Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a milk substitute

Question Need a milk substitute

Tried the "super squats" routine but lost weight instead of gaining as I can't drink milk, which they recommend consuming at least a gallon (!) a day. Any ideas on substitutes?

Preferably real food not some protein shake I have to go buy. (I still live at home and mooch off of my mums' good cooking)

One gallon, there is no cheap replacement. Have you tried Organic Silk Vanilla (or another flavor) Soymilk? I think Silk is the brand. It is grittier, but works with cereal and is great with fruit smoothies.

Are you lactose intolerant? There is a lactose free milk (also expensive and not so great tasting).
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and expect something in between. -RTW
    If you had …one shot…one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted, one moment, would you capture it, or just let slip.

I switched from milk to Rice Dream (rice milk) a couple of years ago. I like the taste a lot better than soy milk. I don't think I'd drink a gallon a day of anything besides water though.

Rice dream is good stuff, try it out
    ***SONIC KICK***

Yes, I am lactose intolerant. Besides, I don't even like the taste of milk! I have reason to believe that soy isn't good for me, not sure (I'll check the stats) that rice milk has the protein. I like it on my cereal though.

Ironfist, how's your program going?

You are just looking for the extra protien?
    Vitamins, lots of lean meats, and calcium pills are all you should need then... and lots of water.

cans of tuna fish might help.

Originally posted by Cyborg

Ironfist, how's your program going?
    I quit the Super Squats program after 3 days because I was getting unbearable headaches halfway through the set. I switched to 10 sets of 5 with 1:00 rest instead.

But I suck, I can't finish a freaking mass cycle because I either get big projects to work on in school, or sick, or both.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Does it have to be "liquid protein" ?

Can't you shift to tuna, egg whites, beef liver or something else? Try blending some tuna on a blender and drinking it after your workout... funky-licious.

Seriously though, if you have to DRINK it by some reason, try some protein powder, I don't see any way around.

Peace.

And protien powder is cheapest too! (per amount of protien per dollar amount)
    ***SONIC KICK***

the apostle of quinoa

Ah, if it's protein you're after, this gives me another chance to plug quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah). Quinoa is a south american grain - it was the staple of the Inca empire - it has just about as much protein per gram as meat, its amino acid balance is pretty much ideal for humans, it cooks up easy like rice, & it's pretty tasty. Go to a health food store & check it out, all of you!

why is monkey mind plugging it?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

What does Quinoa taste like?
    Cooks like rice, but im sure it doesnt taste like it?
    ***SONIC KICK***

I ate like a pig while on the program and it was a lot of protein. I assume the liquid would be more assimilable than solids. We raise our own beef and chicken and it's much more lean than what you find at the store. But I couldn't seem to eat enough of it to gain.

Guess I'm willing to try protein shakes... what kinds do y'all recommend? I prefer as natural as possible and as little dairy (milk) based as well. Thanks guys.

No ulterior motive here - I'm just plugging quinoa because it's healthy, I love it, & I've found that most people haven't heard of it. Quinoa has a slightly nutty flavor but really, like rice, it's kind of bland on its own. I usually throw a veggie bouillon cube in when I'm cooking it. Try it out. I'm sure it's not for everybody but quinoa really is a good, healthy, cheap source of protein.