Thread: First Post and hes already asking for Something

First Post and hes already asking for Something

Hi,

I have been reading through this forum, and think its really intresting.

In a previous thread someone mentioned they had a problem with there shoulder which was cured with TCM. I am hoping the same thing can happen with me.

About four years ago whilst rock climbing I slipped from a ledge, with my right arm upright holding on. I slipped about 3 inches, but my grip still held, and I had partially dislocated my shoulder. It went straight back in, and I thought nothing of it.

I then went to my Aikido class, was thrown and it happend again. It would always go back in straight away, and just hurt. I carried on triaining with like this for some weeks, (a bit stupid really). Then it came out and did not go back in on its own, my instructor had to push, it in, only gently, but after that I stopped going.

I have been to the hospital and they say I can have a operation which would fix this, but would reduce my flexability alot, in that arm.

It has not come out for over 2 years, but I am very cautious of it and no its limits, I cant for example hang on that arm anymore, as my body weight would definately pull it out.

So basically I have strecthed the tendons (?) and would like to use TCM to help.

Thx in advance for any help.

Dan

Maybe find a teacher who teaches Yi Jin Jing or other tendon exercising qigong. Many of my wrist problems I used to have disappered scince I dedicated a lot of time to practicing qigong.

Thx for the reply,

Thats a good idea about the teacher. I would also like so information more along the lines about what I could apply to it externally, some form of compress.

Any ideas ?

Dan

Qigong will ultimately offer the deepest results, imo. Yi Jin Jing will definitely produce results.

If you're looking for some herbals, I reccomend going to see a tcm doctor about your shoulder, and they can presrcibe something specific to your situation, either in the form of a compress, pill, or decoction. Remember, tcm is much more effective in terms of prevention and maintenance than it is in terms of curing. The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Medicine even states (I'm paraphrasing), "just as one does not begin to forge weapons when war is at hand, or dig a well when already thirsty, one should attend to one's health before one gets ill.. otherwise, it may already be too late." A TCM doctor will give you herbs that not only help your shoulder, but your general health as well.

If you don't have a tcm doctor available, I reccomend Thomas Joiner's "The Warrior as Healer." It's a great book with lots of different formulas regarding training, and has formulas dealing with everything from broken bones to unconsciousness.
    (note: if you get this book and break a bone, go see a doctor anyway.)

Xiao3 Meng4
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

yet another climber with dislocated shoulders.

At the meantime, work on your rotator cuffs with light weights and stabilise your shoulders. Then as you become strong, dead hangs without resting on your ligaments (ie with your muscles holding your weight) to further strengthen those joints, whilst you keep training those rotator cuffs...

OT : What sorts of stuff you climb ?

And be careful.

Thought some good TCM could sometimes do what appear to be better than conventional medicine, if you get bad treatment, the result could be far worse.

Remeber, TCM is not regulated so there are very hight chance that you hit the bad one. Since your problem is not urgent, keep looking.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

Thx for all the replies.

There are a few shops here in Leicester that have opened which do Chinese medicines I think Ill check a few out.

yet another climber with dislocated shoulders.

I used to do alot of bouldering work.

Dan

me too. Yeah I have friends from Sheffield trying to coax me into bumbling on hard core grit. I mostly boulder now too, and struggling to keep fit with work and all.

Dan - I am not sure where Leicester is really

hey mate - your up late, burning the midnight oil?
    look here for leicester, im in wolverhampton which is not too far away... think u have to type it in though.

dawood
    Last edited by dezhen2001; 04-24-2003 at 07:42 AM.
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

10. Thumbs up

You sure have seen a good orthopedist?
    Just to make sure.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-