Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditional training methods from Movies

Traditional training methods from Movies

Hey do you guys happen to know any old training methods?
    These days it's hit the bag, lift weights.

Do you know any non-standard methods? Ive seen some training methods in movies that I thought were weird but would actually be good to use.

The ones Ive seen are:

36 chambers: Run over logs for speed and balance (have to have a lot of space to yourself for that)

36 chambers:The shoulder excersice where the monks would carry buckets of water with thier arms streched out. (without the sharp knives)

Young master(Jackie Chan): Vertical press a table (or similar item) 100 times. (that is hard, I tried)

They actually are great excersices, and a lot of movies have portrayed training fairly realistically.

Do you guys have any other things youve seen that can be done?
    (i.e: Hitting bags of rocks with my head is not something I want to try)

Thanks
    ***SONIC KICK***

Lol, that sounds like fun. I think you would need to be out in a wide wild open space like in secluded temple training centers (-_-)

I am sure you could put some logs or something on a flat surface and jump to each one for speed and balance.

Probably the buckets on the shoulders probably reverted to body weights or something and exercising and running with them strapped on.

I don't know what "Vertical press a table 100 times" is, can you give a description?

We are in the new age, not very many people train like that (I don't know why, it sounds like fun).
    under the reign of fire i still stand

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jodo
    [B]Lol, that sounds like fun. I think you would need to be out in a wide wild open space like in secluded temple training centers (-_-)

I am sure you could put some logs or something on a flat surface and jump to each one for speed and balance.
    Yea need a lot of land for that

Probably the buckets on the shoulders probably reverted to body weights or something and exercising and running with them strapped on.
    Yea, you can get buckets, backpacks and fill them with books, etc.

I don't know what "Vertical press a table 100 times" is, can you give a description?
    take a table or something smaller. Lift it over your head. Now go all the way up, let it come down to the top of your head, then up again, etc.

We are in the new age, not very many people train like that (I don't know why, it sounds like fun).
    It is!
    ***SONIC KICK***

In the movie Prodigal Son a teacher and student practiced close quarter fighting on a table top.
    If a person offends you, do not resort to extremes, simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick.

Mark Twain

Eh... that table thing on the heads sounds really stupid. If I am not mistaken I think you can cause brain damage.

Originally posted by Jodo
    Eh... that table thing on the heads sounds really stupid. If I am not mistaken I think you can cause brain damage.
    No, dont hit your head! Make sure it is a weight you can handle.
    Thats why I added "or something smaller".
    ***SONIC KICK***

What about that great one in Drunken Master where Jackie's Sifu has him doing situps upside down with two empty buckets on either side of him. He's gotta dip tea cups into a vat of water below him and fill the empty buckets along side of him before he stops. That is sooo hardcore!

Sorry...

Guile, I miss understood what you said.

Well now that I think about it, the right way, it does sound like a good idea.

Since I started training (I wanna be strong enough to join a Capoeira class) I have notice that my speed has increased. I am sooooooo happy ^_^ I almost missed the bus and I usually carry a huge load on my shoulders, just for a while then I carry the bag with my arms. I was running as if I was free handed.

*cough* can't wait too starting driving by myself *cough* ^_-

Samurai Jack - Thats a good idea!
    Id like to try that out

***SONIC KICK***

What about that great one in Drunken Master where Jackie's Sifu has him doing situps upside down with two empty buckets on either side of him. He's gotta dip tea cups into a vat of water below him and fill the empty buckets along side of him before he stops. That is sooo hardcore!
    I remember that one. And then he cheated and just dumped the bucket of water into the other bucket. Then the Sifu had him do the exercise again this time putting all the water back into the original bucket. That's one of my favorite MA movies.

There was also all the barehanded nutcracking (I'm guessing to work the grip?). Though that could get expensive.
    "Face it. People are fukked. Why would you want a career helping anyone? Go find a mountain and farm sheep for a living." - Serpent on Personal Training

"Its a cool show, but I think this young super man is a very stupid mother ****er." - yenhoi on Smallville

"They could have had the tagline "Watch Joe Millionaire. More stuff will happen," and they'd have been there." - eulerfan on TV watching Americans

"Anyway, I used to pick girls up all the time in the gym when I was in college. We'd hang out until the aerobics classes ended, and then swoop in while all their endorphins were still pumping.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel." - ghthomason on dating

"I would say that there is a greater chance of a paper dog catching and asbestos cat in hell, while in the lost city of Atlantis, Elvis and Ghengis Khan are using butterfly nets to catch the opera-singing monkeys flying out of my butt, but that implies there's still a chance." - Starboy on optimism

Nut cracking can be tasty, but fattening
    ***SONIC KICK***

My fave was the wrist pushups in drunken master (i think). I was actually told to do those by an Aikido Instructor a few years ago. I did but stopped as it seemed very hard on the joints. Anyone else tried them?

I personally love the wrist push ups, since Ive started the drilling power on my punches has gone up dramatically. As long as your wrists are strong enough, and you should always do it on a pad (doing it on hard ground will pinch the tendons and nerves in back of hand) its good....
    But Ive had a broken wrist for a while now, and lately its been breaking worse... so I stopped the wrist push ups for the mean time.

My old sifu would have us do these time to time (traditional training methods from movies).....
    It was fun, we would have a lot of fun with it, especially when we had the chance to set up plum flower posts. We would also have to sit in horse stance from time to time, either holding something up, or with random stuff from around the school put on our knees and/or wrists.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Wrist Pushups seems good, just dont want to push it too much incase they mess up my wrist. I have to try them though!
    Looks like several of you do them
    Ill try on carpet first
    ***SONIC KICK***