Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What"s Your Moral

Shaolin36 Guest

What"s Your Moral

Although Kung Fu movies are a far cry from reality and with all the wires sped up scenes and 1 man taking on 20, its hard to get any reality out of them.
    In my opinions they do teach alot of fundamental thoughts and morals.
    For instance-(the easy one) At the beginning of "Enter the Dragon" Bruce Leee shows a very hard tree with the tops covered with snow, and it breaks and dies(so to speak). He also shows harsh winds blowing on another tree that just flexes in the wind, it does not break.
    This teaches us tha in order to survive, we too must be like the tree in the wind and adapt and be supple. Yin and Yang. Firmness with flexibility.

What are some other "morals" or "hidden messages" you have seen in kung fu movies?

Shaolin36

Ryu Guest
    Hmm.
    To be honest I think "moral" aspects of stories have gone down a great deal in martial art movies, especially where Jet Li is involved. No offense to his fans.

If I had to answer this question I'd post my own scripts and stories that I have personally written :D

(yeah so it's a plug, big deal)

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Shaolindynasty Guest

Not hidden but

I like in Fist of Legend when Funakoshi(sp?) tells Chen Zhen that martial arts are for maximizing the body's energy and the best way to beat an opponent is with a gun and warns him about the gerneral, his I think neice says "aren't you the best in Japan" Then Chen Zhen says "when they say he is the best they are talking about his cultivation"

Morals and philosophy etc...have been mostly taken out of the english dubbed films

New classes New online Catalog
    www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

Shaolin36 Guest
    In Tai Chi master, Junbo assumes he can beat Jet Li(forgot his movie name) and make him subdue.

This teaches us never to underestimate the opponent.

shaolinboxer Guest
    I always appreciated the moral of Bruce Lee's pictures (Chinese Connection, Fist of Fury, Return of the Dragon)...violence leads to loneliness and prison.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
    - Cat

Ryu Guest
    For the record, when I mentioned Jet Li I was talking more about the films with an American bent then his old old stuff. But there's a few of his I really don't like.

:D I'm gonna give him a wedgie.

I did like Bruce's conclusions when it came to that. Bruce always ended up in prison, dead, or alone. It became a tragic thing to be violent, not glorious.

But I'm sure some don't see it like that :D

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Universal Stance Guest

In most Kungfu movies...

Be the good guy. You'll live longer. Unless your the black guy.

"**** it's cold out here to be practicing."

Mojo Guest
    1.Drink lots of wine and you'll never lose a fight.
    2.After your master dies you'll work at your style alot harder so you can get revenge.
    3.Revenge is a good thing.

origenx Guest
    Mojo - LOL!!!

Johnny Hot Shot Guest
    Kung Fu Movies are hardly the place to be looking for moral code or ethics. I found that in reading good books and having many good people in my life to be all the spiritual/Moral guidence I need.

Take everything with a grain of salt.
    What is good for one is not alyays the same for another.
    dont Sh1t where you eat.

But most importantly treat others how you would like to be treated.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
    Jacko Jackson

Mojo Guest
    I almost forgot these..

4.If someone insults your honor, kill them.
    5.It's easy to catch darts when they're secretly throw at you.

Shaolin36 Guest
    You almost forgot:
    If you do one finger zen before a fight, you can kill anybody.

Silumkid Guest
    It seems to me that a lot of kungfu movies seem to really be more about hidden political commentaries than out and out "moral codes". If you have seen "Dragon Inn" you probably know exactly what I mean, for a heavy example.

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

RedDragon Guest

another forgotten one:

if 20 guys are picking on a helpless old man, kill them all with your large inventory of weopons (nunchucks, bo, enscrima sticks, tiger hooks, throwing darts, sais, swords, canons, ect. ect.)

where do they get them all?!? :confused:

"United We Stand, Divided We Fall."

HuangKaiVun Guest
    "Circle of Iron" is one long fable from beginning to end.

"Tie two birds together, though they have four wings they cannot fly"

"I looked in 'the book' (all mirrors) . . . [and I saw] EVERYTHING".

"There is no enlightenment outside yourself".

"Man is born to love".