Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chum kiu lopsidedness

thanks

good replies

lately, i've just been throwing in an additional kick and step back with the opposing legs into my chum kiu... perhaps sacriledge and *******izing the form, but it makes me fell better

as to doing the kick with the left improving the right, my right kick does seem just as strong as my left, and i doubt my extra practice of the right kick has come close to the amount of practice i've put into the left. mabye there is something to be said for this.

to burnyspoo:
    of the little bit of the bat jaam do that i know (only the first two sections - been getting really drilled on them ) theres at least one right kick (the one our form opens with). this isn't very similar to the lone left kick in chum kiu however.
    Travis

structure in motion

"So I guess the motor control programming can transfer from the right brain hemisphere to the left at some point. So training one side can benefit the other automatically."
    It still would make more sense to put the other kick in if bilateral development were your goal. since 90+% of the forms are done blaterally, presumably for that reason, why not do the extra kick?

I don't beleive there's anything particularly profound about the sequence of techniques in the form and certainly no form of Bible Code.

Any anyway, my observations indicate this hypothesis to be highly questionable. There maybe some small transfer of skill, but no way anywhere near as much as would occur with bilateral training. How many guitarists do you know who cn play as well (or at all) with the instrument the wrong way around? some of this is intellectual, sure, but most of guitar playing IMO is getting the fingers to work smoothly and rapidly enough - a physical skill.

Most students I've seen kick way better with one leg to start off with, and only get the other leg to a comparable level via hard training on the less coordinated side. Sometimes I feel that learning a particular kick with one leg feels as if it were a different skill from kicking with the other.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Andrew check your email via kfo?
    <joy@azwingchun.com>

joy,

my email's been out of commission for a few days. If it's urgent, try anerlich@yahoo.com.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!