Thread: does anyone free spar with weapons

does anyone free spar with weapons

i had wanted to know if anyone sparred with weapons and wha type
    death doesn't end life i do

Yes. Mostly european... Dagger, knife, longsword, one handed sword, sword and shield, sword and buckler, polearms..etc..

wooden and bamboo weapons only
    Not steel.

bo x bo
    bo x sai

A little, more or less full contact with pads and fencing masks.

A good bit of bo x bo, light or no contact, no pads or mask.

A bit of play with butterfly swords, some foam escrima stick stuff.

Don't ever play with those plastic butterfly swords, - they get chunks taken out of them when blades clash - and they end up with some nasty spikes on the edge.

One slice, and you end up ripping a chunk outta someone.

(I know, I'm missing a bit outta my hand due to that)
    'If someone wants to fight you, run a mile. If they are still behind you after that, run another mile. If they still want to fight, and it is really worth it, turn around and beat the living !*$!% out of them, 'cause they will be really tired.'

We just started on Dao and our instructor is going to introduce free sparing soon.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

yes, but only with guns.
    where's my beer?

Yes. Our school uses wooden jian (oak) for free-sparring.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Thumbs up

Yes, we use foam padded arnis sticks and occasionally rubber knives, or large markers.
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

Yes. Single stick, double stick, stick and dagger, and a bit of long staff.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Yes.

We're Filipino Martial Arts based and we spar w/just about any type of rattan weapon. We stay away from steel weapons and use the rattan to simulate the steel weapons because rattan is relatively safe. We spar full-contact.

The weapons that you might see used in sparring at our place include: single stick, double stick, stick & "knife" (ie short stick), "knife", double "knife", staff, jo, nunchaku, double nunchaku, shinai, 3-section staff.

These are weapons or combinations of weapons that you might see go up against another weapon or combination of weapons. In other words, you might see stick & "knife" put up against shinai or double nunchakus. Am I making sense?

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

P.S. I think I have even seen stick and nunchaku and nunchaku and "knife" used in combination to fight against other weapons.

I used to but not in quite a while. I started to teach sparring with the do but have yet to find anything strong enuff to withstand training drills let alone sparring!

We used padded poles. I tried padded 'bats' for the do but they snapped after one or two great headshots

nospam.