Thread: 1 or 3 sets?

1 or 3 sets?

Does it really make a difference, 1 or 3 sets?
    Let people make mistakes; it's the easiest way to learn and remember what not to do.

what are you trying to achieve, and how many reps are you doing? Give us some specifics
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I am looking to build functional strength, and to decrease my bodyfat % from 8% to 5%. I do bodyweight and every once in a while i use dumbbells. I try to keep to sets of 5, and sets of 10, but I'm in JROTC in my high school and that naturally gives me a lot of practice with high rep. single sets with 30+ at a time (for example, pushups, and situps). Pullups I can only go up to about 5, and chinups only up to about 10.
    Let people make mistakes; it's the easiest way to learn and remember what not to do.

so, is it better to do 1 set or 3 sets?

I'd reccomend two sets, a la PTP. there are several threads on power to the people here - check them out.

since you mention "funcitonal" strength, remember to do the big compound exercises - bench, squat, deads, etc. pullups are great too.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter