Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin belts?

inpho Guest

Shaolin belts?

I was wondering if Shaolin used any type of belt system. In movies and books I've seen Shaolin students wearing different colour uniforms and belts, I assumed they didn't use belts so perhaps these colours indicate secular deciples or something?

Furious Tiger Guest

Shao Lin Belts

I am new to both Kung Fu and this forum, though I have posted before. I do not think that there si a system in place in Shao lIn Kung Fu or Kung Fu in General. This seemd to be and american need to have one self evaluate and conciously see their own progression in the system. Again I am new to Kung Fu and could be totally off base. I believe traditionaly the Sifu monotors the progress of each of his students and then determins whether or not the student is ready to move on to the next level. ;)

Furious Tiger

Shaolindynasty Guest

No belts, thank God

I think in the temple the orange robes are for people who are full monks and grey is for secular disciples. I also think this isn't strongly inforced either. I guess color now can be a matter of preference.

Witness the Dynasty!!!
    New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

inpho Guest
    But the pictures of teh secular desciples show them wearing both, only their belts remain the same colour. Also I'm 99% certain the US Shaolin schools use belts.

Chi Hu Guest

Shaolin Belts

I believe traditionally belts were not used in Shaolin kung fu, for time in the art is much more important than so called rank.

"Betray the art, and it will betray you"
    Grand master Simon

Sil Lum Palm Guest
    Shao Lin schools in the USA use sashs mostly for competition purposes such as forms and such. Sash's are a form of international ranking and it is agreed that this is an American thing, but that doesnt mean that it should be looked down on, it just means that it is different than the "old way". Sash's give the modern practitioner a way to measure thier growth in the arts.

LeiWulong Guest

Shao'lin Monks did have belts!

Once Kung-Fu was introduced Sashes and different colored uniforms were used to distiguished initiates from disiples, and disiples from masters. Also they were used to differentiate between styles, and to instil a sense of respect and humility in students.

Check out www.shaolin.com for more info

Rory Guest
    belts were used to keep your organs in place so when you twisted fast it wouldnt hurt them

SnowTiger Guest

Belts

Does it matter if you dont wear a belt or go to graduations in shaolin kung fu?Belts(or ranks) are good if you have to prove something to yourself,but I would just like to practice without one.My friends tell me that I´m just a coward butt I train much harder than them,they want belts so that they can just brag about it! :mad:

Kung Lek Guest
    wear your belt for lower back support and awareness of your centre (Dan Tien).

If your teacher has a belt system wear it.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links

Ish Guest
    My teacher has a belt system but you have to pay for the gradings and i'm not interested in wearing a coloured sash so i don't bother.

Colin Guest

Belts & sashes......

Kung Lek said:
    Wear your belt for lower back support and awareness of your centre (Dan Tien) If your teacher has a belt system wear it.

I totally agree!
    Here in the west it has to be accepted that we like to see our progression within any activity.
    Many styles now incorporate a grading system to enable students to assess their progress.
    the thing to remember is that as each style has it's own ranking system the grade you hold is only relevent to your particular style.
    I do not honestly believe that TCMA would be as popular in the west if their were no grading systems!
    I know that this is a controversial issue, but realistically i think that complete beginners can and have been put off CMA's because they have no way of comparing the class or the instructor to other martial arts.
    It is also usefull for instructors to enable them to teach the appropriate techniques to each student.
    Also when we are practicing certain Chi Gung excerises we tighten our sashes ( very tight ) to enable us to focus Chi to our Dan Tien.

So don't feel that by wearing a coloured sash you are not upholding the traditions of your style.

Colin.................

GeneChing Guest

I got your belts right here...

Welcome to Gene's Shaolin Black Belt certification program.

Get your Black Belts here

;)

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

Colin Guest
    We are funny aren't we!
    Twat!!!!!!!!!

TatewakiKuno Guest
    Its true that in todays day and age most people want belts because they think they are tough shiznet by saying I have a black belt. Well I got a news flash for ya folks there are a hell of alot of people out there who are terrible. Belts don't mean anything, its a piece of clothing. If you want to find out how good you are, see how long you can hold your horse stance, or see how many forms you can do and how good you can do them, and if it even comes down to it go spar some people.

Traditionally there were no black belts, belts became that color because of a persons extensive training. You wear your belt all the time as you train and eventually through all the dust, dirt, blood, and so on it became darker.

I'm in no way trying to be offensive to people with belts its just there are alot of fake schools out there who just hand out belts for money. So be careful.