Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bodhidharma

Bodhidharma Retold - A journey from Sailam to Shaolin

Bodhidharma had roots in Andhra: Prof
    By Express News Service | Published: 13th October 2017 01:56 AM |
    Last Updated: 13th October 2017 08:18 AM

VIJAYAWADA: Bodhidharma, the founder of Chan (Zen) in China has deep roots in Andhra Pradesh and belongs to early Pallava dynasty from Srisailam region, claimed Professor T Raghu, author of ‘Bodhidharma Retold - A journey from Sailam to Shaolin’.Released by Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu, the author, in his book, made a path breaking revelation stating that the title Shaolin temple is derived from the geographical location Srisailam. Sailum, over the years of alternative pronunciation, became Shaolin.

Speaking to mediapersons here on Thursday, Raghu said that Kung Fu, the mother of martial arts has its origin in Andhra Pradesh. He said that in the present volume, he explained the Chinese version of Bodhidharma’s history and in the second volume, to be released in three months, he will narrate the Indian version of Bodhidharma’s life in Andhra Pradesh.

He said Yakshas were one of the tribes in the land around Srisailam region. Interestingly these Yakshas (Jakkus or Chenchus of today) also find place in Shaolin temple where the staff is named after them and Yakshas are worshipped.The author said that a Zen park monastery should be developed in Srisailam region to protect and highlight roots of Bodhidharma.
    Sailum - interesting theory. Most believe the name Shaolin predates Bodhidharma. And the whole Bodhidharma/Kung Fu creation tale is generally accepted as apocryphal now, even at Shaolin.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Damo

Jack Ma (Alibaba) & Bodhidharma

BODHIDHARMA
    Alibaba’s $15 billion global R&D push is named after a legendary Indian monk from centuries ago

Jack Ma, Chairman of Alibaba Group, speaks during the Computing Conference in Yunqi Town of Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, China October 11, 2017.
    Think like a Zen master. (Reuters/Stringer)

WRITTEN BY
    Zheping Huang
    8 hours ago

Earlier this week, China’s e-commerce giant Alibaba announced that the company will invest $15 billion in R&D projects in the next five years and open seven tech labs across the globe—an initiative it’s calling DAMO Academy.
    DAMO is a mouthful that stands for “Discovery, Adventure, Momentum, and Outlook,” and highlights Alibaba’s ambition to turn itself into a global tech giant in the same league as the likes of Google and Microsoft. The Chinese name of the R&D push, however, tells something about founder Jack Ma’s obsession with martial arts.

[IMG]https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/bodhidharmayo****oshi1887.jpg[/IMG]
    A portrait of Bodhidharma by Japanese artist Tsukioka Yo****oshi. (Public domain)

DAMO is written 达摩 in Chinese. That’s the Chinese name of Dharma, or Bodhidharma, a prince-turned-Buddhist monk from India, who is traditionally credited as the transmitter of Zen Buddhism to China in the 5th century. Zen Buddhism is then said to have inspired the martial arts practiced by the monks in China’s famous Shaolin monastery.
    Unveiling the DAMO program in a speech (link in Chinese) to an audience of thousands in Hangzhou, Alibaba’s hometown, Jack Ma said he came up with the name just two weeks ago in a call with the company’s head of human resources. He said DAMO might sound a bit weird—but so is Google and Intel. “The more you read it… the more you’ll like it,” he said.
    Ma is a known fan of Chinese martial arts. The 52-year-old earlier this year started giving tai chi classes to fellow entrepreneurs for $15,000 for six sessions. For years, he was also a loyal client of self-proclaimed qigong master Wang Lin—until the latter was charged with murder and later died in custody this February.
    At Alibaba, every employee has a nickname for use within the company. And at least at high management levels, these names all come from martial arts fiction. Ma himself is nicknamed Feng Qing Yang, which roughly translate as “the wind blows briskly and lightly.” CEO Daniel Zhang is nicknamed Xiao Yao Zi, which means “free and unfettered man.” Both Feng Qing Yang and Xiao Yao Zi are formidable swordsmen from martial arts novels by Jin Yong.
    Dharma also appears in the Jin Yong universe as a legendary figure who created secret kung fu techniques.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bodhidharma myth retold

Posted On Apr 22, 2018
    How The Son Of An Indian King Cheated Death, Found Shaolin Kung Fu And Became Bodhidharma
    Surabhi Verma
    MensXP Staff Writer

A British professor of philosophy once observed that if Buddha is the vital linkage of continuity from Rig Veda down to recent centuries of Indian culture, then Bodhidharma was the vital linkage of the continuity connecting India with China, Korea, and Japan.

