Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardio Work

Question Cardio Work

Hello to one and all,

I've got a question about cardio and frequency. Is it a bad thing to do a cardio workout seven days a week. By "Workout" I mean the standard cardio circuit at the gym of bike, treadmill and ski machine thing.

The reason I ask is that after a long time of abusing my body with vast quantities of alcohol I have been hitting the gym hard for the past month or so in order to be fighting fit once again. Tommorow would be my seventh day straight. Now, obviously I have read the importance of rest on muscles and I perform the standard cycle of one day chest / arms / legs /etc / etc for weights but what about cardio?.

Being a muscle does the heart need a rest period as well to improve it's performance?.

On a side issue I have just brought a jump rope for home use. Does anyone know off any cool routines.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

cardio

Sorry to say, I hate running. The weather can be pretty lousy here, and running is just really boring. I'd like to quit, but obviously stopping cardio is a bad idea.

What I'm thinking of doing instead is one of those cardio videos like the Cardio Tai Chi at Martial Arts Mart or Tae Bo. This way, I can pop in the tape in the morning before work, do my routine in the comfort of my own home, and I can pop in the shower and head to work.

Does anyone else use these kinds of videos? Can anyone recommend anything useful? I'd like something that can will build up to an hour workout (most of the ones I see promise great results in just 2.5 seconds a day, or some such nonsense). I'd also like something effective. This is not going to be used as any kind of replacement for actual MA training, it's just blending something I do for my health with something I actually enjoy doing.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

"hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

As much as I love Scrapper's workouts, which Father Dog linked, I'd just like to say that they won't tax your cardiovascular system like jogging will. They can be equally as boring as well even though you switch exercises a lot, it is still a lot of monotonous movement. If health is truly your concern, jog, ride a bike, swim or even get a jump rope.

Instead of looking for a set in stone way to do things, experiment with yourself. I don't mean in the 12-year old just finding out about your willy way either. Jog 1/2 mile, do 50 push-ups, sprint 1/4 mile, do 50 bodyweight squats, jog 1/2 mile, jump rope for 5 minutes, etc. Just find new ways to tax yourself, and make your workouts fresh and challenging every time you go out.

I'm really trying to stop the outside part of it. At least as a routine. I mean, I like to train outside if the weather is good, but otherwise it just spoils the fun of a workout.

Also, I'm sick of running. I have tried mixing it up with other activities before, but it just didn't work, which is why I'm trying the video thing. If it doesn't work, I'll go back to the running, but I'd like to give it a shot and hope I get some good results.

I like swimming. If you have access to a pool, give it a shot. I do it for fun, the "cardio workout" come as a bonus...

Peace!

I like to swim too, but I don't have easy access to a pool. Also I have to be to work a bit early, so any pool I might have access to wouldn't be open then anyway.

Well sick of running or not, long-sustained low-intensity exercise if what is best for the cardiovascular system. If staying healthy was easy and fun then everybody would be.

So you're saying that none of the workout videos out there qualifies as long-sustained low-intensity exercise?

Don't want to get into it. Have fun.

How about this? If you've got a bike, get one of those magnetic (?) trainers that you put your back wheel on to turn your bike into an exercise bike. When the weather's good, take your bike outside for a proper ride instead. If you get bored, get a mountain bike and try some trail riding. Good cardio and good fun. Try to use your bike whenever you can. I ride every day.

I'm not a huge fan of biking. I'd actually rather be running. I went mountain biking with a friend of mine recently (I used to do it all the time when I was younger), and I didn't like it at all. I don't know what changed. I still like the outdoors and nature, but I didn't like the biking aspect of it.

And Ford, why don't you want to get into it?

Just don't want to take the time really. It would be a lot of typing.

How about Pack Walking,gets you out into the green.No better Low intensity work out.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Someone on another board recommended a Wavemaster heavy bag, and I can do my cardio in circuit training. At first, I figured I couldn't get a heavy bag, because I have no place to hang it. But the Wave master is free standing, you just fill the base with sand or water and start punching and kicking.

Has anyone ever tried this bag? It says that it weighs 270 lbs. when you fill the base, which makes me wonder about its stability. I mean, I've kicked guys that were easily 270, and sent them flying. Granted, they were drunk, so balance was an issue, but I still wonder if 270 is enough against a kick with some meat on it.