Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets not f**k about

i'm glad you weren't seriously injured. it sounds to me likeyou learned a great deal from this experience, so in that you are fortunate. there is a saying"train for chaos, thrive in chaos". whatever else you may have learned, i'll bet that next ime you are in a situation you'll be much calmer.
    Once committed to fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no commitment that overrides that one. Cut. Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly and directly as possible. Cut with certainty. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into his strength. Flow through the gaps in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don't allow him a breath. Crush him. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit.

in reply to Apoweyn:

Yes I'm afraid so, it was not a choice when I get mad in a fight I'm not thinking bout anything but doing some injury.

Liokault:

LoL you are probably right, but then thats part of what ****ed me off about getting hit in the first place. But then what do I give a **** about what he is telling his mates...in his mind he knows what went on.

1renox:

Funny that about the Black belts who get their ass kicked, you're right there are many of them. The thing is alot will have trained for along time in the martial arts and never had a fight they then go and teach, its a bit like trying to teach someone to swim without ever having got in the water!
    Last edited by Scythe; 04-04-2003 at 03:57 AM.

Scythe,

in reply to Apoweyn:

Yes I'm afraid so, it was not a choice when I get mad in a fight I'm not thinking bout anything but doing some injury.
    Well, you don't sound proud of that, which I can respect.

I can certainly understand developing tunnel vision under stress. But if you've got to draw some lesson from this, I'm thinking it needs to be about priorities. Not whether takedowns or punches work better. Or when you should morally have relented on your attacks. Or whether a punch in the nose justifies chasing the guy down.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to get overly lecturey. But you've got four kids. That has to be more important than some git in the front driveway.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    thats what i was gonna say, but he never said how old they were.
    Babysitting age, I guess.

Stuart B.

yeah but that could be 6 through 12 which isnt as bad as 1 through 5.

how old are the little buggers anyway?
    where's my beer?

Well, that's true enough. I could well have jumped to conclusions.

I do that on occassion, making my sig line all the more apropos.

nothing wrong with being passionate about the well being of children. im with ya brother.
    where's my beer?

The biggest fault I see in your experience on your part is that frter he ran away you gave chase. Not only is this not very smart it caused you to get hit. If he is running then you have won. If you give chase it makes you the aggressor in the eyes of the law. Leaving your training behind is common so I cant hold that against you and I am glad you did not sustain further injury.
    The technique that defeats you is anything except what you have trained for.

For everyones info the kids are between 11 and 3 years old.

Am I such a terrible father because some **** came to my house wanting a fight and I went out to defend myself? In my opinion if there was ever a reason to fight that was it! I'm not a trouble maker but if it comes to my front door I will get stuck in and deal with it not hide inside while someone is beating my door down.

There was no danger of the kids getting hurt, albeit this guy was a wanker he was not a child murderer, and even if he had been he would not have got close enough to cause any harm unless he killed me first.

My children are obviously my first priority over and above anything so please, everyone get off your high horses and put yourselves in my position!

In your position I would have called the police as soon as I took the phone call, rather than risk my children being traumatized or injured. What would've been the outcome for them?

How good do you look in the eyes of your kids chasing a guy down the street with a tire iron? How would it have affected them if you'd killed the guy and went to prison? What if you'd been killed or seriously hurt?

I think you've gotta rethink this entire altercation from the perspective of a responsible parent, because you sound more like a thug than I think you realize.
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 04-05-2003 at 04:26 PM.
    Bodhi Richards

I had to read the original post again... and laugh again... now that the discussion is moving towards the ecology and environment of the fight.

If you can please keep all judgement in check until the end of the post then read on.

Before posting about what a thug behavior or irresponsible Scythe was(there are legal ramifications, plus the wellfare and example to his kids)...

...or how right he is to defend his home personally (isn't that why we study combat technologies and martial arts? Because the responsability of our safety is in OUR hands?)...

Notice if you've had similar situations... associate into them, relive them... specially the emotional content... the indignation, fear and rage.

Now imagine being in Scythe's situation...

If you have any Warrior mentality at all, you would defend your home and loved ones at all costs.

I would've had a stick, a bat, several knives and a gun nearby...

a deterrent show of power... as to civilize the situation. If he kept coming, a warning that the force might be used and an suggestion to talking. If he kept going after this...

"The knowlede of Combat and the livelihood of non Combat are the keys to Peace."

