Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT : rant over an incident at lunch

OT : rant over an incident at lunch

Hey all

I was sitting in fast food restaurant today (not Mc-D's). This lady and her mother came into the restaurant.

So long story short, she trips and falls on her side. I am out of my chair to attend to her whilst her daughter is still turning around to find her mother on the floor. No one else moved, except for the waitresses.

Now, she lies on the floor.. She remains lying down while her daughter is speechless, stunt. I look at her and her daughter, and I sit back down cause she looked like she wanted to remain on the floor for a while. Pretty silly of me I know.

Anyway, a few more moments passed, and they ask for my help to lift her up. I helped them, now everyones looking at the incident.

I have this strange suspicion that the mumbling afterwards (between mother and daughter) was them trying to find a case for a lawsuit. Now I work in a sort of "city" area and the people there are horrible, and I would expect that sort of behaviour there.

I know I wouldnt have helped a person who has purposely fallen so that they can get an insurance payout (I am not sure if I have and if I have, I feel horrible...)( if I havent, I feel bad making this post... and am a paranoid little jerk)

sorry, just had to rant...

I wonder if I should go to the authorities and speak up if I find that restaurant suddenly in trouble.... and give them evidence based on what ? My feelings ?!? This sux.. I hate Western Law...

We all hate western law most of the time, but at least some of the more frivolous lawsuits in this country are getting turned over. Common sense occasionally prevails. I think that as a country we are desperate not to make the kind of mess of litigation that the US has. That's certainly a model for how not to do it!

Don't stress it, Prana. If the restaurant does get sued, do you know for certain that it was staged? If not, what can you do?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Smile

"mortals keep creating karma and mistakenly insist that theres no retribution. but can they deny there suffering? Can they deny that what the present state of mind sows the next state of mind reaps?Don't misconceive Karma." Bodhidharma

On the flip side, I worked at a retail office supply store after college. During the X-mas season, we would sell these gel-filled paper weights, kinda like "snow globes."

One day, a customer broke one of the globes, and figuring they would have to pay for it, stuck it behind a shelf out of sight. The gel leaked down the shelf and onto the floor, where an old lady (83) slipped and broke her hip. She eventually died from an infection caused by the break.

We didn't get sued, but her husband won a bucket-load from the manufacturer of the paper-weights.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I accidentally ****ed in the book store. People 4 isles over were grumbling.
    Oops.
    Guess I just didnt know my internal strength.

If she sues... Is the restaraunt a major corporation? If so then they probably did worse to get where they are. Small family owned? I would definately speak up if something happened.

WTF? it doesnt let you say F A R T E D?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
    [B]I accidentally ****ed in the book store. People 4 isles over were grumbling.
    Oops.
    Guess I just didnt know my internal strength.

Beans?
    ***SONIC KICK***

prana mate - i know u will do the right thing whatever happens pretty gewd reactions though buddy, remind me not to sit near you for dim sum or else there will be no food left near me

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

prana, you don't have to go to the authorities. They'll probably just look at you funny because, since it's not a criminal case, there's nothing they can do.

if it bothers you though, you can go to the restaurant and let them know you were present during the incident, leave them your name and number if they ask for it. That way, if a suit is filed, the restaurant's attorneys can ask for a deposition from you. (Basically they just ask what you saw happen.)

If it goes before a judge, your account would have some weight in deciding if the suit is frivolous (or has merit).

very nice of you to help though
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

prana,

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Think about it. If you fell over in front of a big crowd of people, wouldn't you also walk off mumbling something incriminating about the floor?

When I was in college, the liberal arts building had a loading dock on the back. One day, I was leaving by that exit and it was pouring rain. There's a nice looking girl chaining up her bike right there, to boot. She smiles at me. I smile back. (You know, that terribly suave smile a guy sports at a time like that.) And I promptly fall down the stairs.

The girl comes over to ask if I'm alright. And what do I say, in all my suaveness? "Yeah, I'm fine. I injured my ankle working out yesterday."

Working out?! Ugh.

People say stupid sh-t when they're embarassed. I'd bet my guts to garters it was just empty talk to allay feeling like an idiot. (And I'd make the same bet that it didn't help much.)

Indignity makes us do silly things.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

many thanks for the thoughts all...

very Kung Fu of all of you !

Serpent : nope, too bad I dont know for certain, but I shall definitely work the ropes if I find them suddenly closed doors. Although my missus and myself agree their "step" should be flattened somewhat cause someday, an innocent person would trip on it Appreciate your thoughts bud...

bodhitree : woow. its like you are talking straight at me without having to do so. Might have somethign to do witht eh word "Karma". Very appropriate indeed ...

MasterKiller : unfortunate Although I believe money can help certain people, I feel it is difficult to justify the relationship with money versus teaching the corporate a lesson. I think it is easy, for people to justify emotional hurt with greed. And yes, unfortunately, we all do it to, even if its to a minute extent.

Shaolin-Do : a small Vietnamese Restaurant, not the friendliest people in the world but nice hard working people nevertheless. That is some awesome ****-gong there m8t

Dawood : hehehe avoiding me already ? Dont worry, I'm not vicious at all ... just a clumsy boring fool...

SaMantis : I have lunch there at least twice a week. I think I will keep my eye out and if somethign happens, then speak up. Appreciate the support.

apoweyn : very empathetic of you indeed, and answer from the other side of the coin. Does make the situation less painful to review and bring understanding. You a good wise man !

I just felt crabby and thanks for letting me rant. It's a learning experience and good to hear all your thoughts. I am still puzzled by why the daughter just stared into blank space instead of helping her mother up onto a chair.... when she looked at me, she almost grinned.... anyway, I will keep my eye open and your thoughts in mind.

nah not avoiding you - but im already doing a good job saying as im continents away... just better make sure im not at the same table as BOTH you and joedoe - i want some food too aye?

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

" Now I work in a sort of "city" area and the people there are horrible, and I would expect that sort of behaviour there. "

I live in the city...what is that supposed to mean?

People in my city are nice enough. But then again, I do live in wisconsin. The constant flow of beer and cheese keeps people pretty happy.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

symptom of identity.

Guys, I am not saying people in the city, but people in THIS city ie. not Manhattan ! Dont get all personal, things can be interpreted in many ways, ... relax.