Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Qigong and Yoga

dave the dragon Guest

Qigong and Yoga

hello there new question from a new participant .are there differences between different types of yoga and chi gung as although chi gung is focused on energy and yoga is uniting mind and body dont the both items achieve the same objective in the end if there are difference (apart from the obvious that ones from china and the other india!)prana and chi are they not the same
    i lack knowledge in the details of the background and general philosophy although i use them both in my training
    all sensible viewws would be welcome

DragonStudios Guest

Essentially the same

Yes, Yoga and Qigong are essentially the same IMO. I've been practicing Hatha Yoga for over 8 years, and have experienced Qigong through my Taiji and Daoist study. I've found both to ultimately have the same goals and functions. Yoga, depending on what type you study, strengthens, developes, and nourishes the Body, Mind, and/or Spirit. Qigong, depending on what type you study, does the same thing. Advanced Yogis perform seeming miracles with their command over their bodies and prana. Qigong masters perform seeming miracles with their command over their bodies and chi.

Is Chi & Prana the same? Yes.

Without going outside, you may know the whole world.
    Without looking through the window, you may see the ways of heaven.
    The ****her you go, the less you know.

--Lao Tsu

o Guest

Yikes!

Please don't tell me prana and prajna are the same thing! Is prana just the Hindu yoga word for chi/internal energy? And is prajna just the Pali (or Sanskrit?) word for the knowledge acquired through meditation? Is pranna (notice the two n's)the same as prajna?

thething Guest
    Yes there is differences between qigong, yoga, meditation. Qigong more or less is supposed to develop certain stuff as to all the other things, where, yoga, mediatation more or less mostly harmonize the body's energy.

prana Guest

Prana and Qi

They are ultimately the same. The difference in trainings will allow a few certain differences along the way but the ultimate realisations are the same, englightenment.

Prana are also translated as "Transcendental Wisdom". This is because the realisation of Prana in Yoga must be accompanied with equanimity and pinpoint realisations and hence wisdom. Qi in chinese is basically "Air"

Breathe till there is no breath...

yoga as qigong?

Does yoga have the same or similar effects (aside from flexability) as qigong practice, since it involves specific breath work? What are the (empirically tested?) differences? What exactly is qigong really supposed to be doing anyway?

Well to the Yoga practicioners, Chi is called Prana. They don't necessarily focus as much on the meridians, focusing more on the Chakras which are nerve centers. The 7 Chakras have a correspondance to Qigong points in the body, such as the lower, middle, and upper Dan Tien. A lot of similarities, a few differences. One should help you with the other.
    -FJ

Yes Yoga and Chi Kung are similar. Yoga is better suited for you health. Speculation is that many of the Chi Kung exercises come from different forms of Yoga. Kudanlini is know for boosting energy, mental awareness, and in some cases unlocking the feral nature of man.
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

It has become my impression that chi kung is yoga practiced for hundreds of years with no instruction manual.

The effects are supposedly similar. There are some exercise that are called "Taoist Yoga" that fall in between what we know as qigong and Yoga. To me, they are more similar to yoga as far as the postures go, but many tend to focus a lot on breathing or sounds made, which really smacks of qigong. But I suppose it is all technically qigong, just different preferences.

Anyway, I prefer qigong over yoga. I get more out of qigong than I did out of asana when I practiced it.

Pranayama (The breathing excercises of yoga) and Qigong are the same thing. Excercises to regulate and channel prana (Qi) trough your body.
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

my sifu taught us the sun salutation. i never do it though. i feel i get more out of qigong as well. though i have done my breathing exercises hundreds of times vs 4 or 5 i have done the yoga.
    where's my beer?

I agree with all of you but would just like to add that not all qigong is practiced for health or for that matter self cultivation. There are many qigong practices that focus on medcical or scholar that have nothing to do with learning or excersiseing ones self.

These could not be considered or compared to yoga for they are practiced outside the mind set of the body thus not related to moving, stretching, cultivating, sitting meditation.

Also most qigong have roots in india since india is the original most all qigong practices or stlyes came from mother land india.
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

ED,
    What do you mean "scholar" qigong? Are you using that as another name for "medical" qigong? I was of the understanding that there are only 3 basic kinds of qigong; self-healing, martial, and medical.

Chi-Gung is a yoga. Yoga means to "yolk".

Does yoga have the same or similar effects (aside from flexability) as qigong practice, since it involves specific breath work?
    Yoga that deals with positions and stretches are usually classified as "hatha Yoga", though I do not know the exact translation of "hatha". Hatha yoga does involve breath work, it depends on the practitioner. Some may decide to only utilise the stretching and strength building part of it, others may decide to incorporate breathing into the technique.

They don't necessarily focus as much on the meridians, focusing more on the Chakras which are nerve centers.
    Hindu's place much epmphasis in the chakra's more so than the Buddhists do. But Buddhists also place lots of influence on the chakras, but more so with the central psychic nerve and the signs of dissolution.

The many yogas branch from the course body (flesh and bones) to to the Nirmanakaya (meridian body) the subtlest bodies Dharmakaya, usually associated with the central psychic nerve whereby life force is twisted (at the heart for humans).

Also most qigong have roots in india since india is the original most all qigong practices or stlyes came from mother land india.
    So true. Bodhidharma practised yoga. What he taught was yoga, Stilling the mind is yoga. When he brought the teachings to Shao Lin. He also taught simple steps of yoga, and methods of strengthening the body and mind.

? I was of the understanding that there are only 3 basic kinds of qigong; self-healing, martial, and medical.
    plus more - spirituality, enlightenment, extending life or attaining the rainbow body, helping the deceased, choosing rebirth, sorcery and black magic, surviving hardship such as starvation or extreme cold etc., so many more.

I hope this alleviates the differences between the word yoga and what you guys practise "Qi-Gong". It is saying "Chia" in Fujien and saying "swallow" in English, they are both similar just different names, in different places. To eat is to swallow, to swallow is not neccesirily to eat.

Here is another question, why do you guys call "GING", "jing" ? Because I think Jing is a Chinese word for Kundalini. Ging is a force released from tendons. Correct me if I am wrong ?

Another is the word Chi-Kung (I have noticed) has been confused with body mechanics, because of the word Ging....

Hopefully I havent created too much problems with this post.
    Last edited by prana; 02-19-2002 at 05:03 PM.
    Sorry for absense, lots happening.