Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sword fighting

Amen. Reaction time too.

The economy of motion in fencing is pretty amazing as well, I have to say.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Is it just me ?

or has no body talked about the sword fighting skills of CMA ?

Nope. I thought about that myself. But since I don't have any experience with CMA fencing...
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

I would love to learn some chinese jian skills, but folks instructing it in a practical manner seems pretty... rare indeed!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I don't expect to get into any real sword fights anytime soon!
    yea, but we could still dream about it....is that a jimmy buffet song I hear in the background (son of a sailor).

this is a sucky age to be alive in...too late to be a pirate and we're not in space yet !!!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by Oso

too late to be a pirate

Go to Indonesia.

Smile R5A

The ARMA is one dam ned good & serious organization. If you want, try to get on the western martial arts e group on yahoo- its very good, serious stuff. They also cover portuguese stick-fighting on occasion.

If you take the time to look at george silver's book [its elizabethan- online at arma] you'll see loads of wing chun-ish stuff. also, take a look at the articles on wrestling, leg use within fencing, at the same site. Destreza, if you can find it, teaches a lot on footwork.. it approachs ba gua, in its way. Fencing improves your touch reflexes, infighting game, stepping, etc.

SCA is geek squad, very true! They just role-play, the chinese silk outfit crowd.
    Last edited by ZIM; 04-03-2003 at 12:28 PM.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Yeah ... "the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder"

Just for grins, I have always wanted to square off against a sport fencer and as we salute give them the line "My name is Diego Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

or ....

Go to one of those SCA matches and yell "There can be ONLY ONE!"

Dave.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I'm glad I'm not the only one...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

If you do WC, my recommendation is to look for chinese swordmanship first. The reason is that there are number of aspect of weapon works which relate to your kung fu.

For example, practicing Dao (Chinese Broad Sword) will teach you how to rotate your hip. Practicing spear will teach you fajing and Jian (long sword) will teach you how to use footwork.

As of footworks, i think fencing is closer to jian bit too linear compared to say kendo.

But as of anything, if you enjoy it, go for it.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

Vapour, which teachers instructs in these weapons? Forms doesnt count..

Zhang Hongchoa in Chicago teaches weapons sparring, and his sword word, both broad sword and straight is very cool. I learn from his senior student out here. None of this helps Red5.

If you decide to go the fencing route, Aldo Nadi's book On Fencing is superb, and includes an account of his one duel before duels were outlawed.

BTW, Nadi was an olympic fencer and a prodigy. Pictures of him in competition look like form, his postures are so perfect and he was so good at moving into them in the pressure of the moment.

Originally posted by Dave Fulton
    Yeah ... "the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder"

Just for grins, I have always wanted to square off against a sport fencer and as we salute give them the line "My name is Diego Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Dave.
    I have done this.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Thanks, Kinjit, that's the article. The whole book is very good. There's a fencer working in the same building as me, and I got him talking fencing one day, and I told him about Nadi. He's been really thanking me ever since, so I guess the technical stuff in there must be pretty good.

I'm mostly versed in the chinese methods, not so knowledgeable on the western ones, especially the more revived old stuff you're seeing around, as opposed to more sportive stuff. The guy I learn from practices with a guy who uses sword and shield a la romans or some such thing, I haven't gone at it with him yet.

All I know is I love that moment when you're going at it with another decent swordsman, and you've both decided to go for the other's sword. It always seems like such a skill game at that point. Of course, it's all a skill game, but that close, skill or lack of it has some pretty immediate consequences.