The police can do nothing UNLESS he already messed something up. Law enforcement is not the same as Crime Prevention. Or even Life Preservation.

About responsible parenting... this post doesn't go into such detail as to suggest anything in that direction, thus I don't touch it.

Yet it is implied that this doesn't happen everyday.

On a side note... if my kid says stories at school how his Dad chased down a guy that ran like a little girl... that would be really cool!
    Achieve and Enjoyand Evolve!

Juan Mercado

Thank you for the support evolving power.

In response to the all knowledgable Samurai Jack: for your information, to cover my ass should anything go off I had called the police straight after the phone call.

The police do not exactly rush out to your assistance unless something is actually happening. They must have thousands of calls every day about threatening phone calls alot of which probably come to nothing, you can't expect them to come rushing to the side of every person who reports one of them.

Hence they did not arrive until two or three calls later from neighbours telling them what was going on.

To assume that I am a thug simply because once involved in a situation like that I will continue to fight by whatever means until one party can no longer continue is a generalization that you cannot make without knowing me personally.

If your reasoning is that one should under no circumstances ever fight then why on earth do you study 'Martial' arts.

If someone coming to your house to attack you is not a reason to fight then I don't know what is!

Look, I'm actually assuming that you're not the kind of guy who runs around looking for trouble, or I wouldn't even bother to post a reply to your thread.

I was simply concerned by your lack of mentioning much consideration for your kids in this affair. Sure, I'm all for defending your home, your family, and yourself, but the instant you start chasing a guy down the street, you lose all legal and moral credibility. I suspect you already know that.

Also, the fact thet you walked out your front door and waited for the guy is another mistake I believe. It shows premeditation on your part, and therefore sets you up for more legal problems.

You also don't have any witnesses to the initial stages of the confrontation. All your man had to say was that he came over to talk to you about rent, the two of you started to argue, you attacked him, and he tried to run away. All your witnesses saw according to your account was two guys fighting, then one trying to run away while the other went for a tire iron. Frankly, it's amazing to me that you weren't taken to jail yourself.

Finally, what effect did it have on your kids to see all this going down. Do you think it was good for them to see dad's face covered in blood and his nose broken? Was it good for them to sit waiting for you in the house, listening to shouting, cursing, and god knows what outside?

This situation was not well thought out, and isn't anything to brag about. That's all I'm saying.
    Bodhi Richards

sj .... if a guy just punched you in the nose and ran away you don't think you'd go after him at least a little ways? maybe its not the smartest legal thing to do, but you can't blame a guy for being pi ssed after sh it's already hit the fan. i might be wrong, but i didn't get the impression that he chased the guy all the way down the block either. more like from the house to the sidewalk.

"Also, the fact thet you walked out your front door and waited for the guy is another mistake I believe. It shows premeditation on your part, and therefore sets you up for more legal problems."

i disagree. someone said they were coming over, he knew there was likely gonna be trouble, and he didnt want to give the guy even the slightest chance of making it in his house.

"Finally, what effect did it have on your kids to see all this going down. Do you think it was good for them to see dad's face covered in blood and his nose broken? Was it good for them to sit waiting for you in the house, listening to shouting, cursing, and god knows what outside?"

i'm sure it wasn't emotionally scarring. i think our society is getting really pussified regarding "emotional scarring." i mean if it were an everyday thing, sure it would effect how the kid turned out, but seeing dad get in a fight is not going to turn them on to violence and crack.

i agree with what you said about the neighbors stories matching a possible fabrication though.

Scythe ...... i aint high or on a horse. though i may just have to fix one of those before the night is out. i just worry about kids. having an 11 year old watch out for the others is much different than leaving 4 infants in the house alone.
    where's my beer?

Re: Lets not f**k about

Originally posted by Scythe
    A landlord I was doing some work for blamed me because a tenant did not pay his rent.
    What ate the exact relationships to said landlord and his tenant?

You did some work for "A landlord" and he blames you for one of his tenants not paying the rent.

He phoned me in a rage and said he was coming round to get his money. I was in babysitting my 4 kids. So shut the door and went outside and waited for him at the end of my driveway.
    This is the time when you notify the cops of a possible attack on you and put a tape-recorder/Video Camera handy to record everything that is said.

Getting a few witnesses is also a good thing.

Besides that the scenario you gave doesn't make sense, I think that the situation was handled very poorly.

Just my thoughts.
    Witty signature under construction.