Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your Favorite Martial Arts Book?

Musashi's "Book of five rings"

Frantzis "The Power of Internal Martial arts"

Red Pine "Zen teachings of Bodhidharma"

Olson "Steal My art"

Yes, definitey "a book of five rings" Dunno how I forgot that. "The art of war" also.

I've got five rings, but not art of war, however, I have read it, and A while back I found an online version.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Royce's BJJ self defense book while not my fave is pretty decent.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

7star, yes thats the book, It the only place I've really found anything detailing Kung exercises and mindset.
    At the moment I cant really say I'm into any straight instructional books, I just don't feel I can learn from them (yet).
    I guess once I have advanced abit more I will be able to pick these things up alot easier.
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Talking

The best book is clearly "Iron Body Ninja" by Ashida Kim.

"Martial Musings" Robert W. Smith

And any issue of the Journal of Asian Martial Arts

Yes Bodhidharma is a good one,

also anything by Dreager Weapons of Indonesia is one of my fav's.

and the Karate Dojo.
    At a boy Luther!!!!

Originally posted by bung bo
    cho,
    have you ever seen the movie "The Lost Empire"? it's about journey to the west.
    No, is it the one with Russell Wong on NBC ? I heard it wasn't good.

Philbert, try Wing Lam. www.wle.com
    I haven't bought a copy from them, as I read it from my university's library.
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure

Originally posted by BAI HE
    The best book is clearly "Iron Body Ninja" by Ashida Kim.
    Sadly that is the first martial arts book I ever purchased. I feel so durty for it too. I still own it, great fictional stories. If Ashida ever needs some money he can write some more fictional stories and make a butt load.

I want to get rid of my copy, but I don't want to pass it on to someone who has no knowledge of A.K. I'd rather pass it on to one of his followers, for $10 (mint condition) plus shipping, that way I know it at least an idiot has it rather than a gulliable person.

I'd burn it, but I want my money back.
    I have a signature.

For general info, the one that I read over and over is Robert W. Smiths "Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods" (already mentioned by someone). A lot more portable than BK Frantzis' The Power of Internal Arts.

I've only read one fiction - an edition of Journey to the West. Liked that. If you're buying this one, bear in mind that you never get the whole story cos nobody can be bothered to translate all of it. I think if I buy another translation of it, it's likely to have completely different episodes.

For training, the best book I've seen so far is Dr Yang Jwing Ming's Shaolin Chin-Na. More chin-na than you'd need in a million years. Somethng like 200 techniques and 10,000 photos. Wasn't cheap but was worth it.

Being English, it's nice to read stuff by English people so Steve Richards hopgar/mantis/autobio has been helpful on the inside.

-David

Journey to the West

You gotta see the Shaw brothers films "The Monkey goes West" and "Cave of Silken Web". I got both for like 8 bucks apiece in Chinatown. http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

series.
    Last edited by jun_erh; 04-16-2003 at 02:13 PM.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

1. "Filipino Martial Arts" by Dan Inosanto -
    Sweeeeeet. Chock full of great illustrations, tactics, techniques, and history. One of my most prized books.

2. "Indonesian Fighting Fundamentals" by Bob Orlando -
    Light on techniques, heavy on principles and strategy. A great history section, and well written throughout.

3. "The Sword Polisher's Record" by Adam Hsu -
    No techniques, but lots of good articles on Kung Fu philosophy and principles. This book asks you a lot of good questions, and gives even more good answers.

I was wondering who was going to get to the Sword Polisher's Record before I had a chance to post.

The Tao of Pooh (as in Winnie the Pooh) -- just a good read that clearly translates into martial arts

Dynamic Strength (forget the auther) -- good supplement for ideas in working out beyond training.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Smile

I didn't care for the Sword Polishers Record. Although the collection of articles did contain some good information I felt a negative tone to the work that turned me off.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

B.K. Frantzis "The Power of Internal Martial arts"

Wong Kiew Kit "The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu"

Two books that I read and enjoy time after time.