draw the guard.

Aikido does no have many different techniques, but has many principles that can be applied to different situations - even defence against kicks. you just have to practise them.

dawood

Thumbs up

Dezh.According to OīS,there are thousands of (how many was it?) techs.I do not believe that most of the practitioners know a hundred by name though.
    Also being said that according to the situation,new ones are created as you mention on principles.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Thumbs up

of course man - every situation is different and spontaneous which calls for a "new" technique - no lock or throw is ever gonna be exactly the same - but the principle is still there.

dawood

I think it would be realistic to say that, the Aikido person would have to be faaaar better in Aikido to win from the MT person that is only just good at MT. So if you don't understand, the Aikido person would have to know aikido alot better, then the MT person would have to know MT ... if you're folowing me =]

I think its time to call a troll a troll so........YOUR A TROLL.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

*you are a troll* is the correct writing I think =]
    If only I knew what a troll was

Trolls live under bridges and eat billy goats.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

depends on how you train aikido... and how much partner work you do.

after practising breakfalls a lot i learned "irimi" and "tenkan" which is body movement inside or outside - direct or circular. Then we practised that against different grabs and attacks, including kicks, especially roundhouse. Working on your angle and distance was very important, as well as the direction of using your energy.

That way we learned where the weak parts of the partners structure is and how to redirect and go against their energy.

Actually i found it rather useful for MA in general

dawood

Originally posted by dezhen2001
    depends on how you train aikido... and how much partner work you do.

after practising breakfalls a lot i learned "irimi" and "tenkan" which is body movement inside or outside - direct or circular. Then we practised that against different grabs and attacks, including kicks, especially roundhouse. Working on your angle and distance was very important, as well as the direction of using your energy.

That way we learned where the weak parts of the partners structure is and how to redirect and go against their energy.

Actually i found it rather useful for MA in general

dawood
    If MT boxers are experienced, they are not going to make committed attack. So I don't think you ever have chance to grab his arm. Instead he will try to wear aikidoka with jab, unitl off course, he corner the aikidoka. Then aikidoka is a punch/kick bag.

Given MT command on the frontal centre line, I don't think you can get open chest position from MT. So Aikidoka must make Wing Chun/Bagua like diversionally advance to get to the side of MT boxer. then go ape **** on the guy until you get the lock or throw.

So the battle is going to be all about footwork. But then so as any any martial arts fight.
    Last edited by Vapour; 03-29-2003 at 03:12 PM.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.