Bodhidharma's existence can be traced back to around 5th century. Known to be the founder of Chan Buddhism in China, he mostly devoted his life to transmit its culture and follow its practices. Not only did he travel to China, but also to various parts of Asia to spread this form of Buddhism. As per various folklores and legends, he was the monk who began the intensive physical training at Shaolin Monastery that gave birth to Shaolin Kungfu or Shaolin Wushu. Some believe that Bodhidharma came from the West; there are many accounts and tales of his existence and life, though mostly layered and not absolute.

Becoming A Monk

© Pinterest

When Batuo or Buddhabhadra was laying the foundation of the first Shaolin Monastery, there was a prince in the southern part of India. His name was Bodhidharma and it is believed that he was the favorite son of the king, amongst the three brothers. Bodhidharma had a sharp mind and his brothers used to be very jealous of him. They even tried to assassinate him so as to become the next heir of the kingdom; however, they were unsuccessful as Bodhidharma remained untouched. Bodhidharma, in reality, was least interested in ruling the kingdom or in politics, he had decided to become a Buddhist monk.

Gaining Popularity In China

During 527 AD, Bodhidharma arrived in China and began practicing meditation there. At times his silence left his audience stunned and astonished. People began to observe him every day and started calling him Da Mo. He was later called by the Chinese emperor Wu where he imparted his knowledge to the king. His teachings made him popular and the king even erected many Buddhist temples in his kingdom. Soon Da Mo was famous in China and people regarded him as the great monk.

Nine Years Of Wall Gazing

© YouTube

As Da Mo reached the Shaolin Temple by crossing the Yangzi River in China, he went to a cave mountain, sat facing towards a wall and started meditating. At the time of his meditation, another monk named Shen Guang (who met Da Mo on the way and followed him across the river, after getting inspired from his wisdom) stayed outside Da Mo's cave and protected him from any dangers. Da Mo's meditation and wall gazing continued for nine long years. Time-to-time Shen Guang asked Da Mo to teach and impart him some knowledge; however, never received any answer from him. Legend has it that one day Da Mo's concentration became so intense that his own image got craved on the wall he was gazing at. Da Mo later shifted to the special room created by Shaolin Monks and meditated there for another four years. All these years, Shen Guang was protecting Da Mo until the day he broke his master's concentration.

Shen Guang (Hui Ke) Cuts His Arm

© Pinterest

As Da Mo turned down each request made by Shen Guang, one day Shen decided to break Mo's concentration while he was meditating. He took a ball of snow and hurled it in Da Mo's room. As Mo woke up from his meditation he confronted Guang and told him that he would teach him when red snow would fall from the sky. Affected by the same, Shen cut off his arm and his dripping blood turned into snow due to freezing temperature. He gave it to Mo, after which Mo decided to teach him. He later taught him the meaning of life by carving four different wells on a mountain, which resonated with four different aspects of life. Shen Guang later became the successor of Da Mo after his death, and carried his teaching throughout the world.

Teaching At Shaolin

© Pinterest

At Shaolin, the monks had poor physical shape and structure which disturbed Bodhidharma (Da Mo). Therefore, he instructed them techniques to maintain their physical condition and taught them meditation. The series of exercises are now known as the Eighteen Arhat Hands. As he took his departure from Shaolin, two manuscripts were discovered - The Yijin Jing and the Xisui Jing. He later traveled to parts of Malaysia, Indonesia, walked through Java, Bali, and Sumatra and transmitted Chan Buddhism.

Death And Mysterious Appearance
    Bodhidharma died without a proper ceremony. His body was later buried on a hill behind the Shaolin temple. Three years after his death, Ambassador Sòngyún of northern Wei mentioned about having seen Bodhidharma walking with a shoe in his hand. As per the tales, on having met Bodhidharma, Sòngyún asked him the reason behind carrying a shoe in his hand to which he replied 'I am going home. Do not reveal this to anyone or you will meet with a disaster'. When Sòngyún told the emperor about it, he explained that Bodhidharma had died three years back and punished him for telling a lie.

