Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Qigong and Yoga

On yoga and chi gung

In the "transmission of the lamp" of Buddhism to China from India
    among other things some postures(asanas), mudras and breath discipline
    were transmitted. As happens in cultural adaptation different versions developed- some good some not so good .Same in Indian yoga too... lots of health club yoga teachers have a superficial understanding of yoga--- specially the role of the breath and different kinds of breathing. Hatha is only one kind of yoga---there are several kinds. And even variations in teaching hatha. Hatha is the joining (yoke) of ha and tha two complementary forms of energy....sun-moon, yin/yang etc.Yoga pre dates Buddhism in india but
    the hindu Patnjali attempted to systematize yoga approx. in the second century BC. he did not "invent" it. Taoism and Buddhism sometimes have had a cooperative relationship and sometimes rivalry. But the breath principles are parallel. If you check good books including Yang Jwing-Mings on the subject in one final circulation around the stomach Buddhists and Taoists just differ on anti clock versus clockwise- the latter difference is not really
    significant. Yoga like chi gung can be heath specific and martial specific. Not all yoga is static- astanga yoga isnt.
    The chi in chi gong parallels prana. But chi as a word is used in many other contexts and should not be confused.
    Some good martial arts sytems have chi gung built into it.
    Like many good things- best to get an expert teacher.
    yuanfen/joy
    The breath discipline and the realted yoga

Smile

I believe Hatha Yoga translates to Body Disipline.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

WOW I would just like to say outstanding posts prana & yuanfen. Very knowledgeable my hat goes off to you both.

prana, jing ging, just a different way of spelling like taji tai chi, chi kung qigong ba gua, pakua same meaning but its hard to spell sounds.

Sam wiley,
    there are actually many different kinds of qigong i.e martial , medical , religous and scholar to put it simply...... it was developed by scholars for manintaing health. Their main focus was promoting an emotionally neutral mind and smooth chi cirrculation. They also focused on this cirrculation to lead the chi to the brain which they belived made them more intelligent. many excersises were created to aid in the nourishing of the brain and increasing its mass and function......
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Just wanted to point out YaunFen is right, Yoga means yoke not yolk. Prana you better learn to spell.

-FJ

Hmm

I can remember going to a friends Yoga class recently by invitation. I was very curious too, as to the relationship and possible similarities between what I would learn and Qi Gong. I have to say (and yes I do know that there are a variety of Yoga's out there) that I will probably never really be an advocatee as Yoga (or at least the style I practiced in the class) as it being a close cousin to Qi Gong. My experience was insightful but made me realise that it went against a number of Qi Gong principles, and made it impossible to circulate Qi through my meridians. The tension that was involved in the class alone made it impossible, and certain postures just plain and simply cut of the flow from a number of arm meridians. The main aspect I didn't like (obviously becasue I'm biased to wards Qi Gong) was the locking of the knee joints which because of the habit of unlocking them over the years made it feel quite strange and uncomfortable too. Some people came out afterwards saying they felt refreshed, me and a Kung fu pal of mine came out and felt unimpressed with it. I know that it was a) just one lesson; b) something new; c) something which wasn't what we have been training in for many years; etc. but I have to say that this specific style of Yoga did not make me feel in any way like the way I feel after doing Qi gong, in fact just the opposite. I came at afterwards with a headache and felt drained of energy to be honest. I quite clearly felt Qi blockage during some of the postures even when I was corrected by the instructor and re-aligned, in fact at one correction she said "there you go how does that feel now?", to which I honesty had to say "worse!".

This is all just one experience and will not try to insult Yoga, but it aims are probably the same as Qi Gong in many ways but I do not share the general idea on this thread that there are both so closely related, I feel there are some siginificant differences.

Repulsive Monkey

C'mon, man! That class you took was ****ty, obviously! You gonna diss KF based on the worst class you ever took??

-FJ

fajing . . . actually he specifically admitted he was forming his opinion on one class. it's just all he has to base his opinion on right now. he also said it could have been the class, the style, or him that made him feel that way.

i know im not playing with a full deck of cards most of the time, but i got these crazy ideas from statements like . . .

I do know that there are a variety of Yoga's out there

. .. or at least the style I practiced in the class

. .. obviously becasue I'm biased to wards Qi Gong

i know that it was a) just one lesson; b) something new; c) something which wasn't what we have been training in for many years

.. . this specific style of Yoga

This is all just one experience and will not try to insult Yoga, but it aims are probably the same as Qi Gong in many ways but I do not share the general idea on this thread that there are both so closely related, I feel there are some siginificant differences.

then again maybe fajing was being sarcastic and im just to stupid to catch it.
    where's my beer?

Wierd

Hmm, no I wasn't being sarcastic. I appear to be suffering from temporary blindness probably from sitting at a computer all day. Lately I haven't even had the patience to complete read through posts or threads, I type in spurts and I am putting my foot in my mouth lots these days. Chalk it up to stress or distraction. My mind feels like BWauhwauhwauhwauh like I'm a zombie or something. Actually our client hasn't been providing much work lately and everyone around here is acting like a zombie.

Sh1t

-FJ

Here's an attempt at an on-topic response: One major difference between Yoga and QiGong is that in yoga you don't touch your tongue to the roof of your mouth, so they don't work as much at circulating energy in an orbit, rather the emphasis on drawing energy to specific points.

-FJ

HHmm

Thanks Gunned... yup Fa-Jing I make no bones about the fact that I am relatively uninformed about the the area of Yoga. There is another majot difference (however maybe someone here can curb this generalisation im about to make!!!?) in the class I took, which apparently was taught to us by a qualified instructor, we were told to pluck up the chest and close the back. In Taiji and Qi Gong, it is a major principle due to the meridian pathways of the Ren and Du Mei that one must pluck up the back and hollow the chest area. This particular when asked to do it in the class caused me to generate heat in the chest area and I stopped doing in the class, because it felt unhealthy to do so.

Sam Wiley, I know you mentioned about the discipline termed Taoist Yoga in relation to this thread, but howeverif my sources are correct, then this term used by people like Lu K'uan Yu, refers completely to Taoist Achemical practices only! It uses the word Yoga I believe not in the literal sense of the Indian connection/practice.

Qigong and Yoga

Does anyone here knowledge enough in both arts to comment on the difference between Yoga and Qigon?
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

both terms encompass a large area of understanding. Yoga can mean many things that qi-gong does not.

Perhaps you want to elaborate a little more ?

Talking

Geez...could you be a little more specific?

IN GENERAL: Yoga is a discipline of awareness, *like* meditation. It doesn't generally contain things like, say... Iron Crotch.

Like all generalizations, this one is wrong too.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Originally posted by prana
    both terms encompass a large area of understanding. Yoga can mean many things that qi-gong does not.

Perhaps you want to elaborate a little more ?
    O.K. What kind of things yoga can mean are not meant in qigong?
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

Smile

If you don't mind me responding as well...

"Yoga" is like saying "kung fu": its a lot of different angles that point towards one thing.

In my, admittedly beginner's, opinion- the essence of yoga can be seen when you see a baby find its feet for the first time... just joyful, exploring, etc. The POV they seem to want is that innocent and fearless approach to the world, the oceanic swim of things. That can be gotten thru meditation, chanting, asanas, activation of kundalini, etc. What I mean is, take into account that this is a final goal when you weigh differences.

Qiqong is involved in certain aspects of that over others and adds its own, IMHO. For me, I take it as 'transformation' in a bodily sense- developing the body/mind connection, promoting flow of chi, etc. There is decidedly less involvement in certain POVs. When there is, its focus tends to be that seen in Taoism or Buddhism.. a kind of celestial awareness and a developed system of correspondences.

In the end, both tend to promote a union of subject/object...

...And now, to defer to prana... he's a good one for this.
    ---------------
    Forgot- neither yoga nor qiqong necessarily involve these POVs.. both can be external.
    Last edited by ZIM; 04-08-2003 at 03:44 PM.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب