Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "THE LAST SAMURAI" - Man, it's ALWAYS about the one white guy in the film, isn't it?

OT - Man, it's ALWAYS about the one white guy in the film, isn't it?

"In The Last Samurai, Tom Cruise stars as an American officer recruited by the Emperor of Japan to modernize his country's warfare techniques.
    Cruise's character ends up becoming quite taken by the samurais and their art form."

lmao
    where's my beer?

that sounds like a c.rappy movie

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Saw the preview for this movie at MATRIX 2...

EVERYONE in the thearter howled at sight of Tom Cruise playing mr Bas@ss Samurai...

The tragic thing is that with TC involved it's gonna have excellent production. Costumes, sets, etc... will surely be top notch... It's just a question of weither I could tolerate TOM getting in the way of the scenery...

> that sounds like a c.rappy movie

The words "Tom Cruise" are pretty much a guarantee of that.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

You guys are weird.

I'm definately waiting for this one.
    "Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability." -- Tai'ji Monkey

"Eh, IMO if you're bittching about what other people are doing instead of having intelligent (or stupid) conversation about kung fu or what your favorite beer is, you're spending too much time exploring your feminine side." -- Meat Shake

Nah I rather have the Mejican (Mexican) Aztec warrior acting as a samurai than the top gun white boy! lol. We already know that the American will mess up the traditional portryal of Japanese culture, hehe, he lacks Bushido. The Montezuma will have revenge on you! (I hope they put some Aikido moves in the movie).
    Milia Macerusk

Wait.....could a white dude do that back then?
    Just become a samurai back in the good ole Meiji Reconstruction Era?
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

I posted a thread on this movie several months ago, when I first heard about it. you may see more replies there
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

could a white dude do that back then?
    Well, Richard Chamberlin did it in SHOGON.... and that was WAYYYYYYYYY back in the early 80's....

O yea that was cool
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

They should have a native american guy play the part in that movie, because according to the movie Windtalkers: native american people look almost exactly like Japanese people.

And then the movie could have comic relief when he yells out in Japanese, "Im Indian You Stupid Fools!", and then gets chased around by samurais.

The Last Samurai

I finally saw it. I don't want to give anything away. I'll give it two grades.

Hollywood movie: B

Historical correctness: C-

It is a good movie and worth seeing at the theater. However, some of the events in the movie would not happen. I know it was LOOSELY about Saigo Takamori's last stand, but some of the things that people did would not be done. I am sorry, but I got my degree in Japanese studies focusing on this time period and it kind of bothered me.

Last Samurai

I was surprised this movie was great. i won't tell you what its about so go see it.