Bodhidharma's grave was later exhumed and only a shoe was found inside! In the modern era, Bodhidharma has remained a subject of scientific research and is considered the founder of Chan Buddhism. Till date, to pay their respect to the founder of Shaolin Kungfu, the Shaolin Monks greet everyone using their right hand!
    I like the Huike pic.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

another Indian account

Cranky Indian prince? Really?

The cranky Indian prince who invented kung fu
    OCTOBER 4, 2018

Kung fu (Source: Wikimedia Commons)

We in India have no record of this prince, but Chinese chronicles of the Shaolin temple tell us this legend.

By Archana Garodia Gupta and Shruti Garodia

In the 5th (or 6th) century AD, a prince lived in South India (perhaps a Pallava?). His brothers conspired against him and took away his throne. This prince then gave up royal life and became a Buddhist monk called Bodhidharma. He went to live with his guru for many years, who commanded him to go north and spread the word of Buddhism. When his teacher died, Bodhidharma dutifully set off, walking right up to China. The legend goes that his nephew, now the king, thoughtfully sent ahead carrier pigeons, asking the people of China to take care of him.

When Bodhidharma finally arrived in China, the people, who had been notified by the pigeons, flocked to hear him. Emperor Wu, who ruled over the southern bit of China, invited Bodhidharma to come to his palace and asked him, “I have built many temples and monasteries, and copied many religious books. What is my (divine) merit?” Cranky as ever, Bodhidharma answered “None whatsoever!”

Bodhidharma then headed off in the direction of the newly established Shaolin Temple. A Chinese general called Sheng, who had won many battles and killed many enemies, started following Bodhidharma around, asking the monk to accept him as his pupil, but was ignored.

Bodhidharma (Source: Wikimedia Commons)

When they came upon the mighty Yangtse River, Bodhidharma threw a reed in the water, stepped upon it and calmly crossed the river. General Sheng, trying to copy him, threw a bunch of reeds, stepped on them, and sank immediately. Only with great difficulty did he manage to save his own life.

When they reached Shaolin, instead of entering the temple, Bodhidharma went and meditated in a cave-for nine long years! General Sheng sat patiently outside, guarding the monk, and every once in a while, asking to be accepted as his pupil. Bodhidharma never replied. Eventually, the radiance of Bodhidharma’s meditation became so intense that his image was engraved forever on the cave wall.

[IMG]https://images.indianexpress.com/2018/10/bodhidharma_yo****oshi-1.jpg[/IMG]
    Source: Wikimedia Commons

Bodhidharma finally agreed to come to stay at the Shaolin temple. When General Sheng continued to pester the great monk to accept him as a disciple, after a few years, he said, “Only when we have red snow”. General Sheng, in a brave (and really gruesome!) act, cut off his own left arm, and swung it in the air. The blood flew out, froze and fell as red snow. Bodhidharma finally had to accept General Sheng as a disciple.

Shaolin monks are now famous for their one-handed greeting with the right hand, popularised by the one-armed General Sheng!

Kalaripayattu (Source: WIkimedia Commons)

At the Shaolin monastery, Bodhidharma saw that the monks were weak from meditation and fasting. He taught them the martial arts he had learned as a young prince…similar to Kalaripayattu! This gave birth to the famous kung-fu warrior monks of Shaolin!

Bodhidharma started the Dhyan School of Buddhism, which came to be known as Chan in China…and Zen in Japan! Bodhidharma is better known as Damo in China and Daruma in Japan. In fact, the famous papier-mache Daruma doll of Japan (it is considered a good luck charm), is based on Bodhidharma, with its curly beard and large eyes. At the beginning of every New Year, Japanese people burn their old dolls and get new ones. A famous temple in Japan even has a Daruma festival every March, attended by nearly half a million people!

