Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your Favorite Martial Arts Book?

Question What is your Favorite Martial Arts Book?

What is your favorite Martial Arts Book?

For non-instruction, I like Secrets of the Samurai. You can find this book in most book stores and is a nice read with lots of historical information on Japanese Martial Arts and principles.

For Instruction, I like Brazilian Jiu-jtisu, The Master Text. Out of all the BJJ books, it has the most moves, the newest ones from any book, and the best outline and links of moves. You cant get this book at the store, but it is at www.jiu-jitsu.net and there is also a good forum there where the author will answer your questions, this is also what I like about the book.

What are your favorites because I'm looking for more reading material.

anything by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming is good...
    Erle Montaigue...
    ****... I need to go look at my library.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Art of War by Sun Tzu
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Chinese boxing: masters and methods
    -Robert W Smith
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

gotta be kung fu by david chow and richard spangler for me, its a great starting point for those just starting or just interested in ma's and also good as a reference.....
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

dont have one.

i bought a wing chun book once, by some guy and ip chun (or mabye with just some of his help). while interesting, it was nothing my sifu couldn't have told/shown me.
    Travis

structure in motion

Taijiquan classics and treaties.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I hope to read Journey to the West soon.
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure

Webster's dictionary. It is heavier, easier to hang on to and has sharp edges.

Originally posted by cho
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I hope to read Journey to the West soon.
    I can't find that in any bookstore. I've looked several times. Thinking of ordering it off Amazon.com

And mine is Wing Tsun Kuen by Leung Ting.
    I have a signature.

cho,
    have you ever seen the movie "The Lost Empire"? it's about journey to the west.

Originally posted by Souljah
    gotta be kung fu by david chow and richard spangler for me, its a great starting point for those just starting or just interested in ma's and also good as a reference.....
    isn't that the one that has all of those kung exercises in it? jade belt, gecko crawling, red sand palm, etc?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I'm a fan of the entire judo masterclass series. "Filipino Martial Culture" is good also. "Hsing - I Volume two: Combat" Has sentimental value, as I got it when I was 13, and is was the first MA book that I bought.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

7* yeah thats the one with the exercises.
    I have a signature.

Sun Tzu's Art of War must be my favourite non-instructional book, but my favorite instructional book would be Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm