Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about groin strikes_no trolls

If you are training to fight, you should learn how to protect that area, just as they should as well. No need to blast them there if you can help it, but I dont hesitate to hit there or aknowledge someone if they catch me there, its just like jabbing at someones eyes. Hard to see, really hard to block, and ifthey dont get used to it and how to deal with it, they may get a rude awakening one day. Just my $.02
    -Golden Arms-

Originally posted by Golden Arms
    If you are training to fight, you should learn how to protect that area, just as they should as well. No need to blast them there if you can help it, but I dont hesitate to hit there or aknowledge someone if they catch me there, its just like jabbing at someones eyes. Hard to see, really hard to block, and ifthey dont get used to it and how to deal with it, they may get a rude awakening one day. Just my $.02
    If you are training to fight, I agree.
    ***SONIC KICK***

attacking the groin

Robin,

If they go there you can go there. Just try to match their power.
    It's probably best that you talk with whoever you are sparring before hand and agree upon if the target is "legal" and how much power to use. Explain to them that it hurts (to whatever extent it does). You really don't want them to treat you any differently than another male in the class because if you ever have to use your skills your attacker probably won't pull any punches. I haven't sparred any females yet but I asked about it and was told to treat them like everybody else. And, like everybody else I'm careful. I always intend to strike female students, even if they are beginners. Sometimes I make contact with their breasts but I don't apologize because I don't want them to feel that makes them different in a MA sense. And they make contact with my cup when they throw that knee to my groin.
    - The essence of Kungfu is to accept change...

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I only have 8-10 students depending on how you count them.(they move really quickly sometimes). Again, I'll be open 2 years this may. After the first female student started about 6 months after I started class I've had a least 1-2 out of the 6-10 since then. BUT, I had 2 women in monday night and they seemed to get a kick out of it so they may stay. But, they said they could only come on Monday's due to church on Wed.

my sifu's school usually had about a 1-4 or 1-5 ratio of men to women. I don't know but that sounds higher than normal.

I don't plan on chest protection being mando for over 18 but will have them available for use.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Oso,

Sounds like those two women have good potential to stay.

We've always had a problem retaining women. I stay because I love kung fu and I've been with the school for 9 years--I just automatically go there at certain times of the day.

It does hurt considerably more getting hit in the breast than the groin for me, but I'm pretty fast at avoiding or blocking hits to the chest, and I've built up a tolerance to it.

Your sifu's school sounds like it does have a pretty high ratio of women. How many students total, do you know?

Golden Arms, Guile,
    I do agree with you guys that if you're training to fight, then you should train to take care of your entire body. So, I am getting good practice. I just found it odd that they only made contact with me there and they pull back when sparring another guy.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I never kept up with the total enrollment but in the 3 years I was his senior instructor a big night would have 25-30 people in line but usually it would be 15-20. This was in the 6:30 class for 0-3 year students. There was a 4:30 beginners class as well as an advanced class. plus kids and tai chi.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Talking

Engrish does not mine strong point.

Talking

I found better site.

http://www.kt.rim.or.jp/~tantan/

Dont miss the "Women Beat Men" section. Not Work Safe. Sorry.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

Robinf.

In my class we are about 60/40 men and women.
    Our rule is:
    "What is good for the goose is good for the ganter".

My style like many others practice "groin area " strikes, but I prefer to target the bladder.

IMO, for any attack you learn you also need to learn the counter.

Iron crotch could make this groin strike problem disappear.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Better buy those tapes on the links we see
    ***SONIC KICK***

In all seriousness...either tell them how you feel, or hit them back! Those are basically your only 2 choices!

If you're gonna spar with guys, you're gonna get hit like a guy. If they're not hitting each other in the groin, and they're hitting you in the groin, it's probably because they don't realize that it hurts a woman to get hit there. Guys will protect their groin more than anything, and women usually don't look at this area as a big pain section (althought it does hurt bad when you get hit there).

If it's just you being uncomfortable that they have their hand there, then it's a call you're going to have to make. I just don't understand the statement "It doesn't bother me to get kicked there, just their hand there". Because, in sparring, it's all about getting hit. They're probably using that area as an attack area because you're not blocking it and it's a good shot! They probably also don't realize that it makes you uncomfortable to have them hit you their either. Just say something to them, I'm sure they'll understand.....

Otherwise...just hit them back and then while they're on the floor in pain and tears and screams like you've never seen are coming from them...lean down and whisper "You like that?? Well, then don't do it to me".

Either or, it's your call....

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

wushu chik,

I posted here to learn more of why a guy would make contact with a woman there. Is it carelessness or is something more going on beneath that? I realize it's more than likely just carelessness.

shoalin and vapour,

lol!

Thanks guys for all your help. I consider the matter closed.
    Last edited by Robinf; 04-10-2003 at 05:29 AM.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Originally posted by Golden Arms
    I don't put much stake in groin shots in fights. I've seen them used - and had them used on me - and the pain doesn't REALLY kick in until after the fight's over and the adrenaline rush is gone.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

arent you sooooo HUGe that your thighs block them anyway
    ***SONIC KICK***