Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GENE

GeneChing Guest
    northern mantis: You got my attention
    :eek:

diego: I'm sorry, your question still isn't narrow enough for me to address. What are you looking for - in one sentence or less?

lost_disciple: Don't get me wrong, I love the US and my US passport, or I would have left for some other place, like Costa Rica. I suppose my chad comment to diffuse the China bashing - to point out that it's easy to bash any country when you focus on the negative. No country is perfect and even if one was the best, the whole world couldn't fit into it. Especially after spending time travelling in the 3rd world, I'm happy to be a US citizen. But as a citizen of the world, I can't deny the world perspective.

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

Lost_Disciple Guest
    Gene
    Cool to see you know where I'm coming from. I didn't mean to imply that u didn't love the US either; just that your rebuff to that comment coulda started a war. hehe I only said all that pro-US stuff cuz I love this place so much. :D Though, I'd love it a LOT more if NSA would finally let me know whether or not I'm hired. :p

I gotta let you know that I respect the he!! out of you. I really enjoy your writting style, it's intelligent and insightful. You've given us a heck of a role model as a traditionalist who's learned to embrace the more modern stuff for it's virtues.

Regardless of the sins of China's government, I really don't think the modern practisioners are really hateful, murderous, spiteful people. People accuse them of saying that traditonal is messy or sloppy. My response to that is that modern wushu & mainland martial arts in general; have been treated with a lot of ill feelings from the traditional crowd. I think modern and traditional practisioners have some similar goals. They also each have a lot they are bringing to the table. Eventually they're going to have to learn to live in harmony with each other, as I don't see either side "winning". The modernists want the heritage, health benefits, and the fighting ability of the traditional arts. The traditionalists (whether they want it or not) could use the flood of money, practisioners, and exposure that go along with the modernists. I think both agree that they love CMA. If each side embraced each other, they'd both probably find a mutually acceptable middle ground.

Yes, some modernists may prefer san da training alone for its fighting (techniques with no forms, tradition, or heritage). Yes, some traditionalists prefer a few high quality students to having a huge student body of hobbyists. Yes, some modernists and some traditionalists may never accept each other- especially their tao lu. Unfortunately I think these are some really narrow-minded view points. People have become better san da fighters by embracing some traditional techniques. In Taiwan, many traditional arts were made more public, and these arts have thrived- the higher number of students providing a higher number of quality students. On both sides, there are schools that have embraced the other side's forms, and maintained their perspective integrity, often improving.

Modern's never gonna go away. Traditional's never going to go away. All either can hope for is a positive impact on the other; and to find a middle ground where both can meet and be happy. That's just my thoughts.

I'd also like to see Traditional get promoted & get a lot more exposure. Laying low and keeping secrets may have been necessary a long time ago, I just don't see the need for it these days. Unfortunately, egos, squabbles, and conflicts usually destroy proper promotion of TCMA. People never seem to agree as soon as things get too big. Goals get warped. Greed grows with money. People forget that they can make a positive difference. I think it's sad. I think a ton of frauds make tons of money (www.kungfula.com) and get some dedicated (albeit ignorant) students because they fill a vaccuum in proper marketing and promotion of martial arts. Frauds are bad for kung fu. They hurt the art, by giving prospective students a poor impression. I consider promotion a necessary evil; but at the same time I think it could really help the arts. Organizations like AAU, USKF, USWKF, and such have come close but all are plagued with in-fighting. People may be afraid of unifying and forming a governing body, however without one, frauds are running rampant and doing more harm than modern wushu could ever hope to. I'd like to see somebody get it right; maybe as a result of modern influence.

Sorry for this long rant. Some people may not agree with anything I've written, but it's how I feel. I see a reconciliation between traditionalists and modernists coming in the eventual future. I see both influencing the other in a positive way. I also see someone finally figuring out how to organize a good governing body and properly promote kung fu

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

diego Guest

word, i cant put into a sentence,i must contemplate till tomorrow

when you click the dragon symbol then you get to the overall starting page.

below cris tucker and jackie,you have a picture of a master with a spear, his name is tian/dian???.
    i seen on pbs a chikung special and they had him in the studio in detroit when he toured the us,
    he did a bunch of chigung while they were asking for pledges;MAD COOL

gene got info on sifu???please!!.

GeneChing Guest

lost deigo

ld: Thanks for the props. I agree with you. If only we could all live together in harmony - but then what would the point of being warriors be? ;)

dieog: That's master Duan Zhiliang, who was featured in a documentary on Qigong some time ago. We hope to have more on him soon.

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com