Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pot and Martial Arts? Opinions anyone?

Pot and Martial Arts? Opinions anyone?

Okay, Im sure theres a few cops and parents on here, just as well as stoners. So... Any opinions on the affects of marijuana to kung fu or training? or ability? (please note and take into consideration the word "opinion")

Doing taiji forms while high is fun, but worthless as a training endeavor. Pretty much the same as drawing or painting while high.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

So what's your take on the creativity aspects while high? true or bull?

Kee-rist. How often is this topic gonna ressurect itself on this f*cking board...?

I guess what they say about stoners is true. Re: short term memory lapse.
    K. Mark Hoover

I think pot CAN be, but isn't always, helpful for creative inspiration. You definitely don't want to rely on it. And I'm unconvinced creativity has any place in MA (this goes back to my old hobby-horse about the difference between martial arts and expressive arts.)
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

AFTER training
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

pot or not thread

just didnt feel like reading the whole pot thread

pot tea thread

there have been others too, but i dont think they saved anymore.
    where's my beer?

Budokan -

Are you kidding? This is way less prevalent and annoying than tma vs. mma threads. Not that that is saying much...
    Crippled Avenger

Yep, or the "Bruce Lee Sucks" threads. You're right. I apologize.
    K. Mark Hoover

Maybe we could combine them all into one, like with the iraq threads.

"Pothead Bruce Lee sucks because his traditional martial arts is helpless before modern MMA" or something.
    Crippled Avenger

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Bruce Lee wasn't a traditional martial artist.

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

hehe.
    good to see there werent any hasty generalizations made. I for one do agree that it definately has a creative aspect - I produce hip hop and jungle, breakbeats - forms are also more fun...
    Dont get me wrong, forms are fun anyways...

Pot is fun,
    Training is fun
    Pot + training = not fun

For training, especially realistic training, you need a clear head. Not a cloudy one. Pot leads to memory lapses so if your high there is a good chance you wont remember anything youlearned while high.

Just train sober then you can blast yourself when you get home.

I always wondered why a student cant afford to pay his dues on time, but can afford pot at $400 an ounce. guess its priorities,,hmmmmmm?
    At a boy Luther!!!!

er... I tend to be blown quite a bit... whilest posting... ect... So I beg to differ - In a real life situation, chances are Im going to be stoned. I may as well spar and practice high because most fights around here occur because people are drunk at a party - lets face it - at a party I wont be sober, and neither will most the people on this forum.
    Anyone ever tried drunken boxing forms drunk?

One more thing... I just wanted to let everyone know once again that I dont represent the beliefs of shaolin-do... vice versa...