Thread: Injured back, any ideas?

Injured back, any ideas?

I injured my back a few days ago doing a clean without warming up properly. I had the weight at the top but apparently was not tensing my abs proberly, and at the top of the movement (where the bar just reaches my shoulders) my back bent backwards slightly. It was enough that I could feel it and I dropped the weight, but it was too late. I feel pain or discomfort in the lower curve of my back up and down the spine when I bend over or pick up weights. I don't think its anything serious, but I am wondering if anyone knows anything that will speed up recovery. I am using muscle liniment on it and I plan on abstaining from deads, cleans, squats, etc. for at least two weeks. Are there any stretches I should be doing? I notice I can feel it if I lie on my stomach in the top of a pushup position and let my hips sink to the floor. I also tried some seated rows today at the gym and it felt looser by the end. Any help would be great. thanks,
    adam
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

Get a friend to massage it deep and slow, alternate heat and ice. I did the same thing in Dec. and it put me out for a couple months. Take your time getting back into things. That one stretch you mentioned is pretty good. Good luck.

I know this is OT, but how is bjj going?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I am loving BJJ. My class is great, and I get to roll with some of the strongest people I've met (not strong like they deadlift 600, strong like they will lift themselves from sitting cross legged to a handstand and start doing handstand pushups in between sparring sessions). I have a story from class too. Last weekend I was rolling and I had already tapped out 6 times against opponents with a lot more experiance. There was a little Hawaiian guy in the class who had been choked unconscious in an early match and was laying down on the mat, so I thought I would ask him to spar. I was thinking I would finally have an opponent who I could beat, as he didn't look very strong or even completely conscious at the time. He agreed, a little reluctantly, and we began to roll. Within three seconds he had me in a choke that resembled a triangle choke. I put all my weight on him as I've been taught to do so it curls his spine and he loosens up (we are taught to resist the temptation to pick the other guy up and drop him as its really not very good technique and it could injure either one of us). Instead of loosening the choke as I had hoped, however, he just uses my weight to go into a backwards somersault with me still in the choke. I honestly thought my neck would break, and it probably should have. Meanwhile I probably gave him severe hemmorage tapping so fast. The match couldn't have lasted more than 10 seconds total, and afterwards I couldnt turn my head. We shook hands and the hawaiian guy went back to lying down on the mat.
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

Now that is really cool! Just think, one day it'll be you doing that to other unsuspecting training partners!

You've aggravated the lumbar region.. took me three months and i still can't squat or do deads. I now do barbell hack squats and use a hip belt to squat.. IT may feel better but i felt "better" after a month and a half but i was still only at 60% and it still was stiff and weak. Do yourself a favour and take time off- more than two weeks. Just do chins and stretching if you can. No pulling or holding the weight out in front of you. That will cause strain on the disc. Anyway, bottom line, it sucks. I am only now starting a decent program again. Once you injure your back, you are looking at a lifetime of pain if you are not careful. I did cealns at the time of my injury- i loved them. However, when i think back to them, they are an accident waiting to happen if you are using heavy weight and concentrate too much and the pulling with your upper body. I have long legs and I know that i pulled too much with the upper body rather than leading with the legs first. Be careful whatever you decide..
    Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

For the next few weeks, the floor and you better get to know each other real well
    ***SONIC KICK***