Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arnie on kung fu "Those are tricks for very puny small girlymen"

Arnie on kung fu "Those are tricks for very puny small girlymen"

While the action star doesn't want to disappoint, there is one thing you won't be seeing him do on film: a martial-arts move.
    Hong Kong style may be invading a number of action movies, such as The Matrix and almost any other action film on the market but Schwarzenegger says he won't be doing any high leg kicks or hand chops, period. Those are tricks for small men.
    "I love the Hong Kong style of action movies but that only looks good for small guys," the actor said on the set of T3.
    "The reason why the whole style was developed over there was because those guys were very puny guys -- they're not powerful looking guys."

I think he said that because he cant do it!!!
    And he thinks that you must be small to practice kung fu too
    he does Martial arts too, or so i thought(TKD right)???
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

He's not against MA entirely though, only the punches and kicks, I guess. He's the sponsor of a national level bjj tourney...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

well arnie was a body builder hahaha!

i think his choice of words would not have gone down so well infront of hardcore kung fu practicioners.but i think he didnt mean it with that much offence!

body builders cant do kung fu.thats fact i read somewhere.arnie looks powerful but couldnt do kung fu with much fluidity or flexibility

That's a fact I don't think I'd agree with
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

He has kicked and chopped in movies before.

Sounds like randomness.

strike!

First let me speak up for my country-man here.

1.) He is getting too old to do the actions required for MA style Movies.
    Even Jackie Chan is staring to take things easier.
    2.) He already had Heart surgery and needs to take things a bit easier.
    3.) His build and current image in the movies won't suit the MA style heroes.
    Imagine Stallone doing a MA Movie.

4.) I agree with him that MA is suited better for smaller type guys.
    Look at JVD and similar they are like lumbering oxes, ever wondered why all of JVD's kicks are on movies are split into sections and not showing the full kick.
    Sho Kosugi after "Black Eagle" said that JVD is too slow.
    Granted one punch/kick of JVD would end Sho , but than Sho reckoned he could 3 kicks/punches in before that 1 hit.

All in all I don't think that Arnie needs to do those flashy stunts. He is earning enough bucks with his current style of movies and other businesses.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Mizong_Kid
    body builders cant do kung fu.
    Isn't Bruce Lee a bodybuilder?
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure

No. Bruce Lee is dead.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I'm with Schwarzenegger on this one.

I'm a "puny" man, but I don't do many high kicks nor hand chops. And yes, kung fu likely was invented by "very puny guys" who sought to defend themselves against bigger opponents.

That's not to say that there aren't moves in kung fu that can't be used by larger opponents. But I do totally agree with his assessment of his inability to perform the movie moves (I can't do them either).

Let us never forget that Hong Kong movie style is NOT traditional combat kung fu. Most of that stuff would get a real person killed in a real fight.

Much ado about nothing.

When you boil it down, Arnie just said that he wouldn't look good doing HK action kung fu. Which is completely true. Arnie doing wushu would be clumsy and weird.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

okay, so WAS Bruce Lee a body builder?
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure

No.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Perhaps a little context here wouldn't go astray.

Arnie was asked if he'd do any matrix-style martial arts in Terminator 3. His response about the "little guys" had to do with the fact that Terminators are bl00dy great big heavy powerful machines, and as such don't use the finesse of martial artists.

The general public seem to get more out of muscle dudes like Arnold picking ordinary mortals up and throwing them through brick walls than watching him neatly and effortlessly unbalance a foe with a tricky use of push hands.

Stop trying to make controversy. I'd enjoy watching Arnold doing Wushu about as much as I'd enjoy a "weapons of mass destruction" lecture by GWB or our own limpdi(k PM Howard.

Hmm...I would like to see Arnold throw them through walls though...
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

Im with straight blast on this one. It would look too dang funny watching Arnold do a butterfly spin while fighting 5 guys.

And to say body builders can't do martial arts, I've seen several Hong Kong movies that have big, muscle bound men who fight.
    I have a signature.