Thread: a whole lot of new shaolin books

ngokfei Guest

a whole lot of new shaolin books

Just got an e-mail from a friend of mine who saw alot of new shaolin manuals at the Chinese book store in NYC.

The also have the old shaolin 4 volume book for 45 per volume. alot better then the 300 it used to go for.

I guess alot of the various monks are now putting out there own book series as he has 6 different series listed.

they also have a redone 72 shaolin arts and 37 gong book which he sent me. The drawings are really great as they are of the same quality you would find in alot of the Chinese novels.

Those in california should check out the east west/wind? book store as they get alot of their books from NY (that's what I heard).

eric Hargrove
    ngokfei@juno.com

GeneChing Guest

Hi Eric

There was a shaolin book series put out are year or so ago. It was maybe a dozen plus skinny books, each with a form shot in grainiy b&W photos, with a blue and yellow spine. Is that the one of the new series?
    Also the Shaolin Encyclopedia by Deqian was cut up into a lot of smaller paperbacks. But that happened some time ago.
    I would be very interested in the new titles, especially the new 72 - can you email me the publisher info privately?

If memory serves, there are 3 "east" bookstores. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to do a book crawl in a long, long time. East West in the south bay, a new age bookstore connected to Ananda church, with a fine MA section. Eastwind in SF Chinatown, which has an extensive Chinese language store below and an English language tucked away above. And finally Eastwind in Berkeley which was originally a branch of SF, but is now independent. I haven't been by their store in a long time, but I tabled next to them at the International Qigong conference last year. I doubt any of these stores gets their stuff from NY. SF's port is closer to Asia, so it's probably the other way around. But then, it's all about your Chinese connection, right?

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com