Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seeking music for Tai Chi class

seeking music for Tai Chi class

Do you have some recommendations of CDs that would be good Tai Chi Chuan music ? I think music helps relaxation and flow in form practice. Traditional style prefered. OR how about good Japanese music for Aikido class ?

Music while working out doing CV, bodyweight stuff, weights, etc. is cool, but I reckon that music while practising your kung fu is a big no-no.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

greendragon.

It depends at my last kwoon they played music fairly quiet in the background, you could hardly hear it when concentrating on the Form.
    Anything from classical chinese to Kitaro, etc.

At my current kwoon the yang 24 class uses Music to time the form, maybe twice a class.
    Some say Music is good for beginning students within limits.

In Chen TJQ we don't use any music at all.

Here is a link to some music tapes for Qi-gong and TJQ:

Link

Cheers.
    Witty signature under construction.

I agree with Serpent.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

My school usually plays rammstein during tai chi.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

LOL. Makes me think of that tai chi championship video clip. Remember that?!

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Originally posted by Serpent
    LOL. Makes me think of that tai chi championship video clip. Remember that?!

Yup.

Would Metallica, Sepultra, Iron Maiden etc. be any good for Tai Chi classes?

I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Cannibal Corpse for guided meditation?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    you beat me to the hard core ref.

but, seriously, if you can't concentrate on what you are doing while some music (especially some sort of 'tai chi' approved mush) is playing then I would have to say that you aren't really getting it. what's some music as compared to a fist or two raining down on your head??

I play music all the time if I am working out solo. sometimes hard stuff, I've got some Radiohead I like to listen to and do forms.
    And, Helmet's "meantime" is pretty tasty when I do tai chi.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Oso - As far as I'm concerned, it's about the difference between training taiji forms (which are at least in part meditation) and sparring (which is a simulation of a fighting experience.)

During meditation you want to eliminate as many distractions as possible. During a fight you aren't concerned with such luxuries.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Thanks for the link LaughingCow. It helps beginners to be more fluid in form practice and creates good energy, besides they need some soundtrack for their future "temple flashbacks". I was not wanting to do death rock push hands or anything.

Oso - As far as I'm concerned, it's about the difference between training taiji forms (which are at least in part meditation) and sparring (which is a simulation of a fighting experience.)

During meditation you want to eliminate as many distractions as possible. During a fight you aren't concerned with such luxuries.
    CSN, no real argument from me about your points. For me, meditation, and I use tai chi and chi kung as meditations, becomes my 'trick' for surviving during the day at work. I feel that if I can meditate through distractions then I truly am succesful at centering myself. I have also trained to what I referred to as 'tai chi approved mush' as well. My favorite was Ray Lynch's 'Deep Breakfast'. 'Celestial Soda Pop' really did something for me. But, I also really dig doing tai chi to Helmet.

The good thing about this whole cma thing we do is that it can work different ways for different people.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

The use of music is quite common in virtually allmeditative endeavors.

Monks use cymbals, the percussion gourds, chanting, etc... and I mean all kinds of monks INCLUCING Shaolin.

The idea is that you start with the 10,000 thoughts. you replace the 10,000 thoughts with a single thought. That can be a mantra, the words Quiet and Calm , Om, music, chanting, etc...

Then, when you have replaced them all with but one thought, you discard that thought until you are at a state of no thought.

This can apply to Qi Gong, Taijiquan, Bagua, etc...

Exernal training is trickier. Music is OK but it is for setting cadence and timing of training. It also can keep the spirit up. Many of the older schools did NOT use it...but that was more a matter of availability. After all, how would a Wong Fei Hung have music in his class ? Hire a band? There were no real radio stations and such and they were very new.

Performances to music are standard fare.

So...it is NOT forbidden and has its uses. But, you don't need to do it...and if the music becomes the thing instead of the task f practice, then the music should go.

how bout strippers? can I have a stripper performing while I do chi kung???

LOL Oso! It might cause you to lose your jing

You could use a lap dancer to check that your stance is low enough