Daruma doll (Source: Wikimedia Commons)

(For more fun journeys through India’s history, check out the newly released two-volume set, The History of India for Children Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, published by Hachette India, which is now available online and in bookstores across the country.)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Last meme for this issue

THREADS
    Shi Decheng
    Shaolin Special 2019 (SPRING) on Shaolin sub-forum.
    Shaolin Special 2019 (SPRING) on Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine & KungFuMagazine.com sub-forum
    Luohan Quan
    Bodhidharma
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Smile

wow, just found this thread. I have a lot to offer in terms of research on the topic of Damo, and tho Im loyal to Shaolin, entirely, I respect this platform, so I'll leave my opinion out and got gather my sources, it's been a while. most information I encountered on Bodhidharma came from my Buddhist study, and research in Chinese/Ku****e/Indian/Dravidian history initially. Then through Shaolin, I was able to draw my own opinion of Damo's origin and purpose, both having much greater significance in world history than suggested.
    ......and my opinion included (which favors Damo & Shaolin), and the credit given for birthing Kung Fu & Zen, if I throw these factors out,..... Damo, historically, still, is one of, if not the MOST spiritually/humanly influential, and greatest blessing to this planet. THATS ONE FACT WE CAN AGREE ON. (ALSO; That we know existed, and can draw daily use and application from his life and teachings/offerings, that remain mentally, emotionally, and physically relevant and beneficial to this day.)

that said, I'll get my sources and references in order and write my paragraph of insightful history to share and add on to the rest of this post.

Amituofu

to take up the study at this point, becomes a path of two roads, each of which having several roads spawning from them.
    the first, Buddhist scholarship. Most of us are familiar with the philosophy, and or principles when it comes to Buddhism, not so many on the history, and schools, and following branches that led up to Ch'an.
    So theres one aspect of study thats going to open up, and becomes a long road. However this road is easy to navigate, is beautiful, and a continual blossoming.

Then there is the second road (block) I came to which is the most annoying when you really start digging, its just plain old world history.
    You'd be surprised how much you cant find out about the most important people in any religion, yet political history is usually intact. priorities people. sometime both are obscured , altered or lost in translation.
    So researching Damo, becomes an argument in some places, where his validity is called to question, one super figghter guy even argued me down saying Im looking for a kungfu hero, or fantasy , and theres no historical proof to any of Shaolin's claims about Damo, which we know is just frustrated talk of people who know no better, if they had answers they wouldnt be so angry. Most will encounter this argument. The next will be those who profess Damo, for their benefit, so when you get beyond that, where Damo, and Buddha begin to benfit others, they will block you from learning there. An example is how the hindu/brahmin takeover almost permanently ruined the history of Buddha, and the people of India prior to aryan rule, making it hard to find specifics about Guatama Buddhas origins and the Buddhas before him and where they came from, which seems like information we should have lol......anyhow.....people usually do that when they takeover any land, sheesh tho, its a pain. So now we have to put the puzzle back ourselves. I've been studying this for only 20 years, and I've already seen a familiar Buddha nearly EVERYWHERE. go figure.

Anyhow, more important is the teachings, I find peace in knowing what Damo was transmitting, and further more, what the Buddhas transmitted, has been preserved intact for us to still practice. Period. The truth spreads and the true culture of Ch'an from Shaolin is inseparable and still most influential. The accolades and recognition of "being the originator" loses it's luster in the true core of ANY spiritual path, most specifically, however, the Buddhist path. We cant play Arhat, especially with Shaolin Ch'an, you have to put it to practice, and once you do, it inevitably happens, the ego is removed.

Keeping that in mind, I have to acknowledge my/our thirst to understand , as men, to learn, to be students of the Universe in an honest, innocent, unconditional approach. From there, I will humble myself to say, the sutras are beloved, the affect of the Buddha, becoming a Buddha, words cant describe, and the experience is for all already.
    .. while as a scholar, I get into history, & would want to know who's who, who came from where, why statues have tantrically repetitive facial features of a specific gene pool, why the teachings follow the path of civilizations in a way that seems almost deliberate, as if the temples were built on purpose.....if these questions become more important, than actualizing your Buddhahood, then drop them. I could sit here and get into heated debates with all willing keyboard warriors who want to argue the origins of Ch'an and Gong Fu, which would lead us to Damo and his origin, its pointless in practice of Ch'an though, exactly pointless. .... we should all be training right now!!!!!

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    wow, just found this thread.
    Glad to see you digging in our archives here, Djuan. That's why we keep them. This forum has been going for over 2 decades now, so there's a lot of content. Enjoy your excavation and feel free to ttt topics that intrigue you, like you have here.

For me, Bodhidharma is more important for what he symbolizes. In general, with religion, it's more about the metaphor than the historical reality.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Indian?

I heard he was Persian. Not a prince. A Mahayana wanderer.
    Here nor there, what there is is what there is.
    All we do is add to it through our own practice.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Indian?

I heard he was Persian. Not a prince. A Mahayana wanderer.
    Here nor there, what there is is what there is.
    All we do is add to it through our own practice.
    agree,

we can speculate and hypothesize because the story is as such, or we can practice. I choose to practice. Better to empower and live the GongFu, to actualize Buddha, than to just learn the history in intellect. though Buddha said take nothing on face value, then we can apply that to Gong Fu, and meditation, Nirvana etc.....I dont take account of the power of Gong Fu, QiGong, Meditation, Nirvana , on face value, I must practice it to experience it, to know it.

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

China & India

Will DaMo help NaMo and Xi at Mahabalipuram?
    The Pallava prince from Kanchipuram renounced the throne, became a Buddhist monk, known as Bodhi Dharma in India and DaMo in China, almost like how prince Siddhartha became Buddha.
    Published: 11th October 2019 04:00 AM | Last Updated: 11th October 2019 04:29 PM

Prime Minister Narendra Modi shakes hands with Chinese President Xi Jinping during his visit in Wuhan China. | PTI
    By S Gurumurthy

It is strategic civilisational diplomacy at its symbolic best. Narendra Modi found that his second informal summit with Xi Jinping at Mahabalipuram in 2019 had been fixed 1,500 years ago by a prince of the Pallava dynasty, which ruled Mahabalipuram from Kanchipuram.

The Pallava prince from Kanchipuram renounced the throne, became a Buddhist monk, known as Bodhi Dharma in India and DaMo in China, almost like how prince Siddhartha became Buddha. His guru asked him to go to Zhen Dan — today’s China. Bodhi Dharma, who became India’s first spiritual ambassador to China, also emerged as its chief mentor. Regarded as Buddhaabdara (Buddha’s Avatar), he expounded Zen Buddhism and founded the famous Shaolin Temple in China’s Henan province. Revered as the first Patriarch of China, the rest of the Buddhist world listed him as the 28th in line from Buddha.

Modi is now reviving memories of Bodhi Dharma, to position him as the icon of India’s civilisational outreach to China, which is integral to his overarching strategic civilisational diplomacy. Bodhi Dharma’s foray was not limited to China. Popular as DaMo in China, as Dalma in Korea, Daruma in Japan, Dharmottara in Tibet, with his name echoing in Vietnam too, he ended up as India’s cultural ambassador to most of Asia.

Just as Modi began gradually changing the secular narrative of India into a civilisational narrative within after his historic victory in 2014, he extended it to foreign relations as well. In 2015, he began writing a strategic Hindu-Buddhist civilisational narrative to give thrust to India’s Look East philosophy.

The Mahabalipuram summit, which recalls the 5th century DaMo today, is an important chapter in Modi’s overarching civilisational narrative to handle the relationship with China that was seriously damaged in the late 1950s and early 1960s. So, the Namo-Xi summit should be seen in the backdrop of Modi’s national strategic narrative.

With the rise of radical Islamist terror, particularly the 9/11 attack, Samuel Huntington’s view that the world would become increasingly civilisation conscious, virtually binned the utopian Francis Fukuyama’s prognosis of a world free of conflicts founded on free market and liberal democracy. The politically diverse Western nations began to be seen more as civilisationally Christian, Japan as a civilisation state and China as a civilisation pretending to be a state. But secular India continued to remain orphaned without a civilisational name and a narrative of its own.

Post-Independence India did not attempt to reinstate the national narrative it had lost due to centuries of foreign domination even after it rediscovered it during the freedom movement. Instead, it enjoyed living on borrowed narratives like secularism and socialism. Lost in fake secularism that increasingly rested on vote-bank politics and in the failed socialism, which proved to be a global disaster, India ignored its spiritual and civilisational foundations that would have helped it develop its own national civilisational narrative. India’s distorted secularism undermined its civilisational assets. Result: India, which had become part of the universal notions of secularism and socialism, had nothing special to talk about itself.

In a seminal essay (to mark the 25th anniversary of Huntington’s clash theory) on civilisational exchanges between China and India titled “Civilisational Perspectives in International Relations and Contemporary China-India Relations”, Ravi Dutt Bajpai (Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia) asserts that India and China were both civilisation states but adds, “Although India’s ancient civilisational legacy originates from its Hindu-Buddhist religious beliefs, the constitutional secularism in the Indian polity makes it difficult for the state to flaunt a religious identity.”

Indian intellectualism was even blind to the historical fact that each materialist ideology that succeeded one another and dominated the world for the last couple of centuries increasingly had a shorter shelf life. Colonialism lasted for 200 years. Capitalism 100 years. Communism 50 years.And globalisation has been pronounced dead by its chief proponent The Economist magazine in just 25 years. Our nation of thousands of years of known history has seen these dominant thoughts sprouting, growing and, as Swami Vivekananda said, “vanishing like ripples on the face of waters, living a few hours of exultant and exuberant dominance”.

India’s fate as a civilisational orphan continued even after socialism proved to be a global fiasco and secularism turned fake at home. It continued to adopt the socialist narrative for half a century and later a globalist narrative for a quarter more.

In this period, India saw Confucian China re-emerging out of communist China that violently banished Confucius for half a century. India saw ex-communist China establishing over 1,200 Confucian centres and classrooms the world over to present itself as a Confucian civilisation. It saw communist Russia turning Orthodox Christian, socialist Poland turning Roman Catholic. Yet, it continued with its outdated and borrowed narrative that negated its own spiritual and civilisational foundation, which Mahatma Gandhi in his seminal thesis Hind Swaraj had emphasised as its unifying force. Till Modi came to power, India did not even think of making a draft national narrative for bilateral and multilateral relationship building.

National narrative —an imperative
    The world which became obsessed with globalism after the Cold War, recently began rediscovering the need for a national narrative. The idea of a national strategic narrative was felt in the US in 2009. In 2011, the US government and the Woodrow Wilson International Center jointly authored a paper on the national strategic doctrine in 2011. The paper said: “A narrative is a story. A national strategic narrative must be a story that all Americans can understand and identify within their own lives. America’s national story has always see-sawed between exceptionalism and universalism. We think that we are an exceptional nation, but a core part of that exceptionalism is a commitment to universal values — to the equality of all human beings not just within the borders of the United States, but around the world.”

Later, in 2017, came a paper titled “Stories about ourselves: How national narratives influence the diffusion of large-scale energy technologies” by Joint Global Change Research Institute, United States Maryland School of Public Policy, University of Maryland. The paper said, “A national narrative rationalises and is supported by the nation’s identity. The narrative gives citizens an awareness of their common values and characteristics as a nation; it also situates a nation among other nations as unique (at least in part). If successful, the national narrative (is) a source of pride domestically and respect from other nations…. Of course, no nation exhibits unanimity around a single story; instead, ‘we find a polyphony of voices, overlapping and crisscrossing; contradictory and ambiguous; opposing, affirming and negotiating their views of the nation.’”National narrative is no outdated concept. It is very much a contemporary need. Yet the Indian discourse did not attempt a national civilisational and strategic narrative for India, even though the Supreme Court had held as early as in 1995 — which it refused to
    review even as late as 2016 — that secular India is compatible in cultural terms with Hindu India.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Narendra Modi writes India’s national strategic narrative
    Modi’s tryst with Buddha started soon after he became the Prime Minister. He saw Buddha as the civilisational face of India and Buddhism as the most effective bridge to link the culturally Hindu India with the civilisationally Buddhist Asia. Modi has endeavoured to integrate Buddha with India’s Look East doctrine. He saw that Dharma in Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh, Jain traditions in India and Dhamma in diverse Buddhist traditions in Asia linked people of both traditions more intimately than any single or multiple state policy or pact. Cognate civilisations vault over state-erected walls to connect people with people. Modi saw the Hindu-Buddhist civilisational nexus as the most potent people-to-people link, which even the modern and ex-communist states like China could not ignore.

The Prime Minister’s strategic Hindu-Buddhist civilisational diplomacy started with his first visit to Japan in early 2015. Modi quickly roped in Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe into a joint Indo-Japan initiative of “Samvad” — Sanskrit word meaning “dialogue” — through strategic think tanks in Japan, Tokyo Foundation and Japanese Foundation, and the Vivekananda International Foundation in Delhi. And the first Samvad of Hindu-Buddhist nations on the theme of Conflict Avoidance and Environmental Consciousness took place in September 2015. In his video address to the Samvad, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said that the idea of Dharma, which was the foundation of Japan’s rule of law, was India’s gift to Japan — a declaration emotionally more powerful than any economic or political pact.

The Samvad
    The year 2015 ended with the Bodh Gaya Declaration to make it the global centre of enlightenment. The Samvad II was held in Myanmar in 2017 and Samvad III in Mongolia in September 2019. The Indian and Japanese prime ministers inaugurated each of the three Samvad meets by direct or video address.
    The impact of the Modi-Abe civilisational outreach of Samvad on the Buddhist world is phenomenal. The most leading global Buddhist website, the Buddhist Door Global (BDG), which had said in 2017 that “India’s efforts at Buddhist diplomacy are not easy to accomplish”, did a U-turn in 2019 to accept Samvad as “a burgeoning, informal alliance of Buddhist Asian democracies”, adding that “Modi and his allies have been responsible for a resurgence of Buddhist diplomacy unseen in modern Indian history”. The report concluded, “Words like conflict avoidance and environment consciousness (Samvad’s consistent conference themes) conjure a very specific mode of Buddhist action: one that always leads back to New Delhi’s very unique understanding of transnational Buddhist power.”Undoubtedly Modi has innovated a national civilisational and strategic narrative for India not just for relating to Asia but for relating to the world, by globalising and positioning Indian-Asian Buddha as the icon of his presentation at the UN recently, contrasting Buddha (enlightenment) with Yuddha (war).

As Namo invokes DaMo at Mahabalipuram
    Modi’s choice of distant Mahabalipuram for his informal meeting with Xi has an obvious, deep significance and even a deeper message. Can a China that has discarded communism and begun reinstating neo-Confucianism as its national narrative and an India that has discarded the failed socialism and fake secularism and begun re-writing the national narrative in civilisational terms find their common Hindu-Buddhist civilisational roots in Mahabalipuram? Will the spirit of DaMo help Namo and Xi accomplish that will be seen this weekend and in what unfolds thereafter. Namo’s strategy is to find positive answers to such and other questions is manifest in his choice of the venue — DaMo’s Mahabalipuram.

The civilisational link between the peoples of India and China has always been stronger than any government-to-government policy declarations. Modi’s attempt seems to be to awaken the unleveraged civilisational impulses to relate to China whose aggression in 1962 damaged India’s trust in its neighbour. How Modi handled the Doklam issue has obviously convinced the mighty neighbour that India is no more a pushover. Namo is invoking DaMo, the deeper spiritual chord between India and China, to restore mutual trust, which will be the foundation for a stable and trustworthy India-China relationship.

Postscript: Yet another Kanchi connection to China-India relations. The Sage of Kanchi (the Shankaracharya of Kanchi) who lived for 100 years told the writer of this article in the early 1990s that India should settle the border row with China, which the Sage saw as India’s cultural ally. The writer had mentioned this in 2003 to Atal Bihari Vajpayee when as India’s Prime Minister he was going to China. It was then that the NSA-level talks commenced with China for settlement of the border dispute. Whether recalling DaMo by Namo will fulfil the desire of the Kanchi saint remains to be seen.

S Gurumurthy
    The author is a commentator on political and economic affairs
    Random yet topical
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

📷 Namo Bodhidharma! Happy Dhyana Day! We are observing the annual month of meditation , “Ch'an/Zen Month”. Take some time to sit and meditate daily this month and ground your practice for the following months/years to come. Honoring.... Happy Birthday Damo!
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 4.15.40 PM.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  100.0 KB
    Shaolin Meditator

Damo Quotable

"To find a Buddha all you have to do is see your nature."

Name:  12079437_767330620061797_776089948026427084_n.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  28.3 KB
    Shaolin Meditator

Amituofo

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    "To find a Buddha all you have to do is see your nature."

Name:  12079437_767330620061797_776089948026427084_n.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  28.3 KB
    hoping all of you keep a flourishing and nourishing meditation practice in all that you do and experience!
    Amituofo!
    Shaolin Meditator