Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evaluate this school for me?

It does sound like a very cheezy reason. I should say...that is that movies are what first opened my eyes to Kung Fu. I hadn't previously know what it was. Seeing the Drunken Master flicks just mezmerised me.

What I want to get out of it...well first of all I want to get back into the shape I was in while I was doing Tae Kwon Do a few years back. I was flexible, was in shape, and was really enjoying myself. So in short, I wanna get back into martial arts.

I'm doing Kendo right now. Its great in that it provides a great competitive aspect. The downside to it is that its very straightforward. Its 100% practical movements. You don't do anything that isn't neccesary to win the point. The focus is on your technique, and the perfect execution of it (otherwise you don't get ippon).

What I'm looking for in addition to this is a martial art that is both practical and beautiful. To me Kung Fu seems like a mix of both practical fighting, and beautiful forms. I'm fascinated watching any Kung Fu forms. (Not Wushu mind you, that seems more like gymnastics). No, Kung Fu seems like there is a mix of deadliness AND beautiful movements. This intrigues me. I want to get involved with it.

Thats the best way I can put it into words I suppose.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. To me, the practicality is the beauty. especially when it's pulled off seemingly withoout a hitch. to me, there's nothing in MA more beautiful an a precisely executed throw or a perfect juji gatame.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    c'mon Seven, can't we have just one more guy???
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Yeah, let us have one more.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Okay, okay...gee ****!

i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

LOL @ KFO censoring wh!z

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

WVUKungFu.

First I think you need to look at what your goals are:
    1.) Do you want to study a specific style.
    2.) Do you want to learn to fight.

Unfortunately they are not mutually exclusive, but a mixed style might suit you better if you want to become a good fighter in the street.

No matter what art/style you choose, it will look beautiful & effortless if executed by a skilled practicioner.

Just some thoughts.

#1.
    Really...want to learn...Kung Fu. I'm fascinated with it.

Originally posted by WVUKungFu
    #1.
    Really...want to learn...Kung Fu. I'm fascinated with it.
    Ok, you need to look at a variety of styles and choose which one you like.

I am sure that there will be some offered close to you. There should atleast be some Tai chi or similar.

This is the only one I've found so far in the area with an internet and phone book search.

I kinda thought it looked at least semi believeable, but after what you guys are saying I'm starting to think a bit differently.

As far as styles...how about 8 drunken immortals?

No but seriously...so far what I've seen that I like is Hung Gar and Praying Mantis. I'm not picky though. If I can find genuine Kung Fu, I'll take it.

Especially if I can find an Iron Crotch school. Man, that'd be nice.
    Last edited by WVUKungFu; 04-09-2003 at 07:17 PM.

Originally posted by Royal Dragon
    Tai Tzu has a Southern Long Fist division called Cheung Kune Pai

It has most all the same techniques as the Northern Tai Tzu branches, only they are done with a Southern flavor.

Choi Lay Fut is Southern Long Fist as well.
    Pardon my ignorance... I never heard of those styles classified as Long Fist... I learn something new everyday!

It's true though, Kempo is not kung fu and I bet you'll be barefoot and wearing belts and a karate outfit...

herb ox,
    Tai Tzu Chang Chuan = Great ancestor's Long Fist.

Cheung Kune is just Chang Chuan in a Southern Dialect.

Tai Tzu has a Southern Short fist system as well, but it was created independantly buy the Southern Sung as basic training for the troops (my current understanding), and is not directly related to the Tai Tzu Chang Chuan of Sung Tai Tzu. The Cheung Kune IS the same style as the Northern, but due to it's being propagated in the South for so long, it morphed into a Southern system. The forms are different, but if you break them down, vertually all the Northern techniques are there.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

The Kempo I have seen has had more similarity to Southern short hand systems than any southern long. The stnaces were typically high and close with everything fairly close to middle range.

Then again, I have also had Chinese people tell me that a southern long hand system they did was northern because it was long hand...even though its methods were southern applied to long hand.

If you are discussing the martial arts of the late Willie Chow of Hawaii whose art was labeled Kempo Karate then I can tell that it is a definitely sourthern Chinese System.

In the late 1970s, long before I was involved in martial arts, I was friends with a Paulist Priest by the name of Father Al Kim. Willie Chow was his Uncle and he told us funny stories about his Uncle V(W)illey. He told us that his Uncle's father or grandfather (can't remember) left Southern China and settled in Hawaii.

Father Kim is now permanently stationed in Hawaii and is a parish priest.

He was one of the first Asians I ever met and he taught me how to eat spicy food to that point that Sichuan families raise their eyebrows at what I used to eat (mild Asthma put an end to my heavy spice eating).

Father Kim said that he never practice the art (I don't believe him) and his sisters were adept in it. One of them appeared on the old series of MASH.

Now, I don't know how Willie Chow's kungfu got mixed into Mitrose's Kenpo (Japanese) and how Ed Parker may have added or subtracted from the system but the original style practiced by Willie Chow is Southern Chinese.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Here is where you can find a copy of Mitose's book, its a great work and an interesting read.

http://www.tracyskarate.com/History/...page.htm#Pages
    At a boy Luther